Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

This is the third time I'm reading your review. I print certain posts, and refer back to them, highlighting certain passages. We too will be going in October, and staying on deck 6! Two years after you. Hopefully some new readers will catch your review. We will be celebrating birthday number 70. We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise at the IC. Right now, our ATN flight is 7:50 am on disembarkation day. I suggested to my DH that if PG can change the flight to later that night; we can book a day room ($350) at the IC. (more time in Tahiti) He believes we already spent two days in Tahiti, why waste time (and money). Just take the red-eye back to New York and arrive at 5am, as opposed to 10pm. I'm almost ready to say "Okay, we will leave early" I'm an early riser anyway. I just didn't want to leave the ship that early! Any thoughts?

Aww! Thanks! That it's so helpful to you is the greatest compliment! I know I had not seen anything this complete in terms of photos and all the paperwork in a long time...but there are others with far more experience on PG or in FP!

Happy Birthday and Congratualtions on the milestone!

As far as debarking early...you will miss a bit in the AM; usually a leisurely breakfast and time to relax before you have to be out of your cabin. The day at IC was very relaxing for us. It did not feel like "waiting to leave" as sometimes activities before flying home do. But you won't be "missing" anything by leaving early, so long as you have the stamina for that very early long flight! Then turning around and going all the way to NY, is pretty arduous! My compliments to you for being able to do that, (in coach?)

Hope you have a great crusie! Please report back, I love hearing about other people's trips, which is why I report on mine;)!

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I can't tell you how many times I've read your GREAT review! Your information has been most helpful. We leave next Wednesday for the 11 night Society and Cook Islands itinerary. I'm a little concerned about the possibly rough waters on the way to and from the Cook Islands, but I'll be prepared with motion remedies if necessary. Doing my first go-round of packing today and my question is - did you wear your Keens for the shore excursions that included some trekking or do I need something more substantial? The Keens that I have are closed toed with heavy soles, but sandal-like on top. We're booked for Trails of the Ancients and one of the LeTruck tours in Papeete.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Hello,

I can't tell you how many times I've read your GREAT review! Your information has been most helpful. We leave next Wednesday for the 11 night Society and Cook Islands itinerary. I'm a little concerned about the possibly rough waters on the way to and from the Cook Islands, but I'll be prepared with motion remedies if necessary. Doing my first go-round of packing today and my question is - did you wear your Keens for the shore excursions that included some trekking or do I need something more substantial? The Keens that I have are closed toed with heavy soles, but sandal-like on top. We're booked for Trails of the Ancients and one of the LeTruck tours in Papeete.

Hi Sue,

Thank you! I'm so glad it's been helpful, that's what I hope for when I write these! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

As for the Keens, I find them great for warm weather hiking, for shorter hikes that don't require lots of ankle support. None of the excursions are terribly strenuous in terms of hiking. I would (and did!) hike and bike ride in my Keens on Moorea including the area where Trail of the ancients is run and the interior of Tahiti (we also took a jeep into that area, and swam in the water fall etc) With the webbing open on top, you might take a risk of getting a little muddy or an ocassionally pebble in the shoe, but I've never had any trouble with that in all my travels. For day excursions off of PG, I think you'll be fine with the Keens.

Don't fret the seasickness too much, I honestly believe the anxiety and attention to it (am I feleling sick, oh, does that feeling mean I'm getting sick? ) make it worse. One mind over body trick that works for me is to be mindful of the motion- I try to visualize the ship moving over the ocean and rocking and visualize my place on the boat. This helps my brain reset it's awareness to the motion that's actually happening. It really can work, just check in every so often and visualize! :D

If that doesn't help try my plan outlined in the review...it really does help

- ginger gum or real ginger candy at the first sign of queasy (most "ginger ale no longer contains ginger)

-keep some protein in your belly (nuts , cheese) at all times

-Try Bonine if there's no doubt you are feleling green, and stay where you can keep an eye on the horizion.

