Surge protector on a princess cruise?

mommy5

3 Prong is strongly recommended.

I like the Belkin 3 port minis with 2 USB ports.

People rave about the Belkin and I have one but I am glad I also brought a power strip style surge suppressor with an 18 inch cord. The Belkin would not stay far enough in the ONE plug in our Window Suite to make contact. Only the power strip cord worked. The WS on the Golden does not have the same two outlet/phone cord connection as most Princess cabins. Worked great in our Oceanview cabin on the Coral also and has six connections. I know it is heresy, but my Belkin has been retired from cruising after only three cruises (will never reach Platinum status).

Are you talking power strip or surge protector? I believe that all surge protectors will be 3-pronged because they need the ground prong.

You are correct.

Agreed!

tumblr_lteksd6XA31ql8frk.jpg

Another vote for this little jewel. The USB ports are wonderful for charging things like phones, iPods, tablets/iPads, etc., without taking up an outlet that you might need for other things.

It's also great for airports with limited outlets. I've become very popular when I let others near me plug in, as well. :)

People rave about the Belkin and I have one but I am glad I also brought a power strip style surge suppressor with an 18 inch cord. The Belkin would not stay far enough in the ONE plug in our Window Suite to make contact. Only the power strip cord worked. The WS on the Golden does not have the same two outlet/phone cord connection as most Princess cabins. Worked great in our Oceanview cabin on the Coral also and has six connections. I know it is heresy, but my Belkin has been retired from cruising after only three cruises (will never reach Platinum status).

based upon posts on CC I purchased a Belkin and used it on one cruise. I didn't like it as all the power cords had to be plugged in at one point. After a couple days I switched to the power strip I fortunately had taken with me. So now my Belkin is used in my bedroom where I recharge my iPhone (usb) and my iPad (an AC outlet) during the night. I think the Belkin is fine in certain circumstances, but I don't think a cruise is it.

Ditto, a surge protector has a grounded plug.

We no longer bring a surge protector ever since ours set off an alarm on some control panel on the ship. We came back to our cabin to find a note that it had been taken it, left an acceptable one as a substitute, and would return it at the end of the cruise. Now we just take a multiple outlet cord without any surge protection.

Then it's just a power strip, how can it protect without a ground?

Ya, I think there is some confusion about what the difference is between a power strip and a surge protector.

I have always thought that surge protectors are a waste of money. Nearly all people will go through their entire lifetime without ever having a power surge damage any of their devices. And if it does happen even with the protector the device often still gets damaged anyway.

Ya, I think there is some confusion about what the difference is between a power strip and a surge protector.

I have always thought that surge protectors are a waste of money. Nearly all people will go through their entire lifetime without ever having a power surge damage any of their devices. And if it does happen even with the protector the device often still gets damaged anyway.

We live in an area with what is called "dirty power". People around us burn out computer boards on those fancy appliances and TVs all the time. We now have a whole house surge protector and haven't had an issue since.

All surge protectors have to have all three prongs with the round prong being the ground (a ground is not needed for AC which is referred to as floating). The modern ship's power is clean so a surge protector is probably not needed.

At home I would use a surge protector because you never know what may happen. A power transformer going out could cause problems and in most areas, several houses will be connected to the same transformer as long as they are close together (such as a city neighborhood). Lightening strikes are the biggest threat however which only has to stike in the vicinity taking out all unprotected electronic devices including TVs. Don't forget to put a surge protector on your TVs.

The third prong can drain away dangerous voltage even in AC. The wiring system can then know there is a problem. Modern circuits can detect peaks in voltage even in two wires and will also break the circuit.

I buy and use surge protectors much as I do insurance. You do not know the size or severity of the event you are protecting against. My insurance protects me from loss from a fender bender or even a major collision. Likewise, the curve protector can intercept small bumps in the power or moderate peaks. (Some do this by burning out internally. I had one which would just not reset. It may have stopped a big peak from getting to the stereo.) However, some accidents are too much for your insurance. They are rare and you count on that when you buy the plan. And some electrical events are too much for any protector. They are graded for joules and response time. Read the label.

PS: I don't think a surge protector is of great value on a ship, but you may. It's your luggage to pack.

I think the more likely risk is power failure and then most stuff just turns off. Entirely different technology to protect in that case but it usually applies to computers, but not laptops which just switch to battery.

Then it's just a power strip, how can it protect without a ground?

Read its spec numbers. With or without the ground, it still does same (and limited) protection. From a surge that typically does no damage. You have assumed a power strip, called a protector, is same as another completely different device called a 'whole house' protector. A 'whole house' protector does protection from all types of surges because it makes the low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meter') connection a different ground - a dedicated connection to the hull. Already provided by the ship. That power strip is too far away; is only connected to a safety ground.

Appliances already contain superior protection. Anything that power strip might do is already done better inside appliances. Power strips without protectors circuits are safer. Do not create a fire risk. And do not create other problems such as PescadoAmarillo noted.

A third prong does human safety. As defined by safety codes. Third prong does nothing if appliances are two prong type.

Archived