Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

[quote name='nycqueen']Perfectly acceptable may be your opinion, totally classless is my opinion.[/quote]

I have seen many people enter the dining room with glasses of wine or some other drink they carried over from one of the bars. You cant assume they would be bringing it from their cabin. Well you might be able to think that now with the new policy on RC. :) It does not bother me if people do that and I would not judge them as classless. ;) Edited by janetz

Does anyone know a good place to buy wine between the San Juan airport and the pier? Will be going on Adventure in 2 weeks and want to plan ahead if we need the cab driver to make a detour. Thanks!

I don't know if Adventure sails from the same pier as the Summit did but there was a store at the pier to purchase wine prior to boarding. It was a little $$$ and not a large choice but it served the purpose. Maybe someone can let us know if they sail from the same pier.....if it does you are covered. Happy Sails to you. :)

How can a thread about a change in bringing wine on board turn nasty? IMHO that is what is classless.

Sue

[quote name='bajathree']Very easy to tell the difference between wine and liquor in a bottle....just shake it;)Also pretty easy to tell tampered wine bottles.[/quote]

We make our own wine. if I were to take a wine bottle, fill it with liquor, cork it and put a shrink on it at my wine store, you couldn't tell the difference - never know it was opened. It could be done.

On the other hand, you could just sail Holland America where you can bring as much wine onboard as you want and buy alcohol at reasonable prices (for a Canadian) for your stateroom.

Plus, you can bring as much soda or water on board as you want, too!! Edited by superoma

Maybe a staff member could edit the first post with the details on the corkage NOT being applied under all circumstances....otherwise this thread will bloat to 100 pages of the same "OMG $25 to enjoy a bottle in my stateroom??!" misconception responses from people who only bothered to read the first one or two posts before responding.

As for those who have had their bottles confiscated at security and are then being told that they'll get them back later, what I'd like to know is....why is "confiscated" booze being loaded onto the ship after the fact? You'd think it would be just left at the pier along with every other confiscated item. Edited by Oshawapilot

[quote name='workathome']I just googled double wine cases found this:

[URL]http://www.winestuff.com/wine-carry-bags/double-bottle-wine-carry-bags.html[/URL]

Hope it helps![/quote]

Thank you!! I didn't see that site. Lots of good choices on there!:)

Ok folks its been a long amazing day in the Allure, Good news! After dinner we came to our room to find our two bottles waiting for us. We coming back to get the documents to go ask for them, but they were just there waiting.

So yeah now I am here enjoying a drink in my balcony, with they wine i brought.

happy days everyone.

I will write a full review later on when I get home. Look for it.

[quote name='nycqueen']Perfectly acceptable may be your opinion, totally classless is my opinion.[/quote]

On Oasis and Allure there is an area on either side before you enter the dining room that is a self-serve wine bar. You can buy a glass of wine to enjoy while you're waiting to enter the dining room......or to enjoy with you dinner.
Very classy IMHO. [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4H5ArJYcNM[/URL] Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

[quote name='gambee']Ok folks its been a long amazing day in the Allure, Good news! After dinner we came to our room to find our two bottles waiting for us. We coming back to get the documents to go ask for them, but they were just there waiting.

happy days everyone.

I will write a full review later on when I get home. Look for it.[/quote]

Glad to hear you got your wine......enjoy, enjoy enjoy. :) Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Two bottles are better than none! You can also have some sent to your cabin that are ordered through RCCL's "Gifts & Gear"...Wine Cellar. Yes, more expensive, but according to what the new policy states:

"Anyone who receives wine as an amenity or Gift via a Royal Caribbean purchase is permitted to consume it in their stateroom or any of the public areas onboard (including the dining room, specialty restaurants, and bars/lounges) without incurring a corkage fee.

Question: How are they going to know whether it was from the "Gifts & Gear" purchase or....part of the original 2 bottles allowed upon embarkation ??? :confused:

The new policy continues on to state:

"Guests are not allowed to bring any other alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use."

Next question: Does that mean water and soda ?? :confused:

Thought we had a good policy change for wine drinkers, but needs more specifics as it seems it will be a "work in progress" until they iron out the kinks.

Just hope it doesn't get abused and ruin a good thing so far. :eek:

P.S. for the poster who required Kosher wine there is one on the list.

Ok folks its been a long amazing day in the Allure, Good news! After dinner we came to our room to find our two bottles waiting for us. We coming back to get the documents to go ask for them, but they were just there waiting.

happy days everyone.

