End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

I am misquoted in the “quote” on Momofmeg’s recent post

This is not my quote but rather a post by cruise a holoc.

It isn't only the drinks. As somebody pointed out it is a nice opportunity to mingle. I will be on a two week cruise, and I find that it is a great opportunity to meet those people who are frequent cruisers. In addition, if Celebrity believes that this isn't a big deal, perhaps next they will will cut "free laundry" then the free internet minutes. This is a negative trend. Perhaps the tip of the iceberg regarding reduced perks and increased costs.

Some of my posts indicate my completely opposite viewpoint.

Thanks, M

You know so many of the elite here at CC have 200 days or more with Celebrity. Something tells me you would go to the top rung of the ladder. It would be the newer elites-under 50 cruise days with Celebrity that would be effected I believe.

Yes, I will disappointed to not receive some of the present elite perks when I become elite-but still as long as Celebrity gives me some type of perk I will still see it as worth it to work toward becoming elite.

I do remember one of my CC "friends" made diamond on RCI-one cruise she could have used that special lounge but since they had family in a separate cabin not eligible they did not use it. After that it was changed to diamond plus -she was disappointed-as she had worked to achieve that status to have it taken from her.

Hopefully Celebrity will not make that mistake-it seemed to me many deflected form RCI to other lines after that. Hopefully Celebrity will do something to show they appreciate loyalty from their customers.

I am misquoted in the “quote” on Momofmeg’s recent post

This is not my quote but rather a post by cruise a holoc.

It isn't only the drinks. As somebody pointed out it is a nice opportunity to mingle. I will be on a two week cruise, and I find that it is a great opportunity to meet those people who are frequent cruisers. In addition, if Celebrity believes that this isn't a big deal, perhaps next they will will cut "free laundry" then the free internet minutes. This is a negative trend. Perhaps the tip of the iceberg regarding reduced perks and increased costs.

Some of my posts indicate my completely opposite viewpoint.

Thanks, M

Sorry I goofed-but I guess you quoted someone else? and for some reason it did not show-I did not change anything that I know of-just hit "quote" and adding my bit to the post that it does not take much to go up-longer cruises having CC or a suite-etc.

Quite Frankly it isn't about the drinks- as the drinks served in the Elite lounge are limited. You cannot get many speciality drinks. In addition, my husband and I take a package for drinks so it isn't about the actual drink.

I veiw this as a cost cutting measure by Celebrity. Let's see if we have any other "changes" next year- perhaps no free internet, etc.

Sorry I goofed-but I guess you quoted someone else? and for some reason it did not show-I did not change anything that I know of-just hit "quote" and adding my bit to the post that it does not take much to go up-longer cruises having CC or a suite-etc.

Oh - I know it was not your fualt as sometimes the quotes get messed up.

M

I veiw this as a cost cutting measure by Celebrity. Let's see if we have any other "changes" next year- perhaps no free internet, etc.

Why? It was one cruise with 800+ Elite members. The venue was too small so they improvised. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about this occurring again on some TAs as the fleet returns States side.

Sorry, I just can't follow the logic that because there were too many Elites to hold the Happy Hour in one venue on one ship, next year free Internet will be cut. I guess my glass is half full.

I just called Captain's Club to ask if elite vouchers will be used on our upcoming 14-nt. Eclipse cruise. The rep's response was "Oh, you must have been reading Cruise Critic! Yes, we used that system on a TA when there were too many elites to accommodate at a cocktail party, and we've had so many positive responses. Passengers are already calling to ask us to continue that system."

I replied that I for one much prefer the cocktail party, and again asked specifically about my particular cruise. Her response was, "Well, we won't know how many elites will be aboard until the date of sailing." Really??? "So I can't tell you how whether they will have vouchers or a cocktail party...but don't worry, you'll get your free drinks!"

I explained that my final payment date is coming up in 2 weeks...and if there won't be an elite cocktail party, I'd like to know now so I can still cancel. To which she replied, "Well, they'll make that decision on board. Now can I help you book another cruise?" Oh sure, you won't tell me what's happening on my next cruise, but I'd just love to book another one! Come on...X expects me to pay with REAL money, now I'd like some REAL answers!

I have just reached Elite and have cruised 67 days with Celebrity.

The main reason I wanted to become Elite was so that I got priority tendering.

We took 3 + hrs to get off Eclipse in Split in Oct 2010.

We also had to get a tender boat from century in Maui, as we had a private tour booked, so I really panicked. Fortunately there were 60+ C.C's on the tour, so the Cruise Director spoke to one of the crew after the C.C party and arranged that we could go on the 1st tender.

I never want to be in that situation again.

I have heard that it was mentioned on the Reflection Inagural talk 'Building Bridges' that extra tiers will be added next year.

