Is there a European version of the PVSA?

SnowshoeCat

I'm wondering if it would be legal to leave the ship at a Norwegian port when it's scheduled to go back to Copenhagen. I'd rather have an extra day in port then at sea. Yes, I will work out details with the cruiseline. I just don't want to call today when they're busy with storm recovery. And if it's just not legal, then I won't call at all. I just hope to get some preliminary info here. I know some people have caught up with the ship at subsequent ports. My plan would be to "check out" a day early.

Is the PVSA this peculiar rule about closed loop cruises? If so, there's no equivalent in Norway.

You could email the Norwegian embassy for confirmation, but I should think all you have to do is go through Norwegian customs as if you'd arrived on a normal ferry.

The PVSA is unique to the US, as it was intended to protect US shipping, of which there is none, outside of POA in Hawaii. But that is why we have these strange gyrations in itineraries, such as stopping in Ensenada coming from Hawaii to the US mainland, or stopping in Vancouver or Victoria on a coastal cruise.

We have taken numerous European cruises, uncluding river cruises, and there never seems to be a problem with getting off early.

The sort of thing you suggest is done all the time but you MUST have written permission from the cruise line. they have to know your plans and approve them. Some ports, you would not even be permitted to reach the gangway if your name is not on the 'list'.

This permission is granted willingly and often if it is legal in the ports where you request it.

Archived