Restaurant in Miami...

Anthomaniac

Its okay... Most of the food is deep fried. Its a very casual place with laminated menus, etc. If you go, have the Pan Con Minuta, its a breaded and deep fried fish sandwich, its a traditional Cuban sandwich.

I wouldn't go out of my way for this place, but if you're nearby, I give it two thumbs up (after licking the grease off of them).

Its okay... Most of the food is deep fried. Its a very casual place with laminated menus, etc. If you go, have the Pan Con Minuta, its a breaded and deep fried fish sandwich, its a traditional Cuban sandwich.

I wouldn't go out of my way for this place, but if you're nearby, I give it two thumbs up (after licking the grease off of them).

We will be in Miami (staying at the Intercontinental) for a day (nov 25th) before our cruise on the 26th. We love local places, hole-in-the-walls, local treasures, whatever you want to call them... any suggestions?

-- It's the same attitude that keeps me out of places like Margaritaville - I don't travel to go to a massive chain

Highly recommend going to South Beach and 11 st. Diner. Excellent lunch there last week. 6 of us total and not 1 minor complaint.

Best Monte Cristo I've ever had, didn't need the syrup with it that you get at most places. Made with real turkey.

Brother had the turkey with mashed potatoes.

Was featured on Diners,Drive-in, and Dives a few years ago.

We will be in Miami (staying at the Intercontinental) for a day (nov 25th) before our cruise on the 26th. We love local places, hole-in-the-walls, local treasures, whatever you want to call them... any suggestions?

-- It's the same attitude that keeps me out of places like Margaritaville - I don't travel to go to a massive chain

We liked our dinner at Versailles, not to mention the pastries to go from the attached bakery, probably Miami's best authentic Cuban food. Look up Enriqueta's Sandwich shop for a great Cuban sandwich, along with their other offerings. Both not real far from downtown if you have a rental car. Or taxi?

Definitely not a hole in the wall...far from it...but my all time favorite restaurant... not just in Miami but any place... is Joe's Stone Crab!!! :D

We like Joe's a lot but the taxi to and from the Intercontinental adds about $50 to an already expensive dinner. Last trip we found Truluck's a very nice restaurant. And only a couple of blocks from the IC and we still got our stone crabs.

What are you looking for? What area? Walking, rental car, etc....

There are 1000s of places to eat here.

We will be in Miami (staying at the Intercontinental) for a day (nov 25th) before our cruise on the 26th. We will not have a car, so either walking or reasonable taxi ride.

We love local places, hole-in-the-walls, local treasures, whatever you want to call them... any suggestions?

We love local places, hole-in-the-walls, local treasures, whatever you want to call them... any suggestions?

I thought I had answered this in another thread. I guess it didn't post can't find it.

Im not into chains so 95% of the time my recommendations are local business.

Burgers:

Filling Station/Garage Bar

BBQ:

Sparky's Roadside BBQ

Philly Cheese Steak:

Will-Call (caution smoking permitted)

Italian:

Fratelli Milano

English Pub:

Elwoods Gastro Pub

Cuban Counter (outdoors 5 stools scary looking place)

281 NE 1st St (Don't bother with the name, they don't advertise it)

Japanese:

Little Lotus

Peruvian (also really scary looking):

La Licuadora

Let me know if you need more.

I thought I had answered this in another thread. I guess it didn't post can't find it.

Im not into chains so 95% of the time my recommendations are local business.

Let me know if you need more.

First let me say i love your "scary" comments - we have been to a few places like that in SF/Minneapolis/ETC and the food is usually amazing!

Can you steer me toward anything either in walking distance of the Intercontinental Downtown, or within a taxi ride that won't require a bank loan to pay for it?

First let me say i love your "scary" comments - we have been to a few places like that in SF/Minneapolis/ETC and the food is usually amazing!

Can you steer me toward anything either in walking distance of the Intercontinental Downtown, or within a taxi ride that won't require a bank loan to pay for it?

My two faves downtown are Fratelli Milano and Ceviche 105 (Peruvian). Both are both walking distance from the hotel. You can Google these places, as well as the recommendations above, for the addresses and the hotel concierge can assist you with the directions.

I also highly recommend Garcia's, which is a great local seafood spot on the Miami River, with outdoor seating, but you do need a taxi to get there (10 mins). They have their own fishing boats so their fish is caught daily. Great for both lunch and dinner.

You're welcome :D

All those places are pretty affordable you can walk to all of them, those are some of my picks in the downtown core, which is where you are staying.

Also consider a Metromover ride to Brickell Station and stroll around Mary Brickell Village, this is where the locals hang out. One day I'll make a blog so I don't have to keep retyping stuff. But if you need precise directions on the mover, I'll type it out again. :cool:

Any opinions on Oceanaire appreciated...

Oceanaire has seen better days. Its in a great location, it seems largely empty lately.

The concept is like a steak house, where you order all the sides separately from the main dish, except of course instead of steak...its fish.

Yogi's personal opinion: while not as nicely dressed as Oceanaire, I'd walk over to River Oyster House, particularly if you like oysters.

Anthomaniac, the Mary Brickell Village that miamyogi mentioned has a lot of restaurants. If you like to walk it is about a 30 minute walk. If not a taxi or the Metromover as miamiyogi mentioned is nice.

A favorite of ours located there is Perricones. It is an Italian Restaurant. Great food and a great atmosphere.

http://www.perricones.com

Keith

You're welcome :D

All those places are pretty affordable you can walk to all of them, those are some of my picks in the downtown core, which is where you are staying.

Also consider a Metromover ride to Brickell Station and stroll around Mary Brickell Village, this is where the locals hang out. One day I'll make a blog so I don't have to keep retyping stuff. But if you need precise directions on the mover, I'll type it out again. :cool:

The Mod should create a "sticky" for restaurants (even for hotels), similar to the one for Fort Lauderdale restaurants, as the same questions get asked and answered over and over again.

The Mod should create a "sticky" for restaurants (even for hotels), similar to the one for Fort Lauderdale restaurants, as the same questions get asked and answered over and over again.

I'll type one out and see if it will get stuck lol. Im not a mod, just a guy with too much time on my hands if you ask my wife.

I am not big on the Stickys because they get so big that no one reads them.

Plus things change.

I dont mind answering the questions.

Keith

Anthomaniac, the Mary Brickell Village that miamyogi mentioned has a lot of restaurants. If you like to walk it is about a 30 minute walk. If not a taxi or the Metromover as miamiyogi mentioned is nice.

A favorite of ours located there is Perricones. It is an Italian Restaurant. Great food and a great atmosphere.

http://www.perricones.com

Keith

Hi Keith, :)we both love it there...I posted the link in my earlier reply

too:eek:...guess we are in the minority;)

Archived