Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

I'm glad we've established there is no wife swapping going on ;)

Welcome Mr Tiki!! And congrats on your anniversary!

Questions: I'm no air expert...there are a couple of good threads here about the recent ATN upgrade including a link to ATN's pres release. But my take on it was that the roll out of new planes was going to take longer than Sept 13, and since there is no way to know which aircraft they plan to use, you'd be taking a gamble.

As to the difference between AF and ATN, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the major differences being 1-the ability to use miles (many folks do and AF has more partners, so more folks can use miles there) and 2-that the flight arrives at the crack of dawn. You'd need to book one of your pre nights at IC for the night you are flying in order to get right into your room or wait till 2:30 PM after a long flight:eek:

The other thing to look into is the flight home...I believe the AF folks had to debark the ship on Friday night once arriving in PPT to fly out on a late night flight. I could be completely wrong on that, and if you are planning to stay a few post nights, it would not matter anyway. It can be done, but you would miss the last night, which might feel premature.

Lastly, We did not book BC on ATN. There are very few seats, and universally people who book them say that they are minimally more comfortable than coach. Those who have done it have tried to upgrade at the gate to make it "worth it"; the last quote I got for 2014 BC upgrade on ATN was 3k per person. It's possible the new BC will be available at that price, but again, if you look at their press release, not sure you'd be guaranteed the new seats. Just walking past the old seats did not even seem worth the $800 pp gate upgrade to me! And I should say, no one has reported being able to get a gate upgrade anytime recently. Most times they are sold out as there are only 3 rows of seats. Also, many report that they only release one BC mile upgrade seat at a time, so you can't use miles to upgrade to BC on two seats; you'd have to do one and hope:confused: they release a second one or share the seat (splitting time, not at the same time:p)

Our strategy was to take the included coach ATN flight, we used miles to make the East to West coast trip more comfortable ( DH flies AA regularly and was able to get the exit row- but you could also use miles to upgrade that flight) and then we planned to stay awake for the 8 hour ATN flight (we have tablets and loaded movies on) and then arriving at 11 PM, we hit the hay immediately, and were "on track" from a jet lag point of view.

Totally up to you, but I would not spend for the upgrade given the lack of "difference" (no sleeper seats etc) for the money and the relative shortness of the flight (say compared to east Coast to Oz (22 hr)or Africa (16 hr) or Asia (20 + hrs)) And really, don't most of us sit at a desk for 8 hours or in front of the tv on Sunday watching football??:p It's doable and heck I have a lot better things to spend 6 grand on;)

Wow, great reply, thank you - that is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Actually I don't sleep well on planes anyway so the idea of taking the afternoon ATN flight and just "toughing it out" for 8 hours might work. I had to do Atl to Paris twice last year and the Premium Economy seats on the AF plane were the same as the BC on the ATN plane - not overally comfortable. Also, leaving a day early would take some of the luster off the cruise (for the AF flight). Sounds like the airpackage from PG with the coach ATN seats will just have to do (and use the FF miles for 1st class from LA to Atl makes much more sense).

Now we can really start making some plans.

Tiki (in training)

My ATN flight in economy was the single most uncomfortable flight I have ever taken.

While BC is tired and old on the planes pre-refurb I disagree LOUDLY that there is not much difference. Yes it was a better experience 5-10 years ago but if you afford the upgrade or have the points just do it. Maybe economy would be different if you could move the armrest up! Will be flying economy in September and not looig forward to it.

Yes my wife is in BC!

My ATN flight in economy was the single most uncomfortable flight I have ever taken.

While BC is tired and old on the planes pre-refurb I disagree LOUDLY that there is not much difference. Yes it was a better experience 5-10 years ago but if you afford the upgrade or have the points just do it. Maybe economy would be different if you could move the armrest up! Will be flying economy in September and not looig forward to it.

Yes my wife is in BC!

She won't share, Twin? ;):p

I agree about the armrest; if there are two seats on the sides, as a couple you should be able to put that up and snuggle in together, but the way it goes up part way, it just digs in. We did get lucky on the way home the attendant at check in saw DH's unusual height and assigned us the two seat at the exit door, so we had leg room and could at least stretch out on the red eye home when we wanted to sleep. But it was so cold by that door, I was wrapped in my pashmina and had wool socks on and was still chilly. Anyway, in the scheme of things, I still think of 8 hours as short, but every person has to decide what to value comfort!

Yes my wife is in BC!

Twin, we are looking at the Sept 14th sailing - is that the same one that you will be doing?

Did you use an agent or just do everything yourself, direct with PG? We typically can do all our own arrangements but this is a whole different hemisphere. We usually sail with Celebrity on the S-class ships (just did a 7 night in Feb to the Western Carib). I also book all our excursions privately (diving or tours). Have you found that PG offers enough excursions to not worry about finding private operators?

Tiki (no, not the original Tiki :) ).

Nope, if she wants to disclose she can but I won't tell.

