Tips for flying to Singapore

lovevacadays

Singapore Airlines set the high standard for flying to Singapore, for sure. Even economy class is very acceptable. I don't know if I wanted to fly that many hours in economy, but for a 'shorter' flight through Europe it is acceptable.

Given your location I'm pretty sure you'd take a route over the Pacific?

What class are you willing to fly in? Because if you are flying business, I wouldn't even mind taking a little detour along Europe ;-)

You have several good options for flying to Asia. I'd name some of my favorite airlines, ignoring the routes you need to take:

- Etihad

- Singapore

- Emirates

- Cathay

- ANA

All of them very solid choices if you are flying to or from Asia.

Singapore Airlines set the high standard for flying to Singapore, for sure. Even economy class is very acceptable. I don't know if I wanted to fly that many hours in economy, but for a 'shorter' flight through Europe it is acceptable.

Given your location I'm pretty sure you'd take a route over the Pacific?

What class are you willing to fly in? Because if you are flying business, I wouldn't even mind taking a little detour along Europe ;-)

You have several good options for flying to Asia. I'd name some of my favorite airlines, ignoring the routes you need to take:

- Etihad

- Singapore

- Emirates

- Cathay

- ANA

All of them very solid choices if you are flying to or from Asia.

All the Europe options add many hours to this flight. Singapore Airlines is one of the best in the world. Not sure I would add 10 or more hours to this trip just to go thru Emirates or Etihad.

Cathay isn't a bad second choice, but they aren't non-stop like Singapore Airlines.

Hi,

Any tips for getting reasonable flights to Singapore? Any airlines you like to use?

How do you handle a 20 or so hour flight? The longest I've flown in one stretch is probably about 5 hours.

As others have said Singapore Airlines is a top quality airline, for economy passengers, with first class entertainment which helps makes the time pass quicker.

I have just booked my daughter on a flight on Singapore Airlines, from JFK (1 stop) to Singapore, for next month.

If you are flying from the West Coast your flight should be shorter than 20 hours.

It was the least expensive "quality" airline.

LAX-SIN will present you with many choices and options. If you want a non-stop, your only choice is Singapore Airlines (SQ). Once you get beyond that, you have a true smorgasbord of choices. So, to get your brain working (or overloaded), here are some questions for you to consider.

1) Do you want to fly non-stop for 17 hours and 45 minutes? That's the SQ non-stop. Or would you prefer to break it up?

2) If you would prefer to break up the trip, do you want one longish segment and one shorter or a more balanced division?

3) Do you want to fly via Europe or via Asia? You can route in either direction. Europe adds European airlines to your choices.

4) Do you have a particular airline/alliance that you want to fly for FF mileage purposes? A significant consideration in that you would earn at least 17,500 miles for a round trip (and much more via Europe). Not a shabby number or something you want to "orphan".

5) Would you be interested in a short (under 24 hour) break to sightsee a city along the way? You can arrange for a "free stopover" if you connect within 24 hours. Some creative planning can give you extra vacation spots.

6) Does equipment matter? For example, you could take SQ via Tokyo and fly on the A380. Or Emirates would be a 380 from DXB to SIN.

7) And the big one....does absolute bottom-line lowest price overwhelm any other consideratons? If not, are you willing to assign "values" to the various factors to determine what's the best price-performance choice?

A couple of side thoughts:

1) Routing through Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong or Taipei really is not out of the way. All are within a hundred miles of the non-stop mileage LAX-SIN. All close to the great circle between LAX and SIN.

2) Routing through SFO adds still more options and it's not that far from LAX.

3) Asian carriers tend to have better reputations than those from the USA. But that doesn't apply to all. Singapore (SQ), Cathay Pacific (CX), Asiana (OZ), and Malaysia (MH) are above average. You could also route on Emirates through Dubai (DXB) if interested in experiencing their service and/or seeing DXB.

4) Plan on arriving in SIN a few days before your cruise. It's a WONDERFUL city, and you'll want time to be a tourist. Night zoo, Jurong Bird Park, Chinatown, Arab Street and much more. (Plus you'll want some time to adjust to the time change).