Does anyone know the date, as we have a Caribbean cruise booked on 23rd March, when I was hoping to reap the benefits of becoming 'Elite.'

Quite Frankly it isn't about the drinks- as the drinks served in the Elite lounge are limited. You cannot get many speciality drinks. In addition, my husband and I take a package for drinks so it isn't about the actual drink.

We have no problems with the coupons for TA's and are very happy that they are reinstating the Luggage Tags:D Yippee - no staplers, packing tape and hole punches necessary!!

From Live from the Eclipse 10/27 TA http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1729411

As far as Celebrity policy...

Elite coupons: celebrity has now taken a clear position on the coupons and when they will be used. It seems that effectively, coupons will only be used on transatlantics as those are the cruises with so many elites.

Luggage Tags: this cruise was an experiment where Celebrity didn't send out luggage tags...we had to print your own. Yesterday, we received an email saying that based on input from our cruise, they are returning to sending out luggage tags. __________________

Don't you love the marketing spin. There was one marketing bulletin that said that elite customers were enjoying discovering new venues for drinks. I haven't heard anyone even hint at that "plus" since it's not a plus...we all know where the bars are on the ship.

I give it 60-90 days before the coupons are announced as a fleet wide new "improvement" to the captain's club.

Just FYI, the upcoming 14-nt. Eclipse cruise I asked Captain's Club about is NOT a TA. It's a Southern Caribbean itinerary. So obviously they aren't considering using the vouchers only on TA's.
There is nothing obvious about it.How many times does Celebrity need to explain that it is for too crowded facilities on TA? Would you really cancel a cruise you have booked because of drink vouchers?:confused:

There is nothing obvious about it.How many times does Celebrity need to explain that it is for too crowded facilities on TA? Would you really cancel a cruise you have booked because of drink vouchers?:confused:

I think it's for any cruise where there are too many Elites to handle in one venue. It may or may not be a TA although those are the ones most likely to have an overabundance of Elites.

I just called Captain's Club to ask if elite vouchers will be used on our upcoming 14-nt. Eclipse cruise. The rep's response was "Oh, you must have been reading Cruise Critic! Yes, we used that system on a TA when there were too many elites to accommodate at a cocktail party, and we've had so many positive responses. Passengers are already calling to ask us to continue that system."

I replied that I for one much prefer the cocktail party, and again asked specifically about my particular cruise. Her response was, "Well, we won't know how many elites will be aboard until the date of sailing." Really??? "So I can't tell you how whether they will have vouchers or a cocktail party...but don't worry, you'll get your free drinks!"

I explained that my final payment date is coming up in 2 weeks...and if there won't be an elite cocktail party, I'd like to know now so I can still cancel. To which she replied, "Well, they'll make that decision on board. Now can I help you book another cruise?" Oh sure, you won't tell me what's happening on my next cruise, but I'd just love to book another one! Come on...X expects me to pay with REAL money, now I'd like some REAL answers!

Even though you will get free drinks nightly, you would actually cancel a 14 night cruise because the drinks will be provided via voucher to use (most) anywhere on the ship, rather than provided in an overcrowded happy hour?

If your cruise is not even in final payment time frame, how can they possibly know who many Elite passengers will eventually be on board.

I must be missing something

????

M

Even though you will get free drinks nightly, you would actually cancel a 14 night cruise because the drinks will be provided via voucher to use (most) anywhere on the ship, rather than provided in an overcrowded happy hour?

If your cruise is not even in final payment time frame, how can they possibly know who many Elite passengers will eventually be on board.

I must be missing something

????

M

So am I.

Yes, I would cancel a cruise because there wasn't an elite cocktail party. Like many others, I know what I enjoy. For some the CD is important, for others it's desserts in Blu, someone else may care about the showerhead in their bathroom. We're all here to exchange information so we can each enjoy the cruise best suited for us.

So there are too many Elites. We agree on that. So instead of crowding too many people into a room that is too small they come up with an alternative.

You still get free drinks - yes?

Perhaps it is because you 'only' get 3 drinks a night instead of drinking as much as possible within a 2 hr period:rolleyes: that there is such an outcry?

The choices are simple:

A- go to an over crowded room where you can not find a seat

or

B- go to a bar of your choice, at your leisure to drink 3 drinks with whomever you want (and even shock/horror) speak with non Elite members.

I know which one I prefer.

It wouldn't surprise me that there will be 'too may Elites' on the upcoming Reflection TransAtlantic and that the voucher system will be in force then.

They are doing the best they can given the size constraints of the ship and the expectations of Elite guests IMHO.

This does not mean the end of the civilized world as we know it.

Yes, I would cancel a cruise because there wasn't an elite cocktail party. Like many others, I know what I enjoy. For some the CD is important, for others it's desserts in Blu, someone else may care about the showerhead in their bathroom. We're all here to exchange information so we can each enjoy the cruise best suited for us.