-Dramamine at bed of you are really feeling the motion.

Lastly, try not to fret that you'll feel sick the whole time, oftentimes after the initial adjustment, your brain adjusts and you won't always fell bad, so stay positive!

Thanks so much for your advice. I always bring too many shoes on trips and this time I'm really trying to go with one checked bag and not another carry-on to wheel around. Which itinerary did you do? Was it recent?

We managed with carryons, and we took our own snorkel stuff! We did the 7-day Society Islands, 12/27/14 - 1/3/15. I wrote a review; it's in a recent thread on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146067

Thanks so much for your advice. I always bring too many shoes on trips and this time I'm really trying to go with one checked bag and not another carry-on to wheel around. Which itinerary did you do? Was it recent?

We did the 11 day back in Aug 2013. Aiutaki was so quiet and peaceful.

The trail of the ancients is mostly down hill but you do have some small water crossing if I recall correctly. The first part is mostly through the forest and then towards the end is more grassy. I've got some pictures I'm sure.

Have fun.

We also only packed carry on bags, and I had everything I needed (using the laundry service) but in retrospect I wouldn't do it again because ATN is very picky about weight, and even though I'm a light packer, one roller bag with all of it (including snorkel gear) was easily over weight for carry on limits. Also, because we were using PG transfers we had to wait for everyone's bags to arrive in Tahiti anyway. So we checked that those roller bags on ATN but carried them on American for our connecting flights. In the future we'd just carry on essentials (for me that includes one set of everything in case the big bag doesn't make it) and pack one checked bag for both of us.

Hello,

Here is a pic from one of the beaches in Aitutaki (I spelled it wrong in the last post):

DSC_0561_zps9ba0dd50.jpg

There is a clam farm there as well which was neat.

Here is one from the Trial of the Ancients. I looked at what shoes we had on and we had sneakers or Keen type shoes but fully closed. I don't think you'd have a problem with the ones you described.

DSC_0746_zps997d49e4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I am booked for a cruise in June. If I book my excursions online through PG before leaving am I charged then or will I be charged on the boat? I want to use our OBC for the excursions.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I am booked for a cruise in June. If I book my excursions online through PG before leaving am I charged then or will I be charged on the boat? I want to use our OBC for the excursions.

Thanks!

This past September I was charged on the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yay! We have an ample amount of obc and a girl can only get so many massages! I'm glad to hear we can use it towards the excursion reservations beforehand.

Also, as a side note, I have greatly appreciated this review. It is so helpful and has eased my worrywart tendencies for our trip! :)

Yay! We have an ample amount of obc and a girl can only get so many massages! I'm glad to hear we can use it towards the excursion reservations beforehand.

Also, as a side note, I have greatly appreciated this review. It is so helpful and has eased my worrywart tendencies for our trip! :)

Thanks! We've got a website too, I put a lot of tips and hints there, about all kinds of travel stuff (not selling anything!) I usually post something new about once a week! It linked in my signature above!

Thanks! We've got a website too, I put a lot of tips and hints there, about all kinds of travel stuff (not selling anything!) I usually post something new about once a week! It linked in my signature above!

Read this review several times before we booked the reunion cruise this past Sept. It was very helpful to first time PG cruisers. I checked out your blog and will be a follower. Love your writing and your husbands photos. When we aren't actually traveling I will feel as if we are through your adventures.

Thank you Ruth and Sam! It makes me so happy that people actually read it! I realized that I enjoy writing for user generated sites like this one, but also like the freedom to review or link whatever I please, and with no photo limits per post! ;) Really, I think it's hubbys photos that do the trick! We would like to go back on PG again, but we've had some other travel priorities recently, so we've bumped it a few times already, but I'm glad you found my review helpful for your trip! :D

• 2 months later...

