Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

Thanks again for the reassurance, Family. I feel as though I am pretty good at mingling on cruise ships, but was concerned that PG might be only "goo-goo-eyed" couples. Adn I am more accustomed to numerous days at-sea, with passengers participating in on-board activities on those days ... which actually fosters more social interaction, I suspect, than would shore excursions every day. But as I said, you have reassured me, and I am confident the trip will be a total success!

I am certain of it! Your best bet is dine at the biggest. liveliest table from the very first night. Many people book excursions on board- you might learn right away of a "dive widow or widower" or a couple that is doing something that sounds appealing and would love to have you join them. Once we dined with folks, often the whole table would make its way to the lounge together for entertainment.

Have fun!:D

First, let me say a huge THANK YOU for your outstanding review and summary of your experience with PG! I have a booking for the 2 Oct 2013 sailing, 10-night Society Islands and Tuamotus, but was vacillating about whether or not to go. I am traveling solo, and the added "single supplement" is considerable! I was unsure whether or not I would enjoy the ship itself enough to justify fully the relatively high cost. However, your wonderful photos and descriptions resolved that doubt. Clearly the ship meets or exceeds all of my needs and expectations! Also, you posted menus ... that was a massive help! I am a "foodie" and was very worried about food on a small ship in a place where so much has to be air-cargoed in. Judging by the menus, the food is entirely appropriate in relation to the total cost of the cruise.

I am concerned, however, about traveling alone on PG. I do it all the time on Cunard, but I gather from your descriptions that the passengers on your PG trip were largely honeymooners, second-honeymooners, wedding annivesary celebrants, or travel groups. I am wondering how much I will stick out like a sore thumb as a 55-year-old never-married male traveling alone if the other passengers are all (or mostly) couples celebrating their "coupleness". I'm not much worried about the "onboard" experience, but rather about the shore excursion experience ... becoming the third (or fifth or seventh) wheel in the group. Did you notice any solo travelers, or people who took excursions without their spouses?

Again, thanks for the amazing review and summary. It really did serve to cement my plan to go as scheduled. I am now confident that the trip will be amazing!

We just got back at end of March & the food was amazing and yes I did see a few solo travelers within a big group. & yes several couples or brothers & sisters (from a big family group) in their 50's on our excursions were split up so you should be just fine. You will love it! I can't wait to go back!!!

Thanks again for the reassurance, Family. I feel as though I am pretty good at mingling on cruise ships, but was concerned that PG might be only "goo-goo-eyed" couples. Adn I am more accustomed to numerous days at-sea, with passengers participating in on-board activities on those days ... which actually fosters more social interaction, I suspect, than would shore excursions every day. But as I said, you have reassured me, and I am confident the trip will be a total success!

Have no fears, DesertSkies - PG cruisers and crew are the friendliest I've ever encountered! I was one of many couples celebrating an anniversary on the cruise, but my husband and I loved meeting and chatting with other travelers. We opted to sit at a group table at dinner every night for this very reason; the only evening we dined solo was at La Veranda in celebration of our anniversary. I really enjoyed the lively conversations we had and all of the interesting people we met.

There were a couple of days I dined or did activities solo; for example, after our Bora Bora by Le Truck tour, my husband wanted a nap while I wanted to visit PG's private beach; and on our last day on Moorea, my husband did the "Golf in Paradise" excursion while I visited the spa and lounged around the ship. At lunch, the dining staff were attentive and chatty when they saw me on my own; and while they initially sat me at my own table, fellow cruisers I had previously met invited me to join them at their table. At the Bora Bora beach, I chatted with fellow passengers and the bartenders at the little bar shack. In fact, several of the bartenders felt like friends by the end of the cruise; Elmo and Jonathan knew exactly what we liked to drink, and were always fun to chat with.

I realize that passengers will change from cruise to cruise; but based on others' reviews and experiences, it sounds like that friendly vibe is a constant on every sailing. And I see you've already joined the roll call for your cruise...it's a great way to meet fellow passengers before you go. Enjoy your trip...I know you will! :)

Originally Posted by DesertSkies120

We will be on the ship in July, sometimes we take the same excursions but not always! My husband does not dive and I do. You should be fine!

