Cruise either Florida or New Orleans

AmazingTrans

Hi everybody,

I am deciding whether to book a cruise departing from new orleans or florida to the caribbean.?

So far, I have only done research on the caribbean cruises. Not sure where does the cruise in new orleans head to? I am planning for a late december cruise. Which would somebody recommend for a first timer?

Really all depends on where you are wanting to visit and what port may be easier for you to travel to.

My opinion, I'd say choose to cruise out of Florida as you'll have a lot more options to choose from.

Port Canaveral

Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale)

Miami

All offer some great cruises at some great prices and generally fairly easy to fly in and out of.

If your new to cruising, I'd recommend cruising out of Miami on the Carnival Breeze. That's Carnival's newest ship and offers some great ports to visit at a good price point.

I'm looking at cruising out of NOLA in the summer. It'll be a return to the city for a few of us, but for others in the group it'll be their second cruise and first time in N.O. We're looking at it as two trips in one. Spend a few days in NOLA before the cruise exploring or re-exploring the city, then hop on the ship for a weeks cruise in the western caribbean. It'l be a great vacation if we can get everyone to agree to this cruise (lol).

I'm looking at cruising out of NOLA in the summer. It'll be a return to the city for a few of us, but for others in the group it'll be their second cruise and first time in N.O. We're looking at it as two trips in one. Spend a few days in NOLA before the cruise exploring or re-exploring the city, then hop on the ship for a weeks cruise in the western caribbean. It'l be a great vacation if we can get everyone to agree to this cruise (lol).

Fair warning: NOLA is miserable in the summer!

I think everyone should sail out of NOLA at least once. It's a unique 8 hour journey down the Mighty Mississippi that you can't get out of any other port. There's lots to see, do and eat there as well. But they only do western Caribbean itineraries right now (that I know of). It is worth doing at least once (we'll do our 2nd in December).

Hi everybody,

I am deciding whether to book a cruise departing from new orleans or florida to the caribbean.?

So far, I have only done research on the caribbean cruises. Not sure where does the cruise in new orleans head to? I am planning for a late december cruise. Which would somebody recommend for a first timer?

For a couple of reasons, I would sail from Florida.

In December, from New Orleans it will be too cold to enjoy the outdoors on your first day out and last day back. Sailing from Florida, you should have warm and sunny weather for the full cruise.

I also strongly prefer the eastern Caribbean routes out of Florida. From New Orleans, I think your only option is the western Caribbean.

Whatever your choose, enjoy your first cruise.

I'd choose based on the ship and the itinerary first (which ports and how many sea vs. port days). But if all things were equal, I'd probably pick New Orleans. There's no city in Florida that is nearly as interesting as NOLA. So if you are planning pre or post cruise stays, I'd vote NOLA.

The poster above did have a good point about Florida having better weather in the winter months. If that's more important than pre/post cruise stays, then Florida should be your choice. Also, the airport is generally closer to port in Florida departure ports.

If you are flying, I've found both to be similarly priced destinations for us, but there are more flight options to most Florida ports.

You'll be flying in either event from Ohio. We live 3 hrs. from NOLA and 10 from Port Canaveral, so we drive. I enjoy the nights before a cruise in Port Canaveral since Cocoa Beach is a cute little beach community with some colorful bar flies at the local restaurants. NOLA night life is mostly sleazy, and I've walked my last mile down Bourbon Street. If you're flying in the same day, none of that matters.

Your choices are more limited out of NOLA. Port Canaveral is the second busiest cruise port in the world (I've heard), so your choices are broad and varied.

If you want eastern Caribbean, Florida is your only choice. We're doing a 7 day Western Caribbean out of NOLA for new year's. It's a cruise we've done before, but it has 3 sea days, and that is what we like.

You really can't make a bad choice; you're cruising!

Cheers.

Dr. J.

Archived