Wow, amazing review! I follow you guys on the RCCL boards (hope your week on Adventure was great!) and I stumbled onto this review after getting a wonderfully big, thick PG travel catalog in the mail. I'm thinking June 2017 for our 20th anniversary.

One question: which room is considered the main dining room? I know you made reservations on two of the nights, are two of those dining rooms considered specialty restaurants? On the other nights, can you just walk in and dine whenever you want? Is there usually a wait?

Thanks again!

Wow, amazing review! I follow you guys on the RCCL boards (hope your week on Adventure was great!) and I stumbled onto this review after getting a wonderfully big, thick PG travel catalog in the mail. I'm thinking June 2017 for our 20th anniversary.

One question: which room is considered the main dining room? I know you made reservations on two of the nights, are two of those dining rooms considered specialty restaurants? On the other nights, can you just walk in and dine whenever you want? Is there usually a wait?

Thanks again!

I'm so glad you found this! We loved PG for a special occasion! It's really designed for that and is very special! I'm so excited you are going! This board is fabulous for info, people are very very helpful!

The Main dining room L'Etoile is open seating at open times, you go in during the dinner hours and usually invited to join a large table (usually early on is is great way to meet others) then later in the week, you might choose to dine with folks you've met on excursions or onboard, and you just turn up together. The maitre d does a great job of matching ages and interests of folks by sizing them up, and like a good maitre d, he usually got it right!

The other two dining locations are Le Grill and La Verandah, these take reservations, we made reservations for both at La Grill as soon as we boarded.

There is the Le Grill on the pool deck which offers a dinner, sort of al fresco, it is covered but open to the pool area. Some recommend dining there when the ship is moored overnight so it's not windy. I think dining there even last minute is not hard, many folks prefer not to be outside, so on our cruise it wasn't difficult to dine there if you wanted.

La Verandah, which generally is more gourmet and formal (well, none is really formal, maybe what I mean is more romantic with couples generally dining alone rather than in big convivial groups as in L' Etoile.) It was more popular, and we booked as soon as we boarded, others waited till a day or two ahead and were either out of luck or had unusual times. I think they try to limit guests to just one visit during your cruise. Most of the folks on ours chose their "occasion" night (or designated that night to celebrate it!)

Both of those are open for lunch and breakfast too, and I partucularly liked going to La Verandah for lunch- it's open to the stern and you can dine outside, which is lovely!

I've posted menus in the review, so if you go through you'll find all that from 2 1/2 years ago- so that might have changed a bit! Happy sailing!

Eta: there is rarely a wait for anything!! Even if you ask for toast or an egg at a buffet, they will seat yiu and deliver it to you! It's very top notch service, and you just breeze in and are seated, really so relaxing!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks so much, Kathy! Your review was so helpful, I've read through it (twice!). DH and I are in the same "boat" as you and your DH...very active, so I got so many great ideas from you. Now I just wish bookings opened sooner...it doesn't seem official until it's actually booked!

One other quick question: I know your particular trip was limited on time, but if you had the option of a little more time, would you have done 2 or 3 days pre-cruise? If so, was Tahiti a good option for pre-cruise, or would you recommend another island?

Thanks again!

Missy

Thanks so much, Kathy! Your review was so helpful, I've read through it (twice!). DH and I are in the same "boat" as you and your DH...very active, so I got so many great ideas from you. Now I just wish bookings opened sooner...it doesn't seem official until it's actually booked!

One other quick question: I know your particular trip was limited on time, but if you had the option of a little more time, would you have done 2 or 3 days pre-cruise? If so, was Tahiti a good option for pre-cruise, or would you recommend another island?

Thanks again!

Missy

Oh, absolutely, we would have cruised longer! I think I talk a bit about the IC in Tahiti in the review, while the property is beautiful, it's a very "busy" place, lots of in transit people, day rooms, local events going on. I'm sure there may be other more quiet, romantic resorts on Tahiti, but others would have to comment on that.

