Celebrity cruisers impressions of Silversea

elena7seas

We are considering a cruise on the Silver Whisper in the Baltic in September 2013.

We have not cruised on any of the luxury lines, and although I have read the website information on Silversea cruise line as well as some reviews, I feel as if I need more information before we book the cruise.

Could anyone who has sailed with Silversea comment on their experiences aboard one of their ships?

I would be most grateful, thanks.

We have been on Silver Seas twice. Both times a wonderful experience. The service was the best. We are very loyal to Celebrity but they are a mass market line. I really don`t think you can compare the two. Siver Seas is more than twice the money. We went to the Baltic in June on Azamara and we were so glad we went on a smaller ship. We docked right in town every stop we went to.

We are considering a cruise on the Silver Whisper in the Baltic in September 2013.

We have not cruised on any of the luxury lines, and although I have read the website information on Silversea cruise line as well as some reviews, I feel as if I need more information before we book the cruise.

Could anyone who has sailed with Silversea comment on their experiences aboard one of their ships?

Just returned from a cruise in a Celebrity suite on Constellation. Excellent experience but you are on a mid priced ship. We have travelled Silverseas. It is all inclusive. No one to sell you drink packages, soda or coffee packages. I like the last of sales pitches. It's small can go to ports the large ships cannnot. No lines no feeling of crowds. A more upscale experience. The show are on a much smaller scale. Less organized activities.

They really cannot fairly be compared. The Silver Whisper is only 28,000 ton and carries 328 passengers, therefore they can do a more personal cruise experience, they can offer special food off menu and do many things because they don't carry even 350 passengers. Plus, the cost of sailing on Silversea is way beyond what you'd pay for a comparable cruise on Celebrity. Look at it this way, how can you compare a ship that carries only 328 passengers and one of Celebrity's S Class ships that are 2800? It's just not possible.

Now if you were asking to compare Silversea with the likes of Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, all of which I've been fortunate to sail on more than once each, I would honestly say that, imho, Silversea would rank 4th of the luxury lines. I just felt their lack of truly great service and questionable food in the MDR put them behind the other three luxury lines.

We took a cruise on a high end luxury cruise line a couple of years ago. The good was very good, the ship was nice, the staff great. But we are really not drinkers. Not even much wine. So for us, the all you can drink did not mean much except for driving up the price. And I suspect it adds a lot. So we have a hard time seeing the value of paying a lot extra for something we don't want.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply. Even though the two lines are not directly comparable, the information that you have given has been helpful.

Surprisingly, when you consider all that is included on Silversea, and the extremely high cost of Celebrity Baltic cruises, Silversea is not totally out of line. The cost before taxes on Celebrity Eclipse 12-night cruise is almost $4600 USD per person in Concierge 2 class. On the Silver Whisper, a 10-night cruise is $6050, but that includes all beverages (except high end brands) and gratuities. Also, there is an OBC of $1000 per cabin. I am just beginning to research Silversea now, but from what I understand, all the cabins are `suites` with butler service, and there are no charges for the specialty restaurants. From my reckoning so far, that puts Silverseas in reach, as we do enjoy wine with dinner, a daily cocktail, capuccinos, etc. so the inclusivity would be of value to us.

We had a Baltic cruise booked in a C2 hump cabin on the Eclipse last summer for $3000 per person. The price jump of $1600 for a cruise that is 2 days shorter this year suddenly makes Silversea worth considering.

They really cannot fairly be compared. The Silver Whisper is only 28,000 ton and carries 328 passengers, therefore they can do a more personal cruise experience, they can offer special food off menu and do many things because they don't carry even 350 passengers. Plus, the cost of sailing on Silversea is way beyond what you'd pay for a comparable cruise on Celebrity. Look at it this way, how can you compare a ship that carries only 328 passengers and one of Celebrity's S Class ships that are 2800? It's just not possible.

Now if you were asking to compare Silversea with the likes of Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, all of which I've been fortunate to sail on more than once each, I would honestly say that, imho, Silversea would rank 4th of the luxury lines. I just felt their lack of truly great service and questionable food in the MDR put them behind the other three luxury lines.

Hi Kitty:

I am particularly interested in your ranking of Silversea as number 4 of the luxury lines. Can you comment a little further about the food in the MDR? What would you say about the MDR on Silversea vs. the MDR on Celebrity? We normally sail AquaClass on Celebrity but if travelling with Celebrity, would be travelling with friends who do not want to sail in Aquaclass.

Thanks for your help. :)

We have also sailed Regent and Crystal. I would say they rank about the same as Silver Seas. We enjoy wine with lunch and dinner. They will also bring you anything to drink or eat for room service. Our last cruise I picked up the phone at lunch for room service and they asked me if I would like a bottle of Champagne. Rather nice vintage. So the drink service makes up for a lot if that means anything to you.