PG has some good tours. Some of the better vendors are already part of the list. It is getting harder to fill your on excursions with the better venders as some have a deal with the PG and can't book direct.

Twin, we are looking at the Sept 14th sailing - is that the same one that you will be doing?

Did you use an agent or just do everything yourself, direct with PG? We typically can do all our own arrangements but this is a whole different hemisphere. We usually sail with Celebrity on the S-class ships (just did a 7 night in Feb to the Western Carib). I also book all our excursions privately (diving or tours). Have you found that PG offers enough excursions to not worry about finding private operators?

Tiki (no, not the original Tiki :) ).

Hi - I plan it all myself and then tell my TA what to do! Yes I am on the 9/14 the cruise - I have started a roll call and am on the 9/21 after that. I always do my own air and almost always my own pre/post. BUT this is because of my points mania and what have been able to accumulate and use. Send me an email at

lbabbin at comcast.net - I will try to answer any questions you have.

AND NO - MY WIFE WON'T SHARE! I only had enough ATN points for a freebie in economy!

If the plane has been refurbished I might consider an upgrade at the airport depending on the cost. There is plenty to do on your own and easy to find private operators on virtually any island the PG visits normally.

Twin,

the upgrade was 1079 last month. Given the current seats I didnt think it worth it.

I have in the past from time to time. This time just sucked it up. Nowadays I take a tablet and get at leat 5-6 hours sleep.

We are also into the points gig. But mostly star alliance so no way to go to Tahiti with them. I guess we could use AMEX points for AF but now that is a non option too!

ATN does codeshare with America Airlines (OneWorld Alliance, of which British Airlines and others are a part), so we booked through AA for our cruise later this month, and at least got the miles to our AA account. It is next to impossible IMO to get a business class upgrade on the codeshare, though (and I book with my Starwood AMEX and pile up more points that can transfer to AA 1:1 when I might want). Bob H

I recently talked to ATN. They have no plans to change anything right now. There were rumors they would actually join the One World Alliance.

If AF stops flying to PPT I hope someone jumps in.

Air New Zealand used to from LA.

Day 2 Oct 5 Tahiti

The next morning, we stepped out on the porch for our first "look", this is when I thought 2 things,

"I'm so glad that Emdee recommended upgrading to the panoramic room" and

"this could not be more perfect!"

I could hear the waves crashing on the reef, and see the ocean beyond the infinity pool, and beyond the tiki hut bars and restaurant, the mountains of Moorea were rising in the blue sea, birds were serenading and other than the far too loud couple in the room above us (why are you talking loudly at one another? Its paradise, people!) everything is perfect.

Except that I was wrong, at about 6:45 AM, a gardener came down the path took one look at the grounds right in front of our room and began raking the fallen bougainvillea blooms off the grass (which I thought looked kinda pretty on the ground!)- ok, I guess now it was perfect! Honestly, it is as breathtakingly beautiful and peaceful as advertised.

(the perfect view from our IC room- well worth the 14 hours it took to get there!)

DH wandered a bit to get some pictures and then we head for breakfast.

(photos of IC property)

At this point DH makes the joke that "it looks just like Disney World" :rolleyes: without missing a beat I comment that, "yes, they sent the Polynesians to WDW to figure out the proper theme for the IC":p . So already we are having fun with the connection between our honeymoon and our second honeymoon!

Breakfast is included in our pre days with PG. It is a large buffet the Tiare restaurant, with everything you can imagine to please you from whatever corner of the globe you hail. Need sushi?- they've got it! want vegamite?-they've got it! PB? ketchup? what do you want?... they've got it!

Sorry to ask this question, but do you remember what time the buffet opened every morning? We are booked with Patrick Sat morning before we board and he is picking us up at 8:15.

I was hoping we could have breakfast first. I can't possibly miss a meal!:D

Steve

It's DD who does this and she is in Tokyo right now.

It will be some time before she will have a moment. If you want the menus and give me your Email add I will send them to you via IPad. I just learned that!

Keep in mind the offical buffet opening time is 6:30 am but usually (I've done the buffet at least 10 times) all of the items are not out yet. The cooks are busy setting up & trying to get an egg to order or omlete is almost impossible until they are fully ready, usually by 7:00 am.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Tiki is correct. But most items are out and they made omelettes etc for us last month. The dishes that were not ready we're the seafood curries etc. but the usual eggs, bacon sausages, rolls fruit were all out around 6.30. Basically anything I wanted to eat was there!

Thank you both for the buffet info. Even 7:00 or 7:15 will give us an hour before pick up.

Miriam if its not too much trouble my email is wncruiser at gmail dot com. Thanks so much for the menus!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Well, this was a fabulous review and all those sunset photos are AMAZING.

