Civitavecchia to Rome...getting through airport security

sissys

We are take windstar cruise in sept 2013 with disembarkation in Civitavecchia. We arrive at 7 am. We have tentatively booked a BA flight in Rome back to US at 11:15a. Is that pushing our luck to get on flight or should we book the next flight at noonish?

Any recommendations for driver to take 6 psgrs from ship to Rome?

Thanks!

There are MANY threads with recommendations for transport port to airport.

There are also many threads discussing your type of flight situation. It is going to be tight. Docking at 7 am doesn't mean getting off then. You will probably make it for your flight. If it is a direct flight to the US, security is tight and time consuming. However, I am going to assume a BA flight will go to London, not direct to the US. If it is somehow a direct flight (such as a codeshare), you won't be enjoying a relaxing trip to the airport. But you will probably make it.

There are MANY threads with recommendations for transport port to airport.

There are also many threads discussing your type of flight situation. It is going to be tight. Docking at 7 am doesn't mean getting off then. You will probably make it for your flight. If it is a direct flight to the US, security is tight and time consuming. However, I am going to assume a BA flight will go to London, not direct to the US. If it is somehow a direct flight (such as a codeshare), you won't be enjoying a relaxing trip to the airport. But you will probably make it.

Thanks for your input! Our flit goes thru London.

If you can be off the ship by 8 and have a service pick you up, it is very doable. Once on board, arrangements can be made for you to be one of the first off the ship.

The drive is about 45 minutes. The driver and car should be around 125 euros. (we have taken romeinlimo.com many times, highly recommended and regarded by cruise critic members). You can arrange with the service and even discuss the times it talkes to get you right to your terminal.

No one can tell you how long it will take once you get to the termnal at Leonardo Da Vinci airport (FCO). That airport is an enigma.

Really more than an hour from Civitavecchia to FCO, closer to 1 1/2 hours.

The only way you can do it is arrange for a private transport to pick you up and get off the ship first thing as soon as you can. Last summer we had an 11:50am flight and made it with about 45 min-50 to spare. When we were checking in there were those checking in for the 11:15am flight. I think they ended up making it but it was close. I can HIGHLY recommend Rome in Limo, that's who we used.

One advantage is since you are on BA you will likely check in and fly out of Terminal 3 and can avoid the extra time spent at Terminal 5 for the US carriers. We had to go through Terminal 5 first and then over to 3.

Problem is there are more issues than just security. We left the pier with a private driver about 6:30AM. When we got to the airport 50 minutes later, in the rain, the first line to check your bags and get a boarding pass was huge. And they had one guy working the window. Took us over 75 minutes. Then a line to see our passport and security screening. Another 45 minutes. Then you wait for a bus to take you to the terminal. Add another 25 minutes+/-. Then trying to find a computer screen telling us what gate to use. Then on to the gate. We had a 10:30AM Delta and made it. And then it left late. You just have to consider the risks of missing your flight and the odds of getting a seat later in the day.

45 mins to FCO? Wishful thinking. Allow an hour.

The A12 from Civitaveccia to FCO is an easy drive. We have made it in less than an hour a number of times.

You can ask the driver to drive like an American or like an Italian LOL. One takes an hour and a half and the other, well, gets you there in a hurry LOL.

To get from the port to the airport does take about 45 minutes. We allow for one hour for planning. I would arrive to the airport 2 1/2 hours before. That is not required but it can be a rather chaotic airport.

Sissys, to me all of this comes down to how much stress you can deal with. I don't like stress and worrying about making a flight. So, in my case I would not take a flight before Noon. Some will tell you that an 11:15 AM flight is doable and they may be right but I prefer a cushion. Why? Because the ship could get into port late, you may have trouble finding your luggage, the vehicle could break down. Things happen. When I sail I like to relax and for me worrying about whether or not I will make the flight adds unnecessary anxiety.

So, if this was me, I would not book it. But this is you. If you can deal with stress it might work for you.

I also don't advise people doing this because if things don't work out then I wouldn't want to have advised something that has some risk to it.

Keith

Archived