Alcohol onboard?

Denpetter

I'm not an alcoholic (at least I won't admit) but I like to have a drink or few while I'm on vacation.

I've heard horror stories about ridiculous alcohol prices onboard.

We are soon off on our first cruise ever, onboard the Allure of the seas and I was wondering if you could give me some inside information on the prices of drinks onboard...and will it be worth the hassle to get those rum runners flasks?

Thanks for any advice!

:) Dennis

The OP is from Finland, so I think the prices on board will be steep for him. Mixed drinks and martinis can run up to $10. Wine around $7- $10 a glass. Not sure about beer since I don't drink it.

They have drink specials every day for around $7, including a souvenir glass.

I'm not an alcoholic (at least I won't admit) but I like to have a drink or few while I'm on vacation.

I've heard horror stories about ridiculous alcohol prices onboard.

We are soon off on our first cruise ever, onboard the Allure of the seas and I was wondering if you could give me some inside information on the prices of drinks onboard...and will it be worth the hassle to get those rum runners flasks?

Thanks for any advice!

:) Dennis

Drink prices on the ship are comparable to prices in restaurants here in the US. Most wines by the glass and mixed drinks will be $7 to $12.

The OP is from Finland, so I think the prices on board will be steep for him. Mixed drinks and martinis can run up to $10. Wine around $7- $10 a glass. Not sure about beer since I don't drink it.

They have drink specials every day for around $7, including a souvenir glass.

Thanks pcur!

Those prices sound almost like a bargin for me!

Here in Finland we pay about 16usd for a glass of wine in any restaurant.

:p Dennis

In that case, the rum runners would definitely not be worth it. Once you factor in the cost of the rum runners themselves, and the hassle of going back to the room, etc. I find it's easier to just buy my drinks most of the time. Carnival will sell you bottles for your room, but even carrying around a flask, we have had a difficult time even finishing one. It's easier to just buy one where we are, and that way, we have more choices about what to drink as well. :D

Drink prices on the ship are comparable to prices in restaurants here in the US. Most wines by the glass and mixed drinks will be $7 to $12.

Ok good!

Some of my relatives (in the US) warned us about the prices of drinks onboard... But I guess it's nothing compared to the prices in Finland or any other Nordic country for that matter.

Thanks, D

Ok good!

Some of my relatives (in the US) warned us about the prices of drinks onboard... But I guess it's nothing compared to the prices in Finland or any other Nordic country for that matter.

Thanks, D

I think the drink prices on board are reasonable. I travel to downtown Chicago regularly, and the the prices on the ship are much lower than I find there.

Prices have gone up in recent years...a beer used to be in the $3 range, but we don't enjoy just sitting in our room and drinking...being out at a bar is much more fun! So, we'll pay the price.

Bringing booze is just too much hassle!

A beer will be close to $6

Well..I think I can live with that.

6$ for a beer is ok. Slightly more than bar prices in Finland (4€ per pint).

Anyhow, the whole experience will probably be one of a kind.

I already started planning our next cruise, for july 2013.

:D

Prices have gone up in recent years...a beer used to be in the $3 range, but we don't enjoy just sitting in our room and drinking...being out at a bar is much more fun! So, we'll pay the price.

Bringing booze is just too much hassle!

That's exacly what I've been told.

But I'm not the kind of a guy to go through all the hassle and fear of smuggling booze on a cruise.

I think we'll just buy the wine package and buy the occational cocktail on the sundeck, if we feel like it!

Ok good!

Thanks, D

I learn something new every day. I would have thought prices would be lower where you live.

Be sure to book your July 2013 cruise on board the ship to get the onboard credit and reduced deposit.

my hubby paid just under $15 for 2 small bottles of cider - 15% tip and similar in Spanish tax - which everyone pays if the ship leave from Spain - so for 3 pints of cider ( 2 small bottles) it was expensive

We did get some free drink though as we tipped the bar staff extra, and they where strong. Hubby also got a free bottle of Sheridans from spending so much on tobacco for the duty free shop - went down a treat the last night of the cruise

my hubby paid just under $15 for 2 small bottles of cider - 15% tip and similar in Spanish tax - which everyone pays if the ship leave from Spain - so for 3 pints of cider ( 2 small bottles) it was expensive

We did get some free drink though as we tipped the bar staff extra, and they where strong. Hubby also got a free bottle of Sheridans from spending so much on tobacco for the duty free shop - went down a treat the last night of the cruise

Ok, I see.. Cider is as common as beer here in Finland, and costs about 2-5€ a pint, so 15$ for 2 small ciders seems pretty unreasonable.

But then again, I paid 15$ for a beer at the Aria hotel pool in Vegas, last summer.:eek:

we just came off the allure. i was drinking jim beam and coke. they were around 6.35 tip included.drinks of the day were 6.25 plus tip. beers were 4.25 and up. you can buy a beer bag. 1st time you buy 8 beers with the bag. after that you buy 7 and get the 8th free. saturday we bought a rum drink made in a real pineapple for 7.00. all in all prices were reasonable.

The drink prices onboard are about 1/2 of what I normally pay in a bar. With the exception of beer which is still a dollar or so less. But that's the area of the state I live in. Only an hour and a half away, they are in line with ship prices.

I don't think they're half what we pay but they are substantially less. That's why I marvel when I hear people elsewhere call cruise prices outrageous. My next line is usually, "Really? Where are you from because I'm packing my bags?"

Archived