*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Unfortunately the Cloud 9 and Seven Hearts rooms are converting to Izumi. I expect space will be needed for both D Lounge and C Lounge "overflow" somewhere on the ship. Those used to be the best spot. I wonder if Xtapa will be the overflow or the Cosmopolitan Club. Every time I have cruised out of Galveston on Mariner there were LOTS of D and D+ on board, as there were on the Dec. 15 NOS cruise. That is why I am expecting the need for an overflow lounge.

"what makes a happy ship"????

From my point of view...

1. Onboard management (not the Captain and officers)..Hotel, F & B... they provide the leadership that sets the tone for the crew. If they are oppressive, then the natural human reaction is not positive.

2. Passengers: For years, any RCI ship out of Galveston has had the reputation of having smiling, happy passengers, few rude and obnoxious passengers and an attitude that we are all onboard to enjoy ourselves. Far fewer ill-mannered passengers than out of some ports (insert your choice here, I am not gonna start a fight).

Unfortunately the Cloud 9 and Seven Hearts rooms are converting to Izumi. I expect space will be needed for both D Lounge and C Lounge "overflow" somewhere on the ship. Those used to be the best spot. I wonder if Xtapa will be the overflow or the Cosmopolitan Club. Every time I have cruised out of Galveston on Mariner there were LOTS of D and D+ on board, as there were on the Dec. 15 NOS cruise. That is why I am expecting the need for an overflow lounge.

I agree, many times there is a need for an overflow lounge and we have experienced this on many cruises, especially on the Mariner. This was just the 1st time the over flow lounges weren't available to everyone. There were over 300 D, D+ and PC on board the week the Ixtapa Lounge was used and most of the time there may have been 8 people in the Lounge - where was everyone --the D+ and PC were all packed into Cloud Nine, Seven Hearts & CL. All they had to do was check cards and serve mixed drinks to those that were eligible in Ixtapa? The other concern was the fact that there was no concierge available to D. I too look forward to experiencing the Navigator in the future - have 2 cruises booked on her so far. We'll just get everyone trained...LOL and hopefully they will bring in the Freedom!!

I agree, many times there is a need for an overflow lounge and we have experienced this on many cruises, especially on the Mariner. This was just the 1st time the over flow lounges weren't available to everyone. There were over 300 D, D+ and PC on board the week the Ixtapa Lounge was used and most of the time there may have been 8 people in the Lounge - where was everyone --the D+ and PC were all packed into Cloud Nine, Seven Hearts & CL. All they had to do was check cards and serve mixed drinks to those that were eligible in Ixtapa? The other concern was the fact that there was no concierge available to D. I too look forward to experiencing the Navigator in the future - have 2 cruises booked on her so far. We'll just get everyone trained...LOL and hopefully they will bring in the Freedom!!

In November 2012 Mariner TA Rome to Galveston the entire floor of Viking

Was taken over by diamond and above.

Including cloud nine , diamond lounge and Viking every night .

And at times it was very very crowded and forget concierge lounge.

At times there were d+ and above were sitting on the floor.

In November 2013 navigator TA Rome to Galveston

cloud nine And concierge club was for D+ and above

And ixtapa was for D. Overflow as needed from cloud nine overflowed into

Cosmopolitan (Viking).

Good Morning everyone. Has anybody seen the Navigator come in this morning? I can't tell f she is behind Carnival. I thought the pier 23 cam would show her but ............not.

I am on her today...........just checking. :)

Good Morning everyone. Has anybody seen the Navigator come in this morning? I can't tell f she is behind Carnival. I thought the pier 23 cam would show her but ............not.

Choose the "Emerald" camera. She's docking now. Had not looked at ships from this view until someone here on CC mentioned it.

Check the "Emerald Cam" on the website. She is here :-D

Others have said the Navigator OTS seems less friendly than the Mariner, but I did not notice this on my Dec. 1 sailing. Of course, the friendliest is the "sanitize guy" in the entrance to the buffet a lunch.

But he said he is going back to a ship that departs from Italy.

I miss the classical music trio, such as the Three Seasons or Fleur de Tois that were on the Mariner. I think there have been some slight cutbacks in live music on RCI, but not like Carnival. The piano player did play some classical stuff. And he also played most evenings in the MDR, although the ship need to amplify his playing so we can all hear it.

Food was good. There were a couple of nice cookouts by the pool at lunch. And tacos in the buffet until around 4:30pm.

I'm concerned about putting cabins on deck 12 forward. Obviously that will shorten the jogging track and take away some deck chairs. I really like that quiet area technically on deck 13 forward -- the one you get to by taking the outside stairs near the forward deck 12 elevators. But it is quiet because it is unused, and "there's the rub."

With the new no smoking policy starting in January, maybe Derek Lewis will return to Galveston sailings. I hope so.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Yes there were issues in November on the ship with staff.:(

But after upgrades for a month in Nassau and a newer ship,

there should be better consistent services from consistent staff,

as the ship becomes more Americanized and Texanized.

Also with all the new facilities it becomes a new experience. :)

Others have said the Navigator OTS seems less friendly than the Mariner, but I did not notice this on my Dec. 1 sailing. Of course, the friendliest is the "sanitize guy" in the entrance to the buffet a lunch.

We LOVED the "sanitize" guy!! :D

I wish I had taken his picture. :(

We are on a free cruise out of Galveston

Over to Bolivar

today to a bd party

At restaurant to eat oysters oysters and more oysters. :D

We are on the bolivar ferry

A free Texas highways ferry in their highways system

OMG - y'all check out the prices for the Navigator for May 25th!! If we weren't cruising to Alaska at that time, I would so be booking!! I was looking at the Military discount, so don't know if it is the same without, but none the less a great deal!! With my discount, balcony $820+ JS $1100+, prices for 2 people.