Second seating

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the great review. We will be going in a very short 6 weeks and finding your review is a great help. We do have a couple of questions.

First you mention water shoes, not flip flops are best. I was just wondering when you wore your water shoes. Snorkeling you have on flippers. If you go out from the beach is it rocky and thus the need for the shoes.

Second question is how does everybody handle carrying wallets, cameras, etc when going out on snorkel excursions etc. Do you carry a water tight case with you?

Thanks

Thank you so much for the great review. We will be going in a very short 6 weeks and finding your review is a great help. We do have a couple of questions.

First you mention water shoes, not flip flops are best. I was just wondering when you wore your water shoes. Snorkeling you have on flippers. If you go out from the beach is it rocky and thus the need for the shoes.

Second question is how does everybody handle carrying wallets, cameras, etc when going out on snorkel excursions etc. Do you carry a water tight case with you?

Thanks

Thank YOU, glad it's helpful!

As for water shoes- yes when snorkeling you'll have fins and likely be in deeper water, but for swimming (on the private motus and if you go to other beaches) there are bits of coral in the sand, or little pieces of reef under water. Also, this area has ben inhabited by spiny sea urchins with big black spikes ( an invasive species) they wont " attack- they dont move much;) but if you step on one by accident- ouch! This makes for some tough going since you can't always see these obstacles underfoot.

I also found beach shoes useful for " wet landings"- the amphibious tender runs right up into shore and you just hop out onto the sand- it's usually dry where you are supposed jump, but a little wave or movement of the boat and your sneakers could get soaked.

You may find you don't need them, but most folks really recommend using them and I lived in mine! But an old pair of sneakers could do the same trick- just don't count on the being dry in time for land excursions or on board later. My DH packed an amphibious sneaker he had hoped to use, but after the first couple of days he realized he was sick of having damp shoes all the time! So we used our OBC to buy him some reef runners.

As for water protection for your stuff- we found all the water excursions we did provided us with a secure place to store dry stuff. Most active excursions are not more than 6-12 people and the guide is very attentive and helpful about helping you stash and secure stuff..

We brought an underwater camera for water excursions. I really suggest investing in one. There are so many beautiful things in the water- especially while snorkeling! That way we never had to worry about a wayward splash, or drop into the water on a small craft ( as you read- we kayaked and did Patricks on the small outrigger, we used the water camera for all those shots. Also because it was raining during our bike trip around Moorea- we used it that day to rather than carry a large dry bag for the regular)

We brought the dry bag and never really used it for a water excursion, although it was handy for keeping the sun lotion in during flights so it didn't explode on our clothes!;) But a small one for a regular camera could be handy on the amphibious tender- we did find a couple of times it " swamped" and water washed all through it, luckily DH had our dry towels on his lap, but anyone with a bag on the floor had it soaked! The tender captains try to avoid that, but the sea is fickle!

During our Galapagos trip DH wanted to use some very expensive DSLR bodies and lenses for the wildlife- because of the tendering on small zodiacs we always used the dry bag, but in FP, we didn't find we needed it. Just keeping the bag on his lap was fine!

Good luck! And have a wonderful time!

I cannot begin to thank you for your wonderful posts. I have been trying to convince my DH to make Tahiti our next big vacation and I didn't have him quite convinced....until.... I asked him to read your review. I was smart and had him do it today ( Memorial Day & day off), and brought him my Ipad so he could read it in bed early this morning. After about an hour of reading he was on board.

Thank you for being candid, honest, detailed, and insightful. You have made my day........and my next vacation. :D

Diane

I cannot begin to thank you for your wonderful posts. I have been trying to convince my DH to make Tahiti our next big vacation and I didn't have him quite convinced....until.... I asked him to read your review. I was smart and had him do it today ( Memorial Day & day off), and brought him my Ipad so he could read it in bed early this morning. After about an hour of reading he was on board.