The major thing to be taken into consideration: going from a mass market line to a "luxury" line you get something and you lose something.

You get more personal attention, better food, a smaller company and sometimes less usual ports.

You lose the experience of a resort ship. You lose space, amenities, variety of options. It's hard to believe at the first glance, but you also lose some privacy outside your cabin because "luxury" ships are quite small or even dwarfy.

You are in a tight space there nose to nose with the same people all the time.

Despite the worse space ratio resort ship provide more possibilities to "escape" even being "in the crowd".

Sorry! I'm confused! The Eclipse does 14 night Baltic sailings out of Southampton (not 12). Are you thinking of the Connie that does 12 night itineraries out of Amsterdam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Christine:

Yes, you are right. I was confusing the Eclipse with the Connie itineraries, as I am looking at all of them right now, and trying to assemble a comparison.

I am also looking at Oceania now, as they have some interesting itineraries and offers. However, it requires an Excel spreadsheet and a data array to compare the offers, apples to apples, and oranges to oranges :p. I haven't looked at Azamara yet, but I guess I will soon.

Sadly, it is the high price of the Celebrity fares that is causing me to look elsewhere.:(

We have sailed many of the luxury lines and also Celebrity and many other cruise lines.

It will be a different experience. The size of the ship will make it a much different experience as will some of the items that are included with the cruise fare.

If the Cruise Lines were land based Hotels, when it comes to Silversea and other luxury cruise lines think Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons whereas when I think Celebrity I think Hyatt. Then just think of the luxury lines as smaller size resort properties.

I would be sure that you take a look at the itineraries of other luxury lines as well including Crystal, Seabourn and Regent.

Keith

My new bride's only previous cruises were two times on Silverseas. We have done three Princess cruises together and she loves the fact that Princess is much less formal and they don't 'roll up the sidewalks' at 8:00pm. She went to the singles mixer on Silverseas and described it as 'one old geezer in a wheelchair' (no offense). We booked X for the next cruise because she wanted a room with a piano. Sounds strange to me but whatever makes her happy makes me happy... :)

Hi Kitty:

I am particularly interested in your ranking of Silversea as number 4 of the luxury lines. Can you comment a little further about the food in the MDR? What would you say about the MDR on Silversea vs. the MDR on Celebrity? We normally sail AquaClass on Celebrity but if travelling with Celebrity, would be travelling with friends who do not want to sail in Aquaclass.

Thanks for your help. :)

Hi Elena,

It's really difficult to quantify the differences in the MDR between the lines because it's really a matter of taste. But I would have to say that the "can do" attitude on lines like Seabourn and Crystal just wasn't there on Silversea. I will say that the lunch buffet on Silversea was the BEST of any line I've been on, but the MDR food was just OK, nothing that I would say "WOW" about.

Since I can't talk my sister into taking a luxury line (not enough to do on those ships at night because they really do seem to shut down early and entertainment options just aren't there because of the size of the ships) we dine in a specialty every night. After taking more than 25 cruises combined on the big four luxury lines, I can honestly say that dining in Muranos comes as close as possible to dining in any of the MDR's on the luxury ships. Seriously, that's my opinion as the service in Celebrity's specialties and their food is amazingly close to dining in the MDR of any of the luxury lines.

Hi Elena,

It's really difficult to quantify the differences in the MDR between the lines because it's really a matter of taste. But I would have to say that the "can do" attitude on lines like Seabourn and Crystal just wasn't there on Silversea. I will say that the lunch buffet on Silversea was the BEST of any line I've been on, but the MDR food was just OK, nothing that I would say "WOW" about.

Since I can't talk my sister into taking a luxury line (not enough to do on those ships at night because they really do seem to shut down early and entertainment options just aren't there because of the size of the ships) we dine in a specialty every night. After taking more than 25 cruises combined on the big four luxury lines, I can honestly say that dining in Muranos comes as close as possible to dining in any of the MDR's on the luxury ships. Seriously, that's my opinion as the service in Celebrity's specialties and their food is amazingly close to dining in the MDR of any of the luxury lines.

I've sailed Silversea 7 times, Seabourn 3, though the service on the smaller seabounr ships was better than silversea overall its a toss up. The food was wonderful on Silversea as it was on Seabourn. Also, La Terazza on Silversea is better than 2 on Seabourn (I have not sailed the newer Seabourn ships). The cabins and baths on the larger Silversea ships can't be beat. I also sail Celebrity and agree, the alternative restaurants are mostly on par with the lux lines. Once you add a drink package and most nights in an alternative restaurant on Celebrity and tips, I find its not much more for Silversea

If the Cruise Lines were land based Hotels, when it comes to Silversea and other luxury cruise lines think Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons whereas when I think Celebrity I think Hyatt. Then just think of the luxury lines as smaller size resort properties.

