End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

What were the drink options, both alcoholic & non-alcoholic?

the choices and procedures varied by bar. At some bars you could order anything; at some bars you had to show your card to prove you were elite; in most they offered the standard well liquors, cheap beers and house wine.

The wine glasses were definitely smaller than if you ordered and paid....we asked and the waitress stood there with one paid and one free glass of the same wine in different sized glasses and said that isn't true....she obviously was not a rocket scientist.

The Celebrity website still lists Elite cocktail lounge and Elite breakfast. Was the Elite breakfast also cancelled? I agree that canceling these benefits with no warning is unacceptable!!!! I can only imagine how unhappy those Elite passengers are!!!!

What is the Elite breakfast ????

We left the Century a little over a week ago, and since we had 260 elites on board the Crystal Room easily accommodated the elite social hour. The hubby and I will be on the Equinox transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona next April. On those transatlantics there are frequently a tremendous number of elites, and so I suspect there will be a good chance that we will also be provided with coupons. Very interesting to read the comments on how the program actually worked.

What is the Elite breakfast ????

on the eclipse ta:

The elite breakfast was held in the Tuscan Grill (as usual with large numbers) and no changes...there were always seats, but you had to share your table with others.

The elite "meet the officers" event was changed however. Still held in the Sky Lounge but with a more (very) limited drink menu than the elite cocktail parties....and the only food stations were crepes and fruit rather than the many full lunch stations in the past. They served canapes but they were few and far between. Since it was called for 1-2pm, most of us who thought it would be lunch wound up leaving quickly. Actually, it was pretty poorly attended.

How were the Elite coupons distributed for the drinks? Were they sent to your cabin each day? I am expecting we may have this same situation on the Dec TA fro Silhouette.

Thanks

They are left on your bed the night before. The coupons are dated.

Talked with a friend who had been on the Eclipse TA. He was quite happy with the coupon arrangement. He and his wife ended up in a group of about a dozen people who met at one of the bars each evening. He thought the service and the socializing was as good as it had been in the large get togethers in the Sky Lounge or equivalent on past cruises..

Art

It has been recently posted on the Reflection 18th November TA roll call that a pax has received an email advising the coupons (3) will be in use on that sailing as well. Inevitable really with the smaller lounge and high number of Elites booked.

So how would you deal with the issue and reward the most loyal passengers if your were Celebrity and faced with a huge number of Elites onboard?

Phil

Your sea pass card states your status of Elite on it, no need for paper coupons. Punches could have been done to tally use if necessary or they could just charge you for any drinks beyond the three each during the designated hours for Elites. Two or more venues minus general activity events could have been used to accommodate the number of elite passengers.

There is a definite need to create additional tiers within the Loyalty Program. They should make the changes needed, announce the changes made and notify guests sailing before they board the ship.

No one wants to be treated as an experiment.

They are left on your bed the night before. The coupons are dated.

That is a lot of wasted paper, but I guess they have not come up with a computerized alternative. Still, if the drinks had been unlimited during certain hours in the past, you would think you would just need to show your sea pass card.

Am I the only person who thinks this is being done for cost cutting reasons, or the direction they are going in the future by limiting the number of drinks (or the coupons will be for all Elites as they plan to have an unlimited drink lounge for some new level of Elite Plus, etc.?)

That is a lot of wasted paper, but I guess they have not come up with a computerized alternative. Still, if the drinks had been unlimited during certain hours in the past, you would think you would just need to show your sea pass card.

Am I the only person who thinks this is being done for cost cutting reasons, or the direction they are going in the future by limiting the number of drinks (or the coupons will be for all Elites as they plan to have an unlimited drink lounge for some new level of Elite Plus, etc.?)

I don't really see it that way. I don't think I've ever had more than 2 drinks at the party and you don't see too many people trying to exploit the event for their evening's drinks. I imagine the reason for the coupons (as opposed to using your card) is so that "generous" elites don't start giving drinks away, which I've seen happen with those on the unlimited booze packages.

I think that it's almost inevitable that within 60-90 days, the coupons will be the standard in all the ships....with marketing words like "due to the incredible positive reaction from our customers, we are altering our elite program....".

It is likely that the next level, the "super elites" will be invited to one of the bars that can be closed off and have more options on drinks, perhaps for longer hours.....or they may just get coupons useable at any time during the day, but then that impacts their liquor package sales.

I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

I hope that Celebrity rethinks this new policy. One reason that we sail on celebrity is that we enjoy the daily Elite happy hour. If this is changed, perhaps it will give us an opportunity to consider another cruise line in the future.

I hope that Celebrity rethinks this new policy. One reason that we sail on celebrity is that we enjoy the daily Elite happy hour. If this is changed, perhaps it will give us an opportunity to consider another cruise line in the future.

Sorry – still don’t see how vouchers are so horrible.

Admit it – for most, the real issue of happy hour is not to converse with others but to have free drinks. Vouchers provide just that. On our recent Solstice cruise we actually made “more friends” with passengers all about the ship, including other bars, than we did at the designated Elite Happy Hour in the Sky Bar.