Thank you for being candid, honest, detailed, and insightful. You have made my day........and my next vacation. :D

Diane

That's funny Diane!! Glad I could help;) In our case my husband was trying to convince ME to go to the South Pacific...I was thinking a Med cruise. I was afraid I'd be bored just sitting on beaches, but FP is soooo much more than that! It was very active and the culture and the people are just amazing. Plus the ship is so romantic and casual and friendly!

I think the reason my review makes it appealing is all because of DH's fantastic photos:D Seriously, you don't have to frame or crop to get these beautiful vistas, just point and shoot, it all looks like that!!

Enjoy your trip!

First of all, thank you so much for this review!! We just recently started going on cruises, and I have found reviews to be so helpful!! I love reading about ones we may do and ones we may never do--it is amazing to get a sense of places so far away!

My OT question is about reading reviews. How do you find recently published ones on different lines without having to do individual searches? Some posters, such as yourself!!!, I have started to "follow" with the reviews in your signature. But others can be hard to find--and I'm interested in a few lines. Being new to both cruises and cruise critic, I'm not quite sure how to streamline this so that I can find new reviews.

Thanks!

First of all, thank you so much for this review!! We just recently started going on cruises, and I have found reviews to be so helpful!! I love reading about ones we may do and ones we may never do--it is amazing to get a sense of places so far away!

My OT question is about reading reviews. How do you find recently published ones on different lines without having to do individual searches? Some posters, such as yourself!!!, I have started to "follow" with the reviews in your signature. But others can be hard to find--and I'm interested in a few lines. Being new to both cruises and cruise critic, I'm not quite sure how to streamline this so that I can find new reviews.

Thanks!

Hi Brook- welcome to cruise critic and to cruising. I started writing them because long after I started cruising I discovered CC, and I loved reading them! Totally changed how I "cruise" now, I learn so much about the trip that I spend less time being overwhelmed by that "I don't even know what Im missing" feeling, by being prepared for the destinations and the ship! (like my list of little tasks to do at the beginning of this review- getting those simple things out of the way and not scrambling around last minute was something I learned from reading reviews here!)

Some boards move fairly slowly like this one, so a review seems to stay on the first page most of the time. I found great River cruise and Antarctica reviews this way too, because those boards are " slow". Some boards are "fast" like the Royal Caribbean one, or Carnival I imagine, i don't post there. Someone can post a good review there, and in 15 minutes its just gone to page 2 or 3, and then forever.

Thats one of the reasons I like to check CC daily- if I see a review for a ship or trip id be interest in, I subscribe, at the top you will see " forum tools" in a little drop down menu at the top, just select that and " subscribe to this thread" you can select to get a daily or instant email about that thread; that helps me follow it and find it again under " user cp" " manage subscriptions " later.

But that doesn't help much with finding them does it;)

Sometimes I search people whose reviews I've read and respect. I appreciated folks who linked theirs, which is why I started doing it! If I noticed someone commenting in a thread with a link to a recent review I might check it out.

Unfortunately, the search on CC is a little funky right now, because it's so huge, I think they may have disabled the " search for threads started by" search completely- I can't confirm that, but for several months now, and search of that type yields zero results despite my searching for folks I know for a fact have started dozens if not hundreds of threads. So that leaves " search for all posts by" search and then picking through to find the posts on their own threads...cumbersome at best!

Usually, the best way is go to advanced search and enter " ship name" plus review or live; and pick through to find ones that are less than a year old or so. Another thing is just to check in every day- if I see a review I'd like to read, but don't have time and don't want it to disappear, I subscribe, so I can find it again. You can also subscribe by commenting if you have your user CP set to subscribe to all the threads you comment on. That's why you see folks commenting " subscribing" on long or live reviews!

I discovered pretty quickly that not all reviewers are for all folks- one lady I've followed spends so much time in the Diamond lounge, that while I read her for the port info, the ship info isn't helpful to me despite the free drinks, I didn't step foot into the diamond lounge at cocktail hour!;) Another fellow is world famous and I love his reviews because he's like a favorite uncle; but frankly his reviews are photos of Windjammer food I would never in a million years eat:eek:

So, it's wonderful that so many people do reviews or live threads, but it is tough finding the ones that resonate with your own experience! On this board I like anything by Emdee, Wendy, Twin, Flight Medic, and TikinTahiti always has great stuff to share!