Thank you for the update!! Enjoy your cruise ...and wine! :D

Does anyone know a good place to buy wine between the San Juan airport and the pier? Will be going on Adventure in 2 weeks and want to plan ahead if we need the cab driver to make a detour. Thanks!

Many grocery stores in the area sell wine. Have your taxi stop somewhere on your way to the port, or do as we did....pack it in your checked luggage from home. Yes, it will add weight to your checked luggage when flying, but then you will have that much weight to refill with what you purchase to take back home.

Water and soda is sold in the Pan American port, after security and check-in, before going up the escalator to board ship. Once you check in, they actually come around and solicit sales of water and soda to take on the ship!! Take some recyclable bags along with you to cart the soda and water onboard with you. Better yet, once you've gotten it your cabin, go back off the ship, to the terminal and buy your soda and water so you don't have to cart it around while you wait on your cabin to become available.

happy days everyone.

Cheers!:D:D

Many grocery stores in the area sell wine. Have your taxi stop somewhere on your way to the port, or do as we did....pack it in your checked luggage from home. Yes, it will add weight to your checked luggage when flying, but then you will have that much weight to refill with what you purchase to take back home.

Water and soda is sold in the Pan American port, after security and check-in, before going up the escalator to board ship. Once you check in, they actually come around and solicit sales of water and soda to take on the ship!! Take some recyclable bags along with you to cart the soda and water onboard with you. Better yet, once you've gotten it your cabin, go back off the ship, to the terminal and buy your soda and water so you don't have to cart it around while you wait on your cabin to become available.

I have heard that wine is also available in the port shop after going through security but before boarding the ship. Is this the case? I have a sailing on Jewel out of Puerto Rico next year. Thanks for any

information.

Ohh..just editing this as I see earlier posters confirming there is a shop at the terminal that sells wine.

Edited by KittyCat1Million

Seriously...RCI needs to get with the program on this. It should NOT be that difficult 4 days in to have communicated a major policy change to security. The terminal managers only need to go to each inspection/xray station and tape up a freaking "NEW POLICY, 2 WINE BOTTLES PER PERSON NOW ALLOWED" sign.

I thought it was two bottles per Cabin, not per person so I went to the UK website and they aren't really clear. It says guests are allowed two bottles. Doesn't say anything about per cabin. Guess we will have to wait for the official U.S. Release of the new policy.

If they are your own kids, they can be booked into their own cabin as long as it is next to or across the hall from their parents.

Sorry, that is not correct. Kids 'officially' must share a room with someone 21 or older. This is taken direct from the Royal Caribbean website and confirmed by my travel agent:

"No Guest younger than age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult of twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing".

So Mellygrant is this being applied in Oz as well do you know? Sailing in feb for my birthday and would love to take some nice SA wine with us.

Yes, confirmed on the Royal Caribbean Aust/NZ fbook page today. Here is what they said:

"Thanks for your query. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, a corkage fee will apply. Hope this helps!"

Sorry, that is not correct. Kids 'officially' must share a room with someone 21 or older. This is taken direct from the Royal Caribbean website and confirmed by my travel agent:

"No Guest younger than age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult of twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing".

If you are going to quote something, you need to quote the whole policy, not just the first part:

No Guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older, except for minors sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms, or for under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required). Carrier reserves the right to request proof of age at any time and Passenger's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

Gregg

s.gif

I thought it was two bottles per Cabin, not per person so I went to the UK website and they aren't really clear. It says guests are allowed two bottles. Doesn't say anything about per cabin. Guess we will have to wait for the official U.S. Release of the new policy.

Looks like they have updated it to match the Celebrity policy:

From 1st November 2012, guests are now allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne on board at embarkation, this is per stateroom, not per guest. These are for consumption in the stateroom. If a guest wishes to consume these in any dining venue or bar/lounge, there is a corkage fee of 25USD per bottle. No other drink than wine or champagne will be allowed.

Perfectly acceptable may be your opinion, totally classless is my opinion.

so you consider it classless to buy a glass at the Crown and Anchor before dinner and carry it into the dining room? really it amounts to the same thing.( we won't discuss bringing a glass out of the CL or DL as of course we all know that you aren;'supposed to do so regardless of what may or may not actually occur)

bringing what amounts to a full bottle in one glass? I agree.. tacky/tasteless. but a single glass? sorry, done it before, and will do it again.. and FTR.. to date.. all the glasses that I have so far brought into a MDR.. have been purchased.. by the glass.. on board at a bar just before entering said MDR.

happy days everyone.

yay for you!! here's hoping that it only takes a week or so for the new policy to filter down to everyone who needs to know.