Don't you get tired of being told by others what you should enjoy or not? I get especially sick of being told by non-Elites (my guess), how its all about the drinks, not the party, when they've never been to one.

Isn't it wonderful there are so many cruise lines to choose from?

Celebrity remains my cruise line of choice, and frankly the perks of their Captains Club really don't factor into my decision making process at all.

If you read through these posts, the outcry is really not about the change itself....it's about the way Celebrity made the change. No notification in advance; two vouchers the first night; scheduling trivial pursuit in the sky lounge so you couldn't enjoy a quiet drink there during the 5-7 period.

I suspect that this change could have been made without much of a bump at all, had they thought things through. Remember, this is the same cruise where they decided to refuse to send luggage tags...and the only way you knew that was because there was no way to order them...so we called and were informed that we were on our own..print them ourselves.

The coupons do work ok, once you get used to them, the different bars, etc. There are really only three useful inside bars on the solstice class ships...michael's club, the ensemble lounge and the sky lounge. The others are for casual drinks in more public spaces. I don't know about you but I don't enjoy sitting with drinks in front of guest relations on 3. Of course celebrity would tell you there are 9 bars so the flexibility is wonderful...but if it's cold and damp...there are 3.

Celebrity really needs at least one high level person in HQ who focuses on passengers....and focuses on passengere Communications. Today, it seems like accountants and folks who have never been on ships make decisions and then tell the ships to implement them. That's the wrong way to run a consumer oriented business....at least from my point of view.

They keep making stumbling starts at participating here, but they can't even get that right....heck, hire two kids out of college and tell them to be active participants on social sites....that's not rocket science.

We have two cruises out of singapore in January. You can't imagine how difficult it's been to find out if celebrity will or won't provide visas for our shore excursions. You'd think it would be easy....but everyone has gotten different answers from Celebrity from yes, no to call our visa agent. It's a lack of communications....fundamentally a lack of respect for their passengers.

Some day they'll get it right...or at least better. Until then, we will have long threads like this due to changes that are made on the fly or ill thought out.

It would make more sense if the coupons were not restricted to a time period. That way people wouldn't feel rushed to all go to the bars at once. It could be that the other bars will be really crowded because people feeling like they *need* to use the vouchers really quickly. At the party, I never felt compelled to drink more than one (maybe two) drinks. Now I'm going to feel like if I don't drink all three I'm wasting something :)

Tom

So there are too many Elites. We agree on that. So instead of crowding too many people into a room that is too small they come up with an alternative.

You still get free drinks - yes?

Perhaps it is because you 'only' get 3 drinks a night instead of drinking as much as possible within a 2 hr period:rolleyes: that there is such an outcry?

The choices are simple:

A- go to an over crowded room where you can not find a seat

or

B- go to a bar of your choice, at your leisure to drink 3 drinks with whomever you want (and even shock/horror) speak with non Elite members.

I know which one I prefer.

It wouldn't surprise me that there will be 'too may Elites' on the upcoming Reflection TransAtlantic and that the voucher system will be in force then.

They are doing the best they can given the size constraints of the ship and the expectations of Elite guests IMHO.

This does not mean the end of the civilized world as we know it.

I am asking a simple question and simple answers will suffice!

I couldn't possibly drink 3 drinks. With the voucher system' date=' do you think I would be able to offer a friend a voucher?[/quote']

We found that if we arrived just before 6pm, those going to the early dinner were offering their unused vouchers to anyone who wanted them. We offered any vouchers we weren't going to use to those we were sitting with, in case they wanted to take some wine to dinner, etc.

We only found one bar tender who checked to see if we were elite...everyone else just accepted the voucher with no id.

Wait... so being able to take wine to dinner with you is a super plus to this new system. Before we couldn't take it out of the room, but I guess they wouldn't have a way to police that when the Elites are out in the wild.

I'm not sure why they'd care who uses the coupons (I.E., if I drink 3 drinks or 2 and someone else drinks 1). I bet, though, that they get better at checking the cruise cards. Still, being able to get a drink and take it with you is a definitely plus for the new system.

Tom

We found that if we arrived just before 6pm, those going to the early dinner were offering their unused vouchers to anyone who wanted them. We offered any vouchers we weren't going to use to those we were sitting with, in case they wanted to take some wine to dinner, etc.

We only found one bar tender who checked to see if we were elite...everyone else just accepted the voucher with no id.

If they really implement this, I doubt they would continue to allow it. It's a win, win for them. With the separate room, we could tell our friends (or not!) where we are going. Once we are there, no problem. HOWEVER, in an open situation, a friend could join us and then I think it would be awkward to use the coupon in front of someone who doesn't have one.

Archived