On the RCL boards I like Ocean Boy (intellectual and witty) , BillOh (very thorough and analytical) , bionicman97( humor and great photography), kanscocoa (this lady is funny!), Sailor Jack (a legend, truly!) Little Miss Magic (action and fashion is the passion, and her enthusiasm is infectious), Brian Alt. (food is his bag), Silent Bob (it's all about the deal;))...Live threads by Radio are always interesting.

I'm still learning my way around the River and Antarctica boards, but I'm already recognizing some posters who have reviewed or weighed in on matters that are really helpful! So it pays to be addicted to CC;)

Good luck with your searching and thanks for following along- I'm doing Jewel s Caribbean in 6 months and I loved that ship and am excited about the itinerary which I haven't done in about 20 years:D

I have over 200 pages of your review just printed out as there is so much wonderful info-regarding tours, the IC which we are also staying at pre and post cruise-loved the tour you took there and will prob take it also and food menus and daily schedules. We leave Thursday night 6/6/2013 Orlando to LAX and then on to Tahiti via Delta-not looking forward to the long flights but have so clearer of a picture of what to expect now thanks to you!

I can't thank you enough for all the info! I feel a lot less anxious as this is our first PG cruise-we've done alot of the others and have no concerns on those. We did not get any real info from PG.

Quick question-were there tour vendors selling tours at each of the ports of call in the morning vs paying the high cost off of the ship? Which was your favorite tour of the entire week?

I have over 200 pages of your review just printed out as there is so much wonderful info-regarding tours, the IC which we are also staying at pre and post cruise-loved the tour you took there and will prob take it also and food menus and daily schedules. We leave Thursday night 6/6/2013 Orlando to LAX and then on to Tahiti via Delta-not looking forward to the long flights but have so clearer of a picture of what to expect now thanks to you!

I can't thank you enough for all the info! I feel a lot less anxious as this is our first PG cruise-we've done alot of the others and have no concerns on those. We did not get any real info from PG.

Quick question-were there tour vendors selling tours at each of the ports of call in the morning vs paying the high cost off of the ship? Which was your favorite tour of the entire week?

Oh My...Hi Leslie! Will you have time to read it before you leave:eek: Have a great trip! if you are taking all of the PG provided pre and post extensions you should have got a very detailed booklet with your documents- I found it very helpful about what to expect for all the pre and post etc. But no worries, there will be a rep looking for you everywhere (I didn't expect one at LAX and there she was!)

There is a tour desk at IC, just head to them as soon as you see someone working there and book what you want same or next day for Tahiti.

For the cruise, I would try to make a few choices NOW for excursions if you can. There are not a lot of folks hanging around (like in the Caribbean) waiting to take you places. Most will get booked ahead with the resorts or the ship.

But again, no worries, although a few beloved popular tours book out way ahead; many people book once on board and the tour concierge on PG will book non PG tours for you also- for instance we had friends book scooters independently and we booked the bicycles using the concierge two or three days ahead.

Avoid Pia (the blonde in charge) she's tough to work with and friends on our cruise reported multiple screw ups. Stay on top of them...the the Excursion Concierge is the only, I mean only, weak spot on this trip. Which is why I urge you to pre reserve; then check your tickets as soon as you board.

You my be out of time to call PG to reserve ship tours (at some point they have to cut it off to get the info out to the ship in FP) , but you could try.

And with the time difference I'm not sure you've got enough time to organize private (but you could try). If you emailed them today, you might not hear for 12-16 hours because of the time zones:(

Ok so you are late...not to worry:D, you will still have a great time!! Enjoy your cruise! ( I think there is a business model for me in helping people like yourself who get around to planning 48 hours before leaving;) I gotta get on that!) Have a Wonderful Cruise...planned or not you will love it!!

Edited by Familygoboston

• 1 month later...

