Cruising with 4 month old, other than Disney?

3Mickeys

My parents are just starting discussion about a family reunion cruise to celebrate their 50th anniversary. I am the only one who has cruised before - two previous cruises on Disney - so they have asked me to help.

The problem... my niece is pregnant and expecting in March. My parents want to sail in July. 4 month old baby. Is there any line, other than Disney that lets you sail with a baby that young? We were looking at Carnival and NCL because they are local for us.

Are we just out of luck in this situation? Or do they ever make exceptions? If it makes a difference, we are looking at a 4 night Canada cruise out of Boston, so a very short itinerary that is very close to shore.

I know traveling with a newborn has risks, so don't need a lecture on safety. Just curious if there are any exceptions. Thanks for your thoughts.

That's what I was afraid of. My parents don't want to pick an option that so obviously excludes one family member. And we can't push the trip later as there are grandchildren starting college.

Guess we won't be cruising.

:(

I'm so sorry for your disappointment, and I hope that you will find a wonderful way to celebrate together other than a cruise.

I'm also remembering where I was at when my daughter was 4 months old - not sleeping through the night! Feeding multiple times per day, multiple naps....it just wasn't a great time to go on a trip. All babies and families are different, and hopefully your niece will have it easier, but maybe there could be a trip where everyone gathers in the town where the new baby is in order to make it easier on the family with the new baby? Just a thought.

I would also double check with your niece, and make sure she is interested in going on the family vacation. I remember when our DD was 4 months old, and the thought of trying to really travel with her was still a bit daunting. We still weren't really sleeping, and felt like zombies most of the time. I think we would have probably passed on a big vacation at that age. Just driving two hours to spend the weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's felt overwhelming (though it was definitely manageable).

Could you look into renting a cabin or house somewhere, either in the mountains, or at the beach? That might be a viable alternative.

Archived