I wouldn't say that this is a good comparison.

Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons are not dwarfy hotels and unlike small "luxury" boats they don't lack resort amenities.

Resort Ship (Holland America)

27yztvm.jpg

Silversea

30iz703.jpg

Resort ship (Holland America)

hs9y07.jpg

Resort ship (Cunard)

713ebd.jpg

Silversea

2ltmud5.jpg

I have for years ars cruised luxury lines because of size and we loathe the resort ship with thousands and thousands of passengers.

We prefer Regent and lately Oceania. The thing about both we like is air fare and tips are included, there is open dining and no extra charges for any restauraunt. Only Oceania charges for liquor but all coffee, juice,soft drinks are included.

That to me is a happy compromise Sailing on non resort ships of 1200, outstanding food. Casual ellegant with no formal nights and a wonderful group of fellow passengers. We seldom go to shows or gambel and enjoy entertianing ourselves in enrichment with fellow passengers..

20% to 30% cheaper over all than a celeb ship and way more personal and relaxing.

For fun I compared a 10 day carribe on Celeb and a 10 day on Oceania

When all costs were added up Oceaina coas $318 pp and Celeb. $470pp

both in a veranda of equal size same month, same ports. The decision for me was clear.

The more inclusive lines actualy cost less at the end of the day.....Sounds crazy but my experience proved it more than correct. You payup front and know the final total before you setp on board... I like than rather than being husteled by waiters, and nickel dime extras at every turn.....that ADD UP and its amazing how it grows

I really appreciate everyone's replies, and also the photos.

We will be travelling as a group of 6, and as the itinerary is quite port-intensive, I think we will be fine with less nightlife and fewer entertainment opportunities.

I'm doing a careful apples-to-apples, oranges-to-oranges price comparision for Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Eclipse, Oceania Marina, HAL Eurodam and Silversea Whisper. While the higher prices for Celebrity in 2013 make Silversea's prices something that we would consider for this itinerary, I have to say, Hawaiidan, that I am not seeing the same results that you report, regarding comparative pricing. ;)

Thanks again, everyone, and if you have any more comments, I would love to hear them!

Unless the prices and ports are the same, it is unfair to try to compare Celebrity to either Silversea or Seabourn. They are all nice. Celebrity is a large mass market ship that does a good job in its class. However, it cannot compare in service to the other 2 lines. It would be fair to compare Celebrity to the other similar mass market lines like Princess, HAL, or Royal. Silversea and Seabourn would be nice to compare. Not everyone enjoys the same things on a cruise. Decide what features are important to you, and ask people specific questions. Asking to compare Celebrity to Silversea is like asking to compare hamburger to prime rib. I like them both.

Unless the prices and ports are the same, it is unfair to try to compare Celebrity to either Silversea or Seabourn. They are all nice. Celebrity is a large mass market ship that does a good job in its class. However, it cannot compare in service to the other 2 lines. It would be fair to compare Celebrity to the other similar mass market lines like Princess, HAL, or Royal. Silversea and Seabourn would be nice to compare. Not everyone enjoys the same things on a cruise. Decide what features are important to you, and ask people specific questions. Asking to compare Celebrity to Silversea is like asking to compare hamburger to prime rib. I like them both.

And, god rest my brothers soul, we used to argue over the mass market suites, that I like.......which are 500 to over 1000 square feet, to Crystals 285 square feet suite............for the same price.

He has been gone for some years now, and my DW and I still just cruise the mass market lines, because we feel, for the money, that we are getting a great deal.

Now........it's time to try Oceana, as Frank D did many people in when he bankrupted Renaissance and left people stranded. We loved Renaissance, and now it's time to try a suite on one of the newer ships.

I'm hearing great things about Oceania, and I don't need to cruise on Crystal.

So, sometime in 2013, we shall try one of the new Oceania ships!!:D

Rick

I wasn't looking for "comparability" per se, but for personal comments about actual experiences that people have had on Silversea. This will help me to decide whether paying extra for Silversea will provide us with experiences that we will value.

I thank everyone who has shared their experiences. It has been very helpful.

Azamara gives you the same "small ship" feel, docks in town, you get your Celebrity status, and friends who have done both say food better and service more sincere on Azamara. Ships being refurbed , and next year they are pretty much all inclusive too

I've looked at Azamara because Ive liked Regent. Azamara still sails the two old ships that they purchased from Renaissance ( circa 1990's ). Seaborne, Silverseas and Oceania sail newer ships.

I'd be interested in Azamara when they build a new ship.

Azamara gives you the same "small ship" feel, docks in town, you get your Celebrity status, and friends who have done both say food better and service more sincere on Azamara. Ships being refurbed , and next year they are pretty much all inclusive too

How do they handle the Elite perks on Azamara? (I shudder to use the E-word). ;)

Archived