Had a great time! Flight was long-5 hrs to LA, 3 hr layover and 8 hour flight on Delta/Air France. Got exit row's on the Air France so we did get to sleep and the plane was not 1/2 full so you could take 3 seats and sleep if you wished. Got to the Intercontiental at 5:30 am and signed up for the Safari tour for that day at 7 am after showering in the Day room. Easiest way to wear out and sleep that night. Enjoyed the tour. I got in the water but Hubby did not since it was so cold. No mosquitos and the temperature was nice. Pretty bumpy ride for those with back problems. Got back to the Hotel-had lunch which was OK-not great but not bad either. Went to our room and crashed by 4 pm. The next day we had booked with the tour director at the IC a snorkel and swim with the spinner dolphin tour which was really great-Saw white tip sharks, black tip and had the dolphin wizing by me!! Came back to the IC and swam in the lagoon and fed the fish's the rolls from lunch. Lots of fish fighting over the bread.The tour lady was so sweet with her wild red hair and cute poodle dressed up in a different outfit each day-she got us a free transportation van to the port for the ship and we were able to beat the two bus's and get on the ship before the crowds. The first night we ate in La Veranda and loved it. THe next day we went to the Children's Tahiti show and loved it! So cute and took tons of pics. We booked the kayak tour in Raithea as soon as we got on board and had 6 other folks with us. We had our only rain and it was a good drenching on this tour returning back to where we had started from. It was all right-nothing all that great to write home about. The next day was one of my fav's at Taha'a where we were on the first tender and got a great spot on the front where I snorkeled for the next 3 hrs-saw lots of beautiful fish, blue lipped clams and a nice stingray. Had an OK bar b que on the beach comparable to most cruise ship bar b ques. Bora Bora I went to the pearl place recommended by trip advisor Arc de ..., we also booked at the last minute offof the internet with Reef Discovery with Fabian and it was a fabulous tour-we hit 4 snorkel pts-one with great fish and an enoumous green eel, second was to see the manta rays-which were a first, I also saw a turtle which is not that common there-the Jacque Coustea staff on the boat said they had only seen two the previous summer, third spot was for the clown fish and sea anomone and the last place was a place with tons of varieties of coral and a black tip shark. In Moorea my Husband went on a birding tour he had booked off line weeks ago, he also booked a birding tour for when we got off in Tahiti at the end of the cruise. I loved Moorea the best-we did a day pass both days and went to the Hilton Moorea which had fabulous snorkeling-lots of time in the water and lots of octopus there! Great visibility, no strong current and calm seas. The day pass of $65 covered your meal also so it was a great deal! Back to Tahiti for one additional night. I got there early in the morning after we got off the ship and staked a great lounger chair in the shade with a nice breeze and read. Met some great folks who were heading on the 10-11 day cruise that day. Also met nice folks from New Zealand on the boat and on the snorkel tour in Tahiti. I was not jealous as while it was great I prefer the Carribean-St. Lucia which was just like Tahiti to me but with a 3 hr flight from Orlando and for the best of snorkeling Curacao or one of the Dutch islands.:D

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had no trouble with booking what you wanted last minute! Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I've snorkeled in Bonaire and I agree it's beautiful, but I guess have to respectfully disagree- I found FP beautiful in a way that doesn't compare to the Caribbean. Maybe some perfect corner of some resort there could, but I was astounded at not only the incredible scenery everywhere over many islands, but especially the incredible beauty of the culture. I always find that so muddled and lost on Caribbean isles. I agree that the trip from the east coast is a huge barrier and probably whAt saves the place from ruin. ;) But you had a far better flight experience than we; and I'd go back again any time!:D

Thanks for your report!

First, let me say a huge THANK YOU for your outstanding review and summary of your experience with PG! I have a booking for the 2 Oct 2013 sailing, 10-night Society Islands and Tuamotus, but was vacillating about whether or not to go. I am traveling solo, and the added "single supplement" is considerable! I was unsure whether or not I would enjoy the ship itself enough to justify fully the relatively high cost. However, your wonderful photos and descriptions resolved that doubt. Clearly the ship meets or exceeds all of my needs and expectations! Also, you posted menus ... that was a massive help! I am a "foodie" and was very worried about food on a small ship in a place where so much has to be air-cargoed in. Judging by the menus, the food is entirely appropriate in relation to the total cost of the cruise.