Yes, it's a lot to consider. Take your time and mull this over. I'll be happy to expand on any of these items if you'd like. Just post your follow-up questions.

Hi,

Any tips for getting reasonable flights to Singapore? Any airlines you like to use?

How do you handle a 20 or so hour flight? The longest I've flown in one stretch is probably about 5 hours.

Two words: business class.

Once, I took the JFK to Singapore flight. I got off the plane in Frankfurt and walked around the airport to break up the trip. There are many entertainment options and a chance for several naps. Now I compare all other airlines to Singapore Air. Nothing comes close.

How do you handle a 20 or so hour flight?
Sleep (in whatever class).

Of course, business class is nice, and first class is even nicer. But those are rare treats for me on my long flights.

Cathay isn't a bad second choice ...
Cathay Pacific does have one potential winning advantage over Singapore Airlines, IMHO: premium economy. It's in the process of being introduced, so you do have to be careful to investigate where and when you might be able to get it. But this is a real boon for long-haul flights.

Important note: No US airline currently offers premium economy, whatever their marketing departments may seek to mislead you into believing.

Know the rules. Singapore has tight drug laws! They also take prison sentences very seriously. We always lock our luggage going into Singapore to prevent stuff being 'added' to our luggage.

Some Rx drugs and over the counter drugs which are legal in the US are illegal in Singapore. Sudafed is illegal in Singapore. Singapore Air does complete baggage searches before the baggage is loaded on the planes. If something is questionable it does not fly and neither will you.

I've flown to Singapore in economy and found it above average for service, entertainment and meals. My habit is to fly to the West Coast, stay overnight in a nice hotel and then fly on to Singapore. That way I am over the departure stress and fatigue. I have a long drive to my home area airport.

The toilets on Singapore air are cleaned frequently and stay nice.

LAX-SIN will present you with many choices and options. If you want a non-stop, your only choice is Singapore Airlines (SQ). Once you get beyond that, you have a true smorgasbord of choices. So, to get your brain working (or overloaded), here are some questions for you to consider.

1) Do you want to fly non-stop for 17 hours and 45 minutes? That's the SQ non-stop. Or would you prefer to break it up?

My original thought was that non-stop might be the way to go since I'm not the best flyer. I thought I just would like to get it done. But, after thinking about it I'm wondering if I should break it up as I'm not quite sure if I could handle 17 or 18 hours of straight flying. I'm going to have to think about this one. How long would typical layovers be?

2) If you would prefer to break up the trip, do you want one longish segment and one shorter or a more balanced division?

Good question. What would you suggest for someone who isn't a regular flyer and not the best flyer.

3) Do you want to fly via Europe or via Asia? You can route in either direction. Europe adds European airlines to your choices.

I'm on the West Coast. Which would provide the least amount of flying time?

4) Do you have a particular airline/alliance that you want to fly for FF mileage purposes? A significant consideration in that you would earn at least 17,500 miles for a round trip (and much more via Europe). Not a shabby number or something you want to "orphan".

I don't

5) Would you be interested in a short (under 24 hour) break to sightsee a city along the way? You can arrange for a "free stopover" if you connect within 24 hours. Some creative planning can give you extra vacation spots.

I had not thought about this but might be something to consider. Any suggestions as to places that might be enroute that wouldn't take me too far off route as to add a significant amount to total flying time?

6) Does equipment matter? For example, you could take SQ via Tokyo and fly on the A380. Or Emirates would be a 380 from DXB to SIN.

I prefer larger planes but don't know alot about which are which. I have only flown within the US. Since I will most likely do coach or premium coach I would say leg room, etc would be important.

7) And the big one....does absolute bottom-line lowest price overwhelm any other consideratons? If not, are you willing to assign "values" to the various factors to determine what's the best price-performance choice?

