Docking at Lisbon

dag144

We are taking the Ryndam Transatlantic next week (leaves from Barcelona in 10/26. We stop at Lisbon. Lisbon has several docking locations. Does anyone know for sure which one HAL uses, or does it change depending on what is free?

We want to hurry to several of our favorite places in the city.:p

We are taking the Ryndam Transatlantic next week (leaves from Barcelona in 10/26. We stop at Lisbon. Lisbon has several docking locations. Does anyone know for sure which one HAL uses, or does it change depending on what is free?

What is free? You mean that ships can actually dock for free?

When we docked in Lisbon - we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam. At that dock you had to take a shuttle - it made no difference to us as we had a private tour picking us up. Sadly, I don't know if that is the regular dock or not - the NA is larger than your ship so that might have made a difference too:confused:

Back in August, Ryndam docked at the Santa Apolónia terminal, about five miles up the Rio Tejo/River Tagus and close to the historic district of Alfama in central Lisbon. There are two additional cruise ship docks; Cais de Alcantara terminal, which is located under the 25th of April bridge (a Golden gate lookalike) and is the biggest, oldest pax pier and has the largest terminal building. It is used primarily for the big cruise ships and/or for those vessels who have a turn around day in Lisbon (which Ryndam does not). The third dock is the Cais da Rocha Conde de Óbidos terminal, about a mile or so up river, which has room for two medium sized cruise ships. None of them are "free". Looks like Ryndam is the only cruise ship in port on Halloween

Sorry about the word "free". By remember "free" has several meanings ie. free as in, it doesn't cost anything or "free as in available, not being used. I meant the latter for you who don't have a good command of the English language. Anyway, thanks to those who are literate I have my answer. To the rest get yourselves a dictionary!!

Sorry about the word "free". By remember "free" has several meanings ie. free as in, it doesn't cost anything or "free as in available, not being used. I meant the latter for you who don't have a good command of the English language. Anyway, thanks to those who are literate I have my answer. To the rest get yourselves a dictionary!!

You're more subtle than I.

We were just in Lisbon last week on the Rotterdam and docked at the Santa Apolonia location which is right next to the metro station. If you are at that dock, using the metro you can be in the center of Lisbon in minutes.

To the literate, the word "available" would have been more appropriate. Your insults are neither warranted or appropriate.

My son and his family live in Lisbon, and I have gotten to know the city fairly well. If you dock at Santa Apolonia, the Metro station is right there, but if you dock at Alcantara, which is the pier just east of the bridge, the nearest Metro is at the Cais do Sodre train station about a mile up the river bank. The #15 Tram runs in front of the pier, and will take you to Cais do Sodre in a few minutes. This tram will also take you to Belem with it's many tourist sites if you go the other way. The #714 Bus also runs between Alcantara and Cais do Sodre. Enjoy a wonderful city!

You are wise to ascertain where you will be docking. About a year ago, we thought we had docked in Lisbon about five miles from where we actually had. Our whole day ashore, we were trying to identify landmarks that weren't anywhere close to where we expected them to be. We still had a wonderful day; we just don't know where we had it?

Archived