I am concerned, however, about traveling alone on PG. I do it all the time on Cunard, but I gather from your descriptions that the passengers on your PG trip were largely honeymooners, second-honeymooners, wedding annivesary celebrants, or travel groups. I am wondering how much I will stick out like a sore thumb as a 55-year-old never-married male traveling alone if the other passengers are all (or mostly) couples celebrating their "coupleness". I'm not much worried about the "onboard" experience, but rather about the shore excursion experience ... becoming the third (or fifth or seventh) wheel in the group. Did you notice any solo travelers, or people who took excursions without their spouses?

Again, thanks for the amazing review and summary. It really did serve to cement my plan to go as scheduled. I am now confident that the trip will be amazing!

Virtually everytime we've been on the PG there have been singles of both sexes aboard and they did not stick out like a sore thumb. Yes they did take excursions.:)

• 3 months later...

I read your review many months ago when we first started planning and decided to reread it again today. We will be leaving next week so it was a great refresher on what to expect. Thanks again for all the work you put into this reivew. It is very informative and extremely helpful.

I read your review many months ago when we first started planning and decided to reread it again today. We will be leaving next week so it was a great refresher on what to expect. Thanks again for all the work you put into this reivew. It is very informative and extremely helpful.

Thank you! It's hard to believe its been over a year already- we still talk about this trip. It was so incredible! Enjoy and have a wonderful time- after all, the planning is all done so you can r e l a x once you get to FP!:D

Family, We will have family with us on the repeaters and your review has been forwarded to them for their reliance!

Thank you, M! It's high praise that someone with your experience on PG would think my review was worthy of sharing! I hope you enjoy sharing PG with family! :D

• 3 months later...
Our prayers go out to you all in the North East.

Looking to book for Jan-Feb, 2015 and trying to decide between the 7 day and maybe adding a few days in Moorea or doing the 11 day that includes the Cook Islands with just a 2 day pre-stay in Papeete. Since I'm pretty sure this will be our only visit to the region, which would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest the 10 day unless you like 7 days.

The 10 day Tuamotu and Society trip is the perfect mixture of mountain and atoll and give you a wonderful perpective on the different scenery in Polynesia.

If you like sea days then the 11 day would be ok as I think you have a couple of sea days there.

If you are counting your days away you cannot go wrong with the 7 day trip and three days in Moorea or Bora Bora.

I short all are good options depending on your needs.....but whatever you do take one of the trips.

We also thought it would be our once in a life time trip and 7 trips later on the PG ( plus the 8 one booked for this september) the end isnt in sight. If health and wealth permit I would love to go on the PG again and again and again!

Looking to book for Jan-Feb, 2015 and trying to decide between the 7 day and maybe adding a few days in Moorea or doing the 11 day that includes the Cook Islands with just a 2 day pre-stay in Papeete. Since I'm pretty sure this will be our only visit to the region, which would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Sue, those ^^^^^^ two give very good advice;) :D I would have done a 10 day and stayed in the region 2 weeks, had I been able to. We left two teens at home and had a HS senior applying to colleges who needed our support, and we could not "afford" the time to stay 2 weeks. If it's your only visit I would take a longer cruise and add on a couple of days ahead of time to "decompress" before your cruise.

• 5 months later...

This is the third time I'm reading your review. I print certain posts, and refer back to them, highlighting certain passages. We too will be going in October, and staying on deck 6! Two years after you. Hopefully some new readers will catch your review. We will be celebrating birthday number 70. We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise at the IC. Right now, our ATN flight is 7:50 am on disembarkation day. I suggested to my DH that if PG can change the flight to later that night; we can book a day room ($350) at the IC. (more time in Tahiti) He believes we already spent two days in Tahiti, why waste time (and money). Just take the red-eye back to New York and arrive at 5am, as opposed to 10pm. I'm almost ready to say "Okay, we will leave early" I'm an early riser anyway. I just didn't want to leave the ship that early! Any thoughts?