Worse Thing about Cruising

shellfish5

The worse:

free style dining on ncl (waiting way to long to eat in the main dining on nlc), room service on NCL, NCL in general.

all the sale pitches

muster drill (we typically skip it, and unpack during this time. Since I'm a responsible parent now, no more skipping)

bingo (we bring the portable dvd player and headphones)

This is SO funny - I am completely the opposite of you. I never had to wait for freestyle dining on NCL and always got the kind of table I preferred, didn't run into ANY sales pitches on NCL, and had decent experiences with room service.

On Carnival, I felt that there was a constant sales pitch flying at me from EVERY direction. Want a massage? Forget relaxing, because as soon as it concludes, the therapist will hold you captive and try and sell you a bunch of crap instead of leaving so you can get dressed. I preferred NCL completely over Carnival.

I don't say this to negate your opinion or try and convince you that you are wrong - I just found it funny that we have the exact same opinion, on the exact opposite cruise lines! :)

The near-shot glasses they give you to drink from in the buffet. I'll be bringing my large Tervis tumbler next time. When I hike up several floors of stairs, I'd like a bigger glass.

That's all I got. Just got off the Star Sunday and had no other complaints at all.

• 2 years later...

Yes, having to leave is always the worst thing :(

I can tolerate the toilet paper since I know it is for a reason. I'd far rather use the stuff provided than have problems due to someone thinking the rules don't apply to them.

I am also lucky in that I live about an hour from Southampton - more so because I cannot fly (for medical reasons)- so none of the problems that go with flying home!

The worse thing for me these days is seasickness. Possibly due to medication, I seem to be getting more and more prone to sickness as time goes by :( I'm heading to Copenhagen and Hamburg in a few days, will be trying the patch behind the ear for the first time (as well as wrist bands, ginger etc)

Being on a traditional dining set up on a big table in the MDR looking across and seeing a right load of loud mouth numptys on a nearby table; over there, and thinking I am glad I am not over there with those idiots on that table. Then looking again and thinking "Ohh no, it's a mirror".

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The worse thing for me these days is seasickness. Possibly due to medication, I seem to be getting more and more prone to sickness as time goes by :( I'm heading to Copenhagen and Hamburg in a few days, will be trying the patch behind the ear for the first time (as well as wrist bands, ginger etc)

Understand the seasickness thing, fortunately it's not something I suffer from under normal circumstances. I am just questioning the use of something new along with other systems......how will you know if any of them aren't cancelling out something else?

We did a cruise just before Christmas, Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, we noticed a lot of Americans with a small patch behind their ears, asked a couple about them and they swear by them, best cure they've ever used.

@John Watson: noticed your ships list, been cruising for a few years haven't you? France, Oronsay, QE...some old ships there. Went on Oronsay as a child, watched the QE burn in HK harbour in 72.

@John Watson: noticed your ships list, been cruising for a few years haven't you? France, Oronsay, QE...some old ships there. Went on Oronsay as a child, watched the QE burn in HK harbour in 72.

Yes Oscarsgrandad; I started in 1964 too with France and Queen Elizabeth transatlantic to visit New York World Fair. I was seven. Actually met a French Canadian on current Queen Elizabeth two years ago who was a student working on France as a waiter about same time I travelled. The old Queen has now been concreted into the new container terminal at Hong Kong and the new cruise terminal is now at the old airport Kai Tak.

Kind Regards John

1) Getting back home and having to cook my own dinner again (and knowing it just won't be half as good as the ship dinner's were)

2) Getting to Florida port from Alaska....those flight times are brutal!

3) No chocolates on my pillow when I get home...sigh.

But certainly not enough to keep me from going back. Just got home from 15 day Panama Canal cruise, going on Western Caribbean in Feb. and yesterday booked a 2 week relocation cruise for Oct!!

The worst part of cruising is when there are mechanical malfunctions on the ship that take time to repair.