Absolute bottom-line lowest price isn't a necessity but price is definitely a strong consideration. I looked at Business Class prices and don't think I can pay them. Unless I get a large sale at work that I can apply directly to my airfare.:D:D:D

A couple of side thoughts:

1) Routing through Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong or Taipei really is not out of the way. All are within a hundred miles of the non-stop mileage LAX-SIN. All close to the great circle between LAX and SIN.

What would be the advantage of this?

2) Routing through SFO adds still more options and it's not that far from LAX.

3) Asian carriers tend to have better reputations than those from the USA. But that doesn't apply to all. Singapore (SQ), Cathay Pacific (CX), Asiana (OZ), and Malaysia (MH) are above average. You could also route on Emirates through Dubai (DXB) if interested in experiencing their service and/or seeing DXB.

4) Plan on arriving in SIN a few days before your cruise. It's a WONDERFUL city, and you'll want time to be a tourist. Night zoo, Jurong Bird Park, Chinatown, Arab Street and much more. (Plus you'll want some time to adjust to the time change).

This trip is actually going to be my first land vacation in many years. Vacations for the last 15 years have been cruises for me. I have a cousin and her partner that recently retired, sold their home and are traveling the world for 2 years. They will be in Southeast Asia from about April-October of next year. They will be in Singapore on May 24th. I plan on meeting them there and spending about 10 days.

I would like knowing what other areas outside of Singapore might be good to explore.

I have started to read the ports of call forum for Asia and have done some research on TripAdvisor. I'm thinking I might fall in love with the area and have to go back and do a cruise to get a taste of other Southeast Asia ports. Do you know of any other websites that might be good to look at for travel to Singapore? I'm also starting to put thought into total budget for my trip.

Yes, it's a lot to consider. Take your time and mull this over. I'll be happy to expand on any of these items if you'd like. Just post your follow-up questions.

I really appreciate all your points above.

My original thought was that non-stop might be the way to go since I'm not the best flyer. I thought I just would like to get it done. But, after thinking about it I'm wondering if I should break it up as I'm not quite sure if I could handle 17 or 18 hours of straight flying. I'm going to have to think about this one. How long would typical layovers be?

They can be as short or as long as you want to make them. You could take a short connection, so that you have time to get off the aircraft and walk around for 20 or 30 minutes before getting on the next flight to your destination - this would minimise the overall travel time as much as possible without a non-stop flight. Or you could programme in several days at the connection point, thus turning into a stopover.

I prefer larger planes but don't know alot about which are which. I have only flown within the US. Since I will most likely do coach or premium coach I would say leg room, etc would be important.

There's no necessary correlation between size of aircraft and amount of personal space, whether it's legroom or shoulder room. You always have to look at the dimensions of the seats and configuation that the airline uses on each possible aircraft on which you might be flying.

Some aircraft are known generally to provide more pleasant flying experiences. The A380 is one in that category. IMHO, this is largely because it's an extremely quiet aircraft. But you don't necessarily get more legroom than on a smaller aircraft, nor will the seats necessarily be any wider.

What you can be reasonably assured of on these routes is that you won't be flying in anything as small as the aircraft that routinely do the short hops within the US.

What would be the advantage of this?

I don't think there's any particular advantage about these places. These are simply the obvious places to build in a connection or a stopover if that's what you decide to do - "obvious" in the sense that they don't add to the flying distance and therefore don't unreasonably prolong the flying time. The comparison would be flying from Los Angeles to Singapore via Sydney, where you're literally going thousands of miles and many hours out of your way to make the connection there.

Two words: business class.

I know I should have put a smiley face next to that; however if your longest flight experience is in the 5-hour range, then a transpacific crossing, never mind then going on to Southeast Asia, is simply not something that can be compared to shorter flights. Singapore is significantly farther from LA than even Australia, so picking your flights is pretty important, unless you're made of steel.

Business class is indeed awfully expensive - probably close to $4000 round trip (by the way, is this round trip, or are you returning from somewhere else?) and unless you have 120,000 or so frequent flyer miles (which, by the way, is not an impossible number to acquire through credit card signups, even purchasing miles for a couple of cents per mile) then most people won't consider business class unless someone else is paying.

