Has anyone used Seabands? Do they work?

kiraryker

Luckily I dont, or have never gotten, sea sick. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which is very similar to (Dimenhydronate) Dramamine acts like a sleeping pill on me and I can barely function.

I dont really buy the whole pressure point thing on the sea bands, but if it works for you, that is what counts.

I didn't buy it either.....very skeptical of accupressure, accupuncture, any time of "non-traditional" medicine....until I tried it. I figured it couldn't hurt, and I knew it wouldn't make me drowsy. They work on me for "normal" cruising (whatever that may be). I get car sick, I get sea sick floating on a float on the ocean or lake, etc...very susceptible.

They did not, however, work on a rough and tumble cruise! We were on the Pacific one cruise and it was pretty rough....lots of sick folks! They did not work and I had to take the drugs....didn't care for that as I was in a fog most of the time.

As an RN, I am always skeptical about "natural" control of most anything-but decided to give the sea bands a try for severe nausea from medication I was taking. They worked wonders for me! I have never used them at sea, as I do not have a problem-but the pressure points they hit were nothing short of a miracle for controlling the nausea! Well worth a try! (Just have plan B ready in case they do not work for you! ;))

Diane Strickland RN BS CRNI

That's nice to know! My sister tried them for morning sickness but they did not work...we figured it was because the nausea was not caused by motion...but may be that it just didn't work for her.

Whiltst there are sceptics out there, sea-bands can work, although I would not suggest that they work for everyone. They need to be placed correctly, and that may be one reason why some people don't find they work. The little plastic 'button' has to be in the correct place, too low or too high and they won't work. They have been found to be beneficial to patients undergoing chemotherapy and who are experiencing nausea, too.

There are several different types of seabands available here in the UK. There are the elastic ones which you stretch over your hand before placing in the correct position on your wrist, but I find these get too stretchy to be useful, or they are too big to start with. Some people might find them too small - maybe that is why people experience swelling of the arm - that doesn't seem right to me, they should not cut off the circulation to that extent.

I prefer the adjustable ones which have two ends which you secure with velcro so that you get a perfect fit. You can also loosen them a little if they are cutting off your circulation - they should not do that, if they do then you may not be wearing the right size or you may need the adjustable ones.

I have used them onboard ships, and also for pregnancy sickness with great success - they aren't just for motion sickness. If it is really rough then I will take a tablet, but only at night, as they make me so sleepy.

They are definitely worth trying as they are non-invasive and cost little.

Anecdotal but here is my friend's story.

My good friend always got seasick. Her DH is a physician and he prescribed every possible remedy for her and yet she always got seasick. Her sons loved cruising, DH and she loved it but dreaded those days when she felt ill.

She and I were on the phone talking about sea bands which were relatively new at the time.... many years ago. Her DH walked in the room and overheard us and snickered a bit. I heard them going back and forth about it and I asked to speak with him.

He took the phone and I asked, "Can they hurt her in any way"? "No, they are non-invasive and safe but the only benefit they would have is 'power of suggestion' and I asked, "So, what's wrong with that?" I told him to cut it out, stop being so negative about them and let his DW try them. Be positive about it and if power of suggestion works for her, fine. Nothing he had given her was working so what was there to lose? He agreed and 'went along'.

She put on the seabands and faithfully never was without them and had the best cruise ever.

She has sailed a number of times since and they keep her feeling well. If it is all in her head, I don't know. What I do know is she now looks forward to cruising and she thanks sea bands for that.

So do I. :)

I think they work. I've heard enough stories about them from enough people to think if they are placed on the wrist exactly as directed, always using both, for some people, they are excellent. The British Navy was distributing them at one point. I don't know if they still do.

Give them a try.

There's no way they can hurt you.

My friend was very sick with her first pregnancy. She used these bands for the second and they worked very well. They work on the Acupressure principle and are designed for nausea caused by motion sickness or pregnancy. I say try them.

My son tried dramamine last time and it just made him sleep thru the cruise then he tried Bonnie - didn't help - allergic to ginger

I'm hoping these work?

You're not going to know until your son tries them. People on these boards can tell you that the bands work for them but only your son's physiological response to the therapy will answer if they are indeed therapeutic. If they work, great! If they don't, you need to consult a doctor for him since you have tried 3 items that are a bust.

We always use Bonine.

The OP said that Bonine didn't work for her son.

I never tried the SeaBands, but I have used a ReliefBand for years after trying Dramamine, Bonine, the patch, and ginger.

They no longer make my original model, but I found the new one here:

http://www.aeromedix.com/Reletex-Anti-Nausea-Device.html

It is pricey, (more than twice as much as I paid), but when my current model goes, I'm definitely getting one of the new ones.

Good morning everyone!! 12 days till we sail the Dream:) I am going to buy one of these for sure. I don't actually get sick, but light headed, I feel more motion than most people. I wear those Power Balance bracelets all the time. And even my doctor said, "if it works for you wear it"! Might be all in my head but I feel great!!

Does acupuncture really work?

President Obama

“I think it is pretty well documented through scientific studies that Acupuncture can be very helpful in relieving things like migraines and other ailments.”

Read more:*http://www.enduringamerica.com/april...wn-hall-m.html

Dr. Oz

A:*Those little pinpricks can be an effective way to manage pain. Specifically, studies show that acupuncture can alleviate the debilitating symptoms of osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. There are several theories as to why acupuncture works. One is that it triggers the release of endorphins, part of the body's pain-control system. Another is that it increases blood flow to the areas of needle insertion. Regardless, find a practitioner who is certified by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.

Read more:*http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Ozs-T...#ixzz21eRlvtQv

Archived