South Pacific Port or Starboard

2poolesrus

Well we are booked now on the Oceania Marina South Pacific Isles March 26th, 2014. I know it is a long, long way out but I am over the top excited for our first Oceania cruise and to a bucket list location.:D

We booked a concierge A2 mid ship port side. I like to see the islands or land when we are coming into dock.

Did I pick the correct side to see the view of the islands?

sailing from Australia to Tahiti the sunset side is Port and the sunrise side is Starboard,. Sailing around the islands wou will be far enough off that you will not see much. Sailing Papeete to Cooks bay Moorea... port arriving and Starboard in the morning at anchor will give the best view in all Tahiti... way better than Bora.

Suprisingly I find dawn and pre-dawn to be way scenic and colorful than sunset, with the possible exception of green flashes on the horizon

Sailing into Bora, on top deck foward... NOT in the cabin. Best seen in pre dawn at 0500 if sailing in from the north, or south on deck.... It Island goes through about 10 color changes that are most dramatic.

In all the other ports the ship will swing on her rhode 180 degrees. so no one side has a total advantage.

Consider that around 11 to 12 all the summits of the mountains are covered by clouds so morning is always better most time

Having sailed in these waters since 1983.. ( dont do the math) there is a wonderful thing many never observe. In the Latitudes less than 18 degrees S or N the strong sun heats up the sea and creates these long chains of thunder heads. They are very tall and narrow and seem to bunch in long lines that look like a picket fence..

When on deck in the pre dawn hours, looking east, they start out deep purple, then to blue and green and yellow.. no red thats in the evening when looking west. Anyway, dont forget to look for the this color show even if your pointing west.... look east !! You will not regret it

Bora too sailing from east to west ( which is the std route of approach to the pass) will first be a black shape that then goes purple... and finaly green. Its great... but the cloud show is even better:D

If you want the coolest tour in Bora... book a private wave runner circle island tour...its the best tour I have ever done ever....You go all over the lagoon for several hours. They have one in Huahinie too that is a 7 hour tour with snorkeling, picknick, reys, exploring and a drink at a hotel....

I cant wait to be back.... will be there in November and again in April with Marina in 14...

You enjoy your trip....and look around in different directions... you might be suprised

Thank you Hawaiidan - I cant wait for the show. As for the bora bora tour that was exactly what we were thinking about. I saw one post that talked about the wave runners. I think we will both get one versus sharing. I heard the tour is a couple of hours.

They pick you up at the dock and drive you to Matri point and the hotel there. You pick up your wave runner and go past the ship, clockwise, arounf the island...then slip in for a snack in a little moiti, before zippping back 2.5 hours later... no snorkel. My wife and I each got a waver rinner after I dumped her off in Moorea. They are about $230 for each runner.

Just friggen fantastic and the bast tour on Bora, which you can go around 2 times in 3 hours.

Huhihunie ( sp) if you stop there has an even better one for $270 per wave runner. Its a 6-7 hour figure of 8 tour around the 3 lagoons that comprise

the island. It includes snorkeling and gear, lunch, feeding reys, exploring, and a final drink at the bar ... The wave runners here hold up to 3 but you can elect to go alone. Thats my choice for domestic bliss.

Seriously, the thing to do in just about all the islands is explore the sea and lagoon. Thid is what is unique about these places. The land tours are short, contrived, and boring and all you see are a ton of hotels with the exception of Moorea ( which also has a wave runner tour fron the intercontinental hotel for 2 hours and rey feeding too.

Get wet or forever regret.........;)

Have fun.... you can alwsays get more money...ya'cant get more time:rolleyes:

Have fun.... you can alwsays get more money...ya'cant get more time:rolleyes:

I totally agree - I lost my mother earlier this year after a terrible two year battle with cancer and she always wanted to see "really blue water" and never got to do that. So for me- from now on there is no time like the present. There is a big bucket list of places and activities that are going to get crossed off.

thanks again for the advice on Bora Bora and Huahine.

Archived