I'm very glad you didn't burn down the ship with that $150 hair dryer :eek:

Can't wait until it's my turn to go. Tahiti has been calling my name for years and years. One day, I will answer. :)

First, let me say a huge THANK YOU for your outstanding review and summary of your experience with PG! I have a booking for the 2 Oct 2013 sailing, 10-night Society Islands and Tuamotus, but was vacillating about whether or not to go. I am traveling solo, and the added "single supplement" is considerable! I was unsure whether or not I would enjoy the ship itself enough to justify fully the relatively high cost. However, your wonderful photos and descriptions resolved that doubt. Clearly the ship meets or exceeds all of my needs and expectations! Also, you posted menus ... that was a massive help! I am a "foodie" and was very worried about food on a small ship in a place where so much has to be air-cargoed in. Judging by the menus, the food is entirely appropriate in relation to the total cost of the cruise.

I am concerned, however, about traveling alone on PG. I do it all the time on Cunard, but I gather from your descriptions that the passengers on your PG trip were largely honeymooners, second-honeymooners, wedding annivesary celebrants, or travel groups. I am wondering how much I will stick out like a sore thumb as a 55-year-old never-married male traveling alone if the other passengers are all (or mostly) couples celebrating their "coupleness". I'm not much worried about the "onboard" experience, but rather about the shore excursion experience ... becoming the third (or fifth or seventh) wheel in the group. Did you notice any solo travelers, or people who took excursions without their spouses?

Again, thanks for the amazing review and summary. It really did serve to cement my plan to go as scheduled. I am now confident that the trip will be amazing!

Well, this was a fabulous review and all those sunset photos are AMAZING.

I'm very glad you didn't burn down the ship with that $150 hair dryer :eek:

Can't wait until it's my turn to go. Tahiti has been calling my name for years and years. One day, I will answer. :)

Thanks Cruisin K- you found it! Hope you get to go one day soon!:D

First, let me say a huge THANK YOU for your outstanding review and summary of your experience with PG! I have a booking for the 2 Oct 2013 sailing, 10-night Society Islands and Tuamotus, but was vacillating about whether or not to go. I am traveling solo, and the added "single supplement" is considerable! I was unsure whether or not I would enjoy the ship itself enough to justify fully the relatively high cost. However, your wonderful photos and descriptions resolved that doubt. Clearly the ship meets or exceeds all of my needs and expectations! Also, you posted menus ... that was a massive help! I am a "foodie" and was very worried about food on a small ship in a place where so much has to be air-cargoed in. Judging by the menus, the food is entirely appropriate in relation to the total cost of the cruise.

I am concerned, however, about traveling alone on PG. I do it all the time on Cunard, but I gather from your descriptions that the passengers on your PG trip were largely honeymooners, second-honeymooners, wedding annivesary celebrants, or travel groups. I am wondering how much I will stick out like a sore thumb as a 55-year-old never-married male traveling alone if the other passengers are all (or mostly) couples celebrating their "coupleness". I'm not much worried about the "onboard" experience, but rather about the shore excursion experience ... becoming the third (or fifth or seventh) wheel in the group. Did you notice any solo travelers, or people who took excursions without their spouses?

Again, thanks for the amazing review and summary. It really did serve to cement my plan to go as scheduled. I am now confident that the trip will be amazing!

Desertskies- first , thank you for your kind words!

Second, I want to try to reassure you...yes, there were loads of "couples", but it was such a convivial group on board...people were not off mooning on their own, everyone mixed. One "group" that hung out together all week was a gay couple married over 30 years and two honeymooning hetero couples; it was more of a gang than couples, they shut down the Tahha motu! We also had a couple of mothers and daughters/ sisters groups who were often on deck or dining together.

If you pick excursions, I think you will find the same...a 4x4 holds 6, if you are 5, everyone will be friendly and inclusive. A boat tour, maybe 12, again everyone mixing newlyweds, anniversary couples, sisters etc. There are also quite a number of " dive widows", women whose men are planning dive excursions, and these ladies might be happy to join you for a different tour, or you can discreetly ask the excursions staff if any excursions seem to be collecting more " singles".

Also the staff is really in touch with the group, and they will know you are on your own, the Maitre D would put you with a lively group, not as a third with a honeymooner couple. They are truly skilled at matching people for dining...we had wonderful chemistry at our tables each night, and were only seated once with a group we couldn't abide by (really just one big blowhard on our cruise, but someone had to sit with him every night:rolleyes:)

I can't know for sure if this general attitude will prevail on every cruise, but it seems to be the general vibe I get from all reviews and frequent PG cruisers. If your cruise is anything like ours, you won't feel like you are looking at your feet while lovers are giving each other goo goo eyes, ;) if you introduce yourself all around, you will make friends easily! Most people are very well traveled and that is always a good conversation starter!

Have fun, wish I were going back! :)

Thanks again for the reassurance, Family. I feel as though I am pretty good at mingling on cruise ships, but was concerned that PG might be only "goo-goo-eyed" couples. Adn I am more accustomed to numerous days at-sea, with passengers participating in on-board activities on those days ... which actually fosters more social interaction, I suspect, than would shore excursions every day. But as I said, you have reassured me, and I am confident the trip will be a total success!