Taxis vs. Hal transport at FLL

Pam in KY

Due to work circumstances, six of our party have to arrive at FLL the day of the cruise...yes, we realize this is not the best but can't be avoided. Departure time is 4:00. How far ahead of time do they have to board (an extra question thrown in here)? We used Hal last year and because of backed up traffic the driver went the long way around - took over an hour! However, my husband is worried that with the crowds at the airport on Saturday there won't be an abundance of taxis. We have heard that there is road construction on the roads leading to the port. What means of transportation would you recommend as the fastest and most efficient? Thanks.

I believe that you must be aboard 90 minutes prior to sailing. The life boat drill is usually around 4pm and must be attended by all passengers.

Saturday is a busy day due to the larger 6000 pax ships of RCCL - Oasis and Allure of the Seas. Don't know which one is in on Saturday.

The airport is a 15 minute ride away from the port. Can't imagine it taking an hour to get there.

I believe that you must be aboard 90 minutes prior to sailing. The life boat drill is usually around 4pm and must be attended by all passengers.
That "90 minutes" on board time is a common misconception. If all your information is complete and correct in your on-line check-in records by the time it is passed to CBP at 60 minutes' date=' the "real" deadline is making the muster drill - which would be about 3:15 for a 4:00 sailing. (See below)

Ordinarily I'd say that a taxi is the quickest and most convenient way to go, but if you had a HAL transfer maybe they would hold the ship for folks cutting it close, even if they missed the last bus and HAL put them in a taxi. I'm sure I've heard radio traffic on the portevergladeswebcam site to the effect that they were waiting for people "on their way".

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

we just got back off cruise in FFL and while there is construction, it is not really hampering ingress/egress ... the port is so close to the airport that unless you are arriving at 4pm or later, you really should not have a problem.

Also, I saw someone getting onboard while we were at the muster ... not sure what that means relative to 'missing the boat', but thought I would throw it in.

harry

Usually Taxi's would be the fast way to get to the pier but if you think you will be cutting it close then book a transfer with Hal. They will hold the ship to get you on board, not so with doing a taxi. I did read jtl's post but still think you should really try to be there 90 minutes before departure, just for some breathing room.

I did read jtl's post but still think you should really try to be there 90 minutes before departure, just for some breathing room.
I'm not suggesting cutting it close, but I don't want people giving up and just heading for a hotel or something should it become apparent that they can't get there before the 90 minute point. :)

There are tons of taxis at FLL:) I would think that it would take time to load HAL"s bus with baggage and people and the taxi would be faster.

If HAL's transfer gives you piece of mind, take it:D

Something you should ask -- either directly to Seattle or have your TA check on ---- Will the HAL shuttle bus wait for you all?? One time I heard that there was a cut off time when the bus had to leave the airport to get to the cruise terminal. Things keep changing each year.

Great point!

Another thought - book the HAL transfer and if they have already left, just grab a taxi and hope for the best.

DaveOKC

Once, we had all kinds of airport issues in Boston. We had booked the cruise line transfer and there were four of us on the bus. It was the last sailing of the season to Bermuda (repo to San Juan) and all the check in booths were put away except one. As we went aboard, they were finishing the muster thing. We had a note in our cabin later that evening that indicated we would need to have a private emergency instruction the next day. The other couple did not show, but we did. It was a great cruise, but that late boarding stuff was too much for me, I had to have a drink right away!

Jim

Archived