I don't want to be in the Caribbean without A/C and certainly don't want to be anywhere without a working toilet. :eek:

Oh yah..... I forgot to add one of the worst things about cruising is when there is Noro like virus outbreak. It changes the tenor and enjoyment of the cruise to a very large degree, IMO so many things are closed, not available and the crew are exhausted from all the cleaning and scrubbing. So, please..... wash your hands often when on a ship and certainly when using that toilet I referenced above. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Since I've never been on a cruise, I'd have to say the wait to embark. 150 days seems like forever.

I laugh at your 150 days! But not in a derogatory way. I've booked 3 cruises more than 500 days out! Find and join your roll call for your cruise, it will help pass the time and you can learn from people on your cruise about that cruise.

I was going to post a link, but you found it already. It will pick up!

Edited by BillOh

I laugh at your 150 days! But not in a derogatory way. I've booked 3 cruises more than 500 days out! Find and join your roll call for your cruise, it will help pass the time and you can learn from people on your cruise about that cruise.

I was going to post a link, but you found it already. It will pick up!

Ha! My husband told me last night that we've waited 40+ years. What's another 150 days! :) We're taking the kids to Disney as a surprise for Christmas 2106, so I have that to occupy my time and make the 150 go quickly. :)

I hope our roll call picks up. It would be fun to be familiar with a few other people on the ship!

Ha! My husband told me last night that we've waited 40+ years. What's another 150 days! :) We're taking the kids to Disney as a surprise for Christmas 2106, so I have that to occupy my time and make the 150 go quickly. :)

I hope our roll call picks up. It would be fun to be familiar with a few other people on the ship!

I'm bored at work and will admit to having fun at your expense, but those kids will have a long wait for 2106! :D We waited 25 years for our first cruise. Glory looks like a nice ship, I hope you enjoy. I was docked next to her in Nassau back in 06 I think it was.

If your home is in a cold weather place there is comfort in knowing your winter will be over by then.

Edited by BillOh

I'm bored at work and will admit to having fun at your expense, but those kids will have a long wait for 2106! :D We waited 25 years for our first cruise. Glory looks like a nice ship, I hope you enjoy. I was docked next to her in Nassau back in 06 I think it was.

If your home is in a cold weather place there is comfort in knowing your winter will be over by then.

Thanks! I'm happy I could make your day a little less boring. :) I crack myself up too. I'm all annoyed that swim suits aren't on sale. I've got a packing list written already. We're updating our will. I mean, this is serious stuff! :D

I have a friend that sails on the Pride quite a bit and it seems they are sort of similar. I've gotten a lot of information from her.

Our weather has been incredibly mild here. I think sitting in 3 feet of snow would definitely make the anticipation even greater.

Edited by lorgir

2. Pirates :)

Believe it or not, most lines include mandatory crew training in how to deal with pirates and the like. Rare? Yes. But it can happen. Remember the Leon Klinghoffer incident on the Achille Lauro in October 1985 (Palestinian terrorists boarded the ship in Egypt and killed Klingoffer who, with his wife (both from New York), was celebrating their wedding anniversary with a Mediterranean cruise.)

Here's a link to a discussion on the subject of piracy that appeared on Cruise Critic in 2008: http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=2963

The worst thing about cruising is having a whole area of the ship's toilets being put out of action because someone has brought their own toilet paper which blocks the pipes

Right. I think the ship uses special paper that disintegrates faster and finer than our usual home paper. And please do not flush tissue (Kleenex) or pads down the ship's toilets.

Worst part for me...Disembarking. Not because we are leaving the ship -- we are usually ready to get home. But it always seems to be a confusing mess. Well, I guess there is no real good way to get over 3000 passengers off of a ship in 3 hours without some sort of confusing mess. Next worst part...Waiting for an elevator after the muster drill, as well as trying to get one during disembarkation. My wife uses a motorized scooter, so the stairs is not an option for her. It is always a mad house at the elevators after the muster drill, and during disembarkation the elevators are full of people with luggage.