[Although, truth be told, Singapore Airlines has a terrific round-the-world ticket that they sell in business class for under $5300 in the US, pretty good value considering.]

So if that number is too big, what else can you do to keep from sitting in a cramped chair for 20 or so hours?

If it were me flying from LAX, I'd take EVA Air's premium economy product to Singapore with a short (3-4 hour) stopover at EVA's home base in Taipei. Premium economy gets you a seat that's a couple of inches wider than regular coach, and at least 5, and maybe 6 or 7 additional inches of legroom. That means you can recline your seat a little more than in coach, and the extra width means you can sit at an angle or move around more easily. Plus each seat has its own electricity supply, so if you run out of things on the in-flight video, you can plug in your laptop or ipad and keep on going; 20 hours is way, way past the dead zone for other devices' batteries.

Of course it will cost a little more than regular coach, but EVA's PE is a solid product, and EVA is a solid airline (joining Star Alliance next year, so mileage-earning with United, US Airways, Air Canada et al) and the price ought to be tolerable compared with straight business class.

Agree with the comment on EVA Air. Michelle, since you also live in OC check with a Taiwanese or Vietnamese friend or colleague. The TA's who cater to their ethnic communities often get good fares on EVA.

That said, some of the tickets are consolidator tickets. Read the sticky and understand the potential issues with non-published fare tickets, and how to identify them.

If you choose to fly Cathay Pacific economy, beware of the hard shell seats that don't recline, which become uncomfortable on long haul flights.
Actually, these seats do recline, but they do so by sliding the seat pan forward within the hard shell so that the reclined seat does not encroach into the face space of the person in the seat directly behind. This means that when you recline, you reduce your own knee space.

I seem to recall the prospect of seats of this type receiving much approval here when they were first mooted, because of the fear that so many people have of a seat back reclining towards their faces.

The reality, of course, is as MMDown Under mentions: they have been a passenger-experience disaster.

The good news is that it looks like Cathay Pacific is gradually removing these seats as aircraft are refitted, and putting in seats of a more conventional type whose return has been welcomed by passengers. Like CX's premium economy, it's worth doing some research to find out where and when the new economy seats will make an appearance.

snip...I seem to recall the prospect of seats of this type receiving much approval here when they were first mooted, because of the fear that so many people have of a seat back reclining towards their faces.

The reality, of course, is as MMDown Under mentions: they have been a passenger-experience disaster.snip...

We thought these seats on Cathay were a lot better than the ¨normal´type of recliner

Sandy in Spain

Let's try to work through these:

1) How long would typical layovers be?
An international connection on this type of routing probably starts at about an hour and a half. They go up from there. Depending on the circumstances, you'll sometimes have multiple options for your onward connection. You do NOT have to take the first flight out - on an international itinerary, you can have up to 24 hours for a connect and not break the fare (meaning it splits into LAX-XXX and XXX-SIN, which is often more expensive). So a big consideration is....do I just want to get there as fast as possible?
2) If you would prefer to break up the trip, do you want one longish segment and one shorter or a more balanced division? Good question. What would you suggest for someone who isn't a regular flyer and not the best flyer.
I would be more inclinded to have one "long segment" and then a shorter one. Connecting in either HKG or TPE makes the second flight "only" a bit over 4 hours. Via NRT, the flight times from LAX are about 12 hours to Tokyo and then another 7:45 to SIN.

