Do you gain weight on a cruise?

texasnana

I have to watch what i eat. I eat of low fat or sugar free. I walk and walk and do more activities then at home. I do eat and a few cruises actually lost weight.

So do you gain or lose weight?

I used to be able to eat anything i wanted

now if the cruise is over 9 days have to be very careful

but have been able to lose 7kg over my world cruise by careful excersise and eating

I always gain weight and I always expect to gain weight. I am very active at home. I work out on a regular basis. But when I am on a cruise I am there to have fun and that includes eating. With all that food there is no way I am not going to put on a few pounds and that is OK. Eating for me is all a part of the fun of being on vacation.

I always put up weight on any holiday, cruising is no exception. I enjoy food and will eat what I like while I'm on holidays and then work hard to get back down to my origunal weight and maintain it..untill next time that is ;)

Here's my theory:

It's the elevators that make you fat.

Our last couple of cruises, we at whatever we wanted, but we only took two elevator rides the whole time. Loading in at embarkation, and loading out at disembarkation. Other than that, we climbed stairs like it was our job. Our result: it was a push. No weight gained. None lost.

As a bonus, there was no waiting around the crowded elevator lobbies at dinner time or other high traffic times.

Here's my theory:

It's the elevators that make you fat.

Our last couple of cruises, we at whatever we wanted, but we only took two elevator rides the whole time. Loading in at embarkation, and loading out at disembarkation. Other than that, we climbed stairs like it was our job. Our result: it was a push. No weight gained. None lost.

As a bonus, there was no waiting around the crowded elevator lobbies at dinner time or other high traffic times.

Some of our thought also, but for those young and active that take a elevator for 1 or two floors, NOT. No matter what, I will gain a pound or two, even being active, walking, tours, working out etc. usually it is gone in a week or two. Food is not that important to us, but we do like to sample different items and sometimes sampling causes over eating. WOW, if you have not been able to try the Shepard's Pie, at least on the Monarch, first day WJM, it caused seconds LOL, even for my skinny lady.

I lose or stay the same... I actually contribute it to not sitting at my desk all day and actually eating 3 err 5 square meals a day ;). Today at work I had my morning coffee, 1/2 a bagel... Just plain untoasted from my lunch bag and 2 or 3 chocolates that were sitting in the box... Actually eating meals boosts up the metabolism in addition to actually moving around rather than sit in a desk chair all day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like some other cruisers, we take the stairs and never take the elevator except on debarkation as we do self assist. I'm sure I gain weight but I'm one not to get on the scale, which I'm sure is dumb. As long as my clothes are comfortable I'm happy. We walk a lot during the cruise which I'm sur helps and we LOVE to dance the night away, so I feel like we are doing the best we can while cruising!!! But......we do enjoy each meal thoroughly!!!!!!:)

The back story for me is that I have always eaten a LOT my whole life. Last year at age 32 I had gone from my average of 140 lbs. to about 175lbs. over a five year period. I decided that my lifestyle change had allowed me to be less active which caused the gain. I spent the next 6 weeks (last May) losing those 35 lbs. buy cutting my average daily calories from about 5,000 to only 1,500 and exercising almost daily.

After I got back to my goal of 140, I have stayed there ever since. However, when going on vacation or just having a "cheat" meal, I let myself eat into my comfort zone, which is different than what it used to be. Because I'm continuously eating 2,000 calories a day to maintain weight, I feel so hungry compared to my old comfort zone of 5,000 a day. What happens now is a "cheat" meal as I call them (a meal where I don't worry about calories consumed and just eat until I'm satisfied or full) will end up being 4-5,000 calories itself, or in the sake of a vacation, about 7-8,000 calories a day.

Long story not so short is that a typical one week vacation causes me to gain about 20 lbs. I have no problem with this, and have accepted it as my routine for enjoying a trip. While it's probably not the healthiest thing to gain over 13% of your body weight in a week and then lose it over a three week period, I don't do it very often. I actually enjoy it. I feel so satisfied after finishing a large, delicious meal. Not to mention, eating so much in one sitting really allows me to sample many different dishes a restaurant has to offer. Therefore, if it's a one time visit (or rare in any case) and I know I won't make it back again soon, I won't feel as though I missed out on anything.

I have learned from friends and family over the last year that it is apparently shocking to see someone of my size consume what I do in one sitting. In the end though, it makes me happy, and I work hard at home with the diet and exercise to allow myself that privilege when it comes around.

In very short summary: Yes, I usually gain 20 pounds :o.

Edited to add: For someone like me, a walk up the stairs, even multiple times a day is almost negligible for someone like me. I try to at times, but there are times where I just don't feel up to it. Hey, who can't say the same?

I love to eat, but am very restrained when at home. I am also a gym rat, so my weight is well under control. However, I eat all and whatever I want on any vacation. So,yes, I gain a few pounds on cruises. But I learned years ago that weight put on in a short period of time will come off in a short period of time as well!

I'll stay the same or maybe put on a pound or two in a week by not eating bread and taking the elevators. I find that the availability of so much healthy food already prepared for me, especially salads, helps to keep the creme brulee indulgences (and the cosmos, margaritas, etc.) from having too much impact.

One good thing about the decline in food quality in general and desserts in particular has caused me not to eat as much. Having done several cruises on Royal Caribbean, I'm familiar enough with the menus that on those days that nothing on the MDR menu suits, I go to the WJ and make a salad. Another contribution is I always get a cabin on Deck 6 or 7 so I use the stairs for everything but going to the very top decks. That helps, too. End result is I don't gain and have even lost a couple of pounds.

Tucker in Texas

Archived