Not sure how much you drink, but we had one drink each night, for 4 of the 5 nights the lounge was open. I really can’t imagine that 8 free drinks over a week, would drive ones cruising decision.

enjoy

M

Admit it – for most, the real issue of happy hour is not to converse with others but to have free drinks. Vouchers provide just that. On our recent Solstice cruise we actually made “more friends” with passengers all about the ship, including other bars, than we did at the designated Elite Happy Hour in the Sky Bar.

Not sure how much you drink, but we had one drink each night, for 4 of the 5 nights the lounge was open. I really can’t imagine that 8 free drinks over a week, would drive ones cruising decision.

It isn't only the drinks. As somebody pointed out it is a nice opportunity to mingle. I will be on a two week cruise, and I find that it is a great opportunity to meet those people who are frequent cruisers. In addition, if Celebrity believes that this isn't a big deal, perhaps next they will will cut "free laundry" then the free internet minutes. This is a negative trend. Perhaps the tip of the iceberg regarding reduced perks and increased costs.

We have never seen any active mingling at these events. People arrive with their friends, sit and drink, then leave with their friends. Especially on the newer Solstice class ship, the Reflection, where the lounge is smaller because of the new suites adjacent, I imagine it would be very unpleasant if, for instance, the 800 Elites who were on our last TA, tried to attend this event.

Except that I don't have the luxury of enough time for most of their offerings....I've looked. For us, 7 days is stretching how long we can be away. Would love to try either Oceania or Azamara but they have precious few 7 day warm itineraries....RSSC Silversea and seaborn look too stuffy to me... But again , just my opinion.

It isn't only the drinks. As somebody pointed out it is a nice opportunity to mingle. I will be on a two week cruise, and I find that it is a great opportunity to meet those people who are frequent cruisers. In addition, if Celebrity believes that this isn't a big deal, perhaps next they will will cut "free laundry" then the free internet minutes. This is a negative trend. Perhaps the tip of the iceberg regarding reduced perks and increased costs.

I hate to say it-but when I could not PAY to get my laundry done as I was not yet "Select" on our recent 12 day Solstice Med cruise-(we received notice that the laundry service would not be available until day 10 of our cruise) perhaps they need to do away with "Free laundry". It could easily be replaced with reduced prices-instead of charging $20 for a "stuff your bag" and the second free-make it you get one stuff the bag for $10-anymore you pay $20. It is still a deal and then other PAX who are merely "classic" will be able to have shirts cleaned and pressed.

Now I admit I only have 6 points now and am still only Select status-so perhaps I will feel differently when I make Elite-but STILL It stinks (pun intended) when you can't get laundry done on a 12 day cruise until day 10.

[quote name=Cruise a holic;36053643

It isn't only the drinks. As somebody pointed out it is a nice opportunity to mingle. I will be on a two week cruise' date=' and I find that it is a great opportunity to meet those people who are frequent cruisers. In addition, if Celebrity believes that this isn't a big deal, perhaps next they will will cut "free laundry" then the free internet minutes. This is a negative trend. Perhaps the tip of the iceberg regarding reduced perks and increased costs.[/quote]

I guess we are different in that we find mingling with folks around different areas of the ship to be interesting. Not sure why the mingling has to be in a dedicated lounge.

Also, what defines “frequent” cruiser. It only takes 5 cruises in a dedicated cabin or suite to become Elite. 5 cruises (in a suite) is frequent but 9 in a regular cabin is not? I consider myself a frequent cruiser as I have over 60 cruises, but if all my cruises were with Cunard and I am sailing Celebrity for the first time, we would likely not meet because I am not at the Elite happy hour but sitting at another bar.

Celebrity is not taking anything away but just looking for new options to serve passengers more efficiently. Many would rather have access to another venues around the ship than be packed in a room with so many people there is no place to sit and too crowded to get a drink. Maybe the real reason folks are upset is that the drinking is capped by the number of vouchers.

M

We have never seen any active mingling at these events. People arrive with their friends, sit and drink, then leave with their friends. Especially on the newer Solstice class ship, the Reflection, where the lounge is smaller because of the new suites adjacent, I imagine it would be very unpleasant if, for instance, the 800 Elites who were on our last TA, tried to attend this event.

The venue changes based upon the amount of people who attend the Elite events. I think a good marketing tool is to offer perks to people who frequently sail on Celebrity to continue to do so. Many other cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean are mid-priced and also could be considered an option for those interested in a decent mid-ranged product.

I think it is good business to "reward" your loyal customers.

I guess we are different in that we find mingling with folks around different areas of the ship to be interesting. Not sure why the mingling has to be in a dedicated lounge.

Also, what defines “frequent” cruiser. It only takes 5 cruises in a dedicated cabin or suite to become Elite. 5 cruises (in a suite) is frequent but 9 in a regular cabin is not? I consider myself a frequent cruiser as I have over 60 cruises, but if all my cruises were with Cunard and I am sailing Celebrity for the first time, we would likely not meet because I am not at the Elite happy hour but sitting at another bar.

Celebrity is not taking anything away but just looking for new options to serve passengers more efficiently. Many would rather have access to another venues around the ship than be packed in a room with so many people there is no place to sit and too crowded to get a drink. Maybe the real reason folks are upset is that the drinking is capped by the number of vouchers.

M

True I am "select" after 3 cruises-but 2 were 12 day and one was in a suite.

Archived