3) Do you want to fly via Europe or via Asia? I'm on the West Coast. Which would provide the least amount of flying time?
Trans-Pacific is much shorter. Europe routing gives you 1) more choice of carriers, 2) opportunity to long-connect along the way at a Euro city and 3) more FF miles. :)
4) Do you have a particular airline/alliance that you want to fly for FF mileage purposes? I don't
Be sure to pick one before you go. At a 2 cent metric, it's a virtual rebate of $350.
5) Would you be interested in a short (under 24 hour) break to sightsee a city along the way? I had not thought about this but might be something to consider. Any suggestions as to places that might be enroute that wouldn't take me too far off route as to add a significant amount to total flying time?
I would look into a long connect in Hong Kong. Much that you could see and do. Plus, you may be able to get a fare with a free stopover (more than 24 hours) with Cathay.
6) Does equipment matter? For example, you could take SQ via Tokyo and fly on the A380. Or Emirates would be a 380 from DXB to SIN. I prefer larger planes but don't know alot about which are which. I have only flown within the US. Since I will most likely do coach or premium coach I would say leg room, etc would be important.
No coach product is going to be huge. As mentioned, premium economy is something to look into (and EVA has a good one by most reports), as well as the various "comfort" products - which is NOT the same as premium economy. Caveat emptor.
1) Routing through Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong or Taipei really is not out of the way. All are within a hundred miles of the non-stop mileage LAX-SIN. All close to the great circle between LAX and SIN. What would be the advantage of this?
Looking at a "flat map", it would seem that Tokyo is way out of the way in flying LAX-SIN. But due to the earth's curvature, it's actually along the way. Just wanted you to think in terms of great circles.
I would like knowing what other areas outside of Singapore might be good to explore.
Once in SIN, you aren't that far (in relative terms) from Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Saigon or Bali (Denpassar). Depending on your time considerations, you could actually construct an open jaw and use one of the Asian discount carriers in between SIN and your other point. For example, you could fly into SIN, then take SilkAir to Bangkok and return to LAX from there. Beware that the discounters have stiffer baggage limits.

Lots to ponder.

Now, if you want to start playing with your various options, I would suggest a visit to ITA Software: matrix.itasoftware.com Have fun!

Let's try to work through these:An international connection on this type of routing probably starts at about an hour and a half. They go up from there. Depending on the circumstances, you'll sometimes have multiple options for your onward connection. You do NOT have to take the first flight out - on an international itinerary, you can have up to 24 hours for a connect and not break the fare (meaning it splits into LAX-XXX and XXX-SIN, which is often more expensive). So a big consideration is....do I just want to get there as fast as possible?I would be more inclinded to have one "long segment" and then a shorter one. Connecting in either HKG or TPE makes the second flight "only" a bit over 4 hours. Via NRT, the flight times from LAX are about 12 hours to Tokyo and then another 7:45 to SIN.

Trans-Pacific is much shorter. Europe routing gives you 1) more choice of carriers, 2) opportunity to long-connect along the way at a Euro city and 3) more FF miles. :)Be sure to pick one before you go. At a 2 cent metric, it's a virtual rebate of $350.I would look into a long connect in Hong Kong. Much that you could see and do. Plus, you may be able to get a fare with a free stopover (more than 24 hours) with Cathay.No coach product is going to be huge. As mentioned, premium economy is something to look into (and EVA has a good one by most reports), as well as the various "comfort" products - which is NOT the same as premium economy. Caveat emptor.Looking at a "flat map", it would seem that Tokyo is way out of the way in flying LAX-SIN. But due to the earth's curvature, it's actually along the way. Just wanted you to think in terms of great circles.Once in SIN, you aren't that far (in relative terms) from Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Saigon or Bali (Denpassar). Depending on your time considerations, you could actually construct an open jaw and use one of the Asian discount carriers in between SIN and your other point. For example, you could fly into SIN, then take SilkAir to Bangkok and return to LAX from there. Beware that the discounters have stiffer baggage limits.

Lots to ponder.

Now, if you want to start playing with your various options, I would suggest a visit to ITA Software: matrix.itasoftware.com Have fun!

You are the best! Thank you for all these things to consider. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along.

Singapore Air has a non-stop. It is around 15 hours. That is the shortest way you can do this flight.
LAX-SIN will present you with many choices and options. If you want a non-stop, your only choice is Singapore Airlines (SQ). ...

As this SQ non-stops to Singapore have been mentioned, this seems to be the appropriate place for today's news.

SQ's non-stops from the US to Singapore (ie LAX-SIN and EWR-SIN) will be discontinued from the "fourth quarter of the 2013 calendar year". My guess is that the last flights will be about 26 or 27 October 2013, for reasons which many here will understand.

Archived