End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

It all depends on how many Elites will be on board. On a normal cruise, we understand that the 5-7pm cocktails will be in the Sky Lounge. No coupons would be involved since everyone will be together. If there are too many Elites on board to fit into one room, they may use the coupon system (3 per Elite per day). On our TA from Barcelona, these coupons were abused as we saw many people being treated to cocktails by Elites who had "extra" tickets. No one was required to show their sea pass card to prove they were Elite.

From a cost standpoint, the coupons will probably cost Celebrity more because it's almost impossible to track who is getting the drinks. If you want to buy two drinks for your friends, get your two at the table and go to the bar and get two for your friends...you can show your "elite" card with coupons at both, if they start to ask.

The additional cost will likely be the real reason they don't extend this beyond those cruises with many hundreds of elites. Perhaps when the new levels come out, they will issue just two coupons to "standard elites" to control costs....but who knows.

In any case, where they use the coupons, it pretty much works unless you want to sit down between 5 and 6PM...but then again, it's pretty hard to find a seat then, even if they aren't using coupons. After 6PM, many go to dinner so seating is much easier. We practice before a cruise so we can down just as many drinks from 6-7 as others might drink between 5-7 :)

In any case, where they use the coupons, it pretty much works unless you want to sit down between 5 and 6PM...but then again, it's pretty hard to find a seat then, even if they aren't using coupons. After 6PM, many go to dinner so seating is much easier. We practice before a cruise so we can down just as many drinks from 6-7 as others might drink between 5-7 :)

Exactly right. We always went down to the Passport bar a few minutes before 6pm and the crowd did thin out after that. We had all the drinks we wanted since we are well practiced also. :cool: Agree - I just don't see Celebrity continuing to do the coupons as they are now. Too much abuse and lost revenue possible. We also saw many people using coupons for un-opened cans of soda for later use. Saw lots of people leaving with wine and beer to go to the main dining room. All of this is not allowed from the Sky Lounge get together.

From a cost standpoint, the coupons will probably cost Celebrity more because it's almost impossible to track who is getting the drinks. If you want to buy two drinks for your friends, get your two at the table and go to the bar and get two for your friends...you can show your "elite" card with coupons at both, if they start to ask.

The additional cost will likely be the real reason they don't extend this beyond those cruises with many hundreds of elites. Perhaps when the new levels come out, they will issue just two coupons to "standard elites" to control costs....but who knows.

Dont get me wrong, I like the why it is now. But when I do the math. I travel in a group of 4 to 10 people. Our core group of 4. Two of them are diabetics, the third will only have 3 drinks. If we each get 3 coupons. That means I get 9 drinks, each night. That is more than I drink in Michaels Lounge or the Sky Observation lounge. My next cruise is in 40 days. I better start drinking more over the holidays. Richard:confused::D

Glad they didn't use the voucher/coupon system. My brother and his wife, first time cruisers on this TA, did just fine without us during the 5-7 Elite Happy Hour. They found plenty to do on the ship to occupy their time. We met back up with them at dinner or the Martini Bar before dinner -- 2nd Seating.

We just got off this same TA cruise with Wine-O. According to the CC Hostess, we had 600+ Elites onboard this sailing, so the events were held as they were previously. She also told us that the Reflection had 1100 Elites onboard, thus causing the move to the coupon system. FWIW ...

The voucher system worked very well. And on a ship with only half the Sky Lounge as the rest of the Solstice sisters it's a relief to be able to go to (almost) any bar to get the Captains Club drink.

CaptainsClubEliteBeverageVoucher-1000.png

Just back form B2B in Silhouette, one cruise with Chits. I enjoy the Happy Hour as a daily highlight and was very happy the Chit System. Since my wife does not drink or attend HH so I got her Chits. A couple of drinks before dinner get a triple and return to the cabin. Take a drink from lounge to lounge and check out the crowd or a highball glass of wine for dinner. Fantastic. ~ Ric

Just back form B2B in Silhouette, one cruise with Chits. I enjoy the Happy Hour as a daily highlight and was very happy the Chit System. Since my wife does not drink or attend HH so I got her Chits. A couple of drinks before dinner get a triple and return to the cabin. Take a drink from lounge to lounge and check out the crowd or a highball glass of wine for dinner. Fantastic. ~ Ric

Which is why the chit system won't be rolled out as a fleetwide standard.

On same cruises with Ric. Skeptical at first, but came to view coupons as a postive. Could go to most bars for drinks, so not restricted to just one crowded place. Could sit with none Elite Member friends. Could take a drink or two to dinner. See some problems for Celebrity: (1) the sale of drinks in the MDR was impacted according to RM and F&B Manager; (2) no verification of Elite status for those using coupons and I saw a number of coupons passed to others.Some sources tell me that some changes to the Elite program will be announced in January. Some indication that they may shift from "credits" to "days".

Surprising. We were on the Eclipse transatlantic last spring and the cocktail party was the highlight of every day mostly to meet people and have fun. Sadly missed. We're on the Equinox next month-is this true of all Elites??? or just the Eclipse?

sesquire

Surprising. We were on the Eclipse transatlantic last spring and the cocktail party was the highlight of every day mostly to meet people and have fun. Sadly missed. We're on the Equinox next month-is this true of all Elites??? or just the Eclipse?

sesquire

The voucher/chit system is only used on cruises with a very high (700+) elites on board....which translates to "only some of the transatlantic cruises"....and it is used when necessary on all the Celebrity ships. Your non TA cruise will continue to use the single room for the elite social hour(s).

That would make it even less appealing to book Concierge Class if you didn't get the extra point. Especially on S class where the rooms are not different sizes. I suspect a few people would downgrade future cruises if the took away that benefit. Of course they could just count as extra days or points or whatever to compensate.

Tom

Who 'indicates ' days -----and how many would make Elite?

Who 'indicates ' days -----and how many would make Elite?

"Days" would give you credit for each day cruised. RCCL gives double days for Suites. The bean counters at Celebrity would make the decision on the days required for each level. Since nothing has been announced the terms of the program would only be a guess and yoursis as good as mine. This thread is focused on the coupons so I'll not say anything more about "days"on this thread.

I tried to post my comments here earlier today and some how the message didn't take, so I'm keeping it short this time:

The elite coupons worked out great! (1 December Silhouette TA cruise with close to 700 elite members). My friends and I went to the same bar every night and had the same waiter who took good care of us. Our waiter, when he saw us walking up, would look for an area for us to sit. He was on top of things and we never waited long for our drinks. Tipping $1/$2 per drink also helped. We felt we would get better service sticking to one bar/one waiter than going to the different bars.

I thought I would miss the original set up of the elite happy hour thinking I would miss seeing friends and meeting new friends. Not the case. We met many people during happy hour and throughout the cruise.

Kudos to Celebrity, IMHO, for this new set up.

Monica

Archived