While we loved the activities and culture we took in while in Tahiti, if you want a real relaxing out of the way experiences everyone says to go right to Moorea for a pre or post stay. You can either ferry or take a very short flight, but it's close enough to Tahiti (you can see it from IC) to not be a big connection before or after the cruise (depending on the itinerary, Moorea is often the last day and you can just disembark there rather than sail into Tahiti and disembark the next morning.)

That said, I've also heard that a stay on the other islands can be a very expensive add on, not just the cost of the room, but also the food and drink. We are considering a return in 2017 for our anniversary too, but I think we'd take a longer cruise with a short pre cruise stay again at IC rather than stay on another island, but that's just us!

We went 2 years ago and stayed the first night at the Hotel Tahiti Airport. The next morning we took a prearranged taxi to the ferry and went to Moorea for 3 days before the cruise. We stayed in an OWB at Hilton, Moorea and it was great. Moorea is beautiful. You must go to the Juice Factory for great souvenirs! At the end of the cruise we didn't upgrade to the IC and wished we had. We were not impressed with the Radison or Tahiti. If we had it to do over again we both agreed we would fly out the night before and forgo the day room in Tahiti all together. It made the day very long waiting to board the plane at midnight. You will LOVE PG. It was amazing and we can't wait to go back!!!!

We went 2 years ago and stayed the first night at the Hotel Tahiti Airport. The next morning we took a prearranged taxi to the ferry and went to Moorea for 3 days before the cruise. We stayed in an OWB at Hilton, Moorea and it was great. Moorea is beautiful. You must go to the Juice Factory for great souvenirs! At the end of the cruise we didn't upgrade to the IC and wished we had. We were not impressed with the Radison or Tahiti. If we had it to do over again we both agreed we would fly out the night before and forgo the day room in Tahiti all together. It made the day very long waiting to board the plane at midnight. You will LOVE PG. It was amazing and we can't wait to go back!!!!

Thank you for the advice! I think it would absolutely kill me to leave the ship "early"...but spending a day hanging around at the end of vacation isn't ideal either. We'll have time to figure that out...

I definitely think we'll do pre-cruise on Moorea, I for sure want a quiet atmosphere.

As for itinerary...I was thinking we'd do the 7 day, but it will all depend on which itinerary falls on our actual anniversary. I'm feeling sentimental and really want to be on the cruise for the actual date! :)

Thank you for the advice! I think it would absolutely kill me to leave the ship "early"...but spending a day hanging around at the end of vacation isn't ideal either. We'll have time to figure that out...

I definitely think we'll do pre-cruise on Moorea, I for sure want a quiet atmosphere.

As for itinerary...I was thinking we'd do the 7 day, but it will all depend on which itinerary falls on our actual anniversary. I'm feeling sentimental and really want to be on the cruise for the actual date! :)

That's sweet. I did the same thing when I booked our first PG cruise, for our 20th anniversary, just about 15 years ago.

The day "hanging around" isn't bad, you have to hang around at the airport no matter what you do. Leaving the night before is an option if you need to get back. You do miss a wonderful Tahitian dance performance, usually done on the last night of the cruise (at least I believe it still happens this way.)

Even one night in advance is good, just to rest and get ready for your cruise. Three or four days is wonderful, of course, and should be spent on Moorea, not Tahiti. But if it's just one or two nights, Tahiti is the best choice. Moorea is easy to get to during the day, but you can't travel there after dark (which is about 6 p.m.), so you often end up staying one night on Tahiti anyways.

• 8 months later...

What a great review. I had to skim over it cuz I spent my day reading (Ginny) an RCI Allure review - but it caught my interest b/c I saw the TV show that dedicated an hour to PG. It looked so amazing! I never heard of PG or Azamara before that! I cannot wait to go over all your posts!!!!

P.S. Amazing pics. I am a photographer myself, and there is nothing like being out to sea, and taking those sunrise/sunset/sihlouette pics! GAH!