Need Advice...book now or take a chance on last minute reservation?

Brittasbay

Hello all!

I need some CC feedback to figure out what to do. I really want to book a cruise for April 2013 for my 40th birthday. We don't want to fly to a port or drive more than 8 hours or so and that leaves us the following ports: New Orleans, Jacksonville, Tampa, Pt Canaveral, or Charleston as we live in Atlanta. We have been on the Fascination 3 times in the past 3 years and I don't want to go to the Bahamas again for a short cruise. We have picked the shorter sail times based on DH's current job. He is looking for a new career path now and should be able to take a 7 day cruise, even with a new job.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fascination but after sailing on Liberty in January 2012 (DH did not go, I went on a cruise where I could get education credits for my job), I want a bigger, newer ship to be on. Especially if the ship has the 2.0 upgrades that I LOVED on Liberty! I want DH to really relax on a 7 day cruise like I was able to do ;):D:cool:

So here is my conundrum.....should I book a cruise now and lock in ES for the possible OBC or wait until right before the cruise leaves and try to do pack and go? An important thing here is that we MUST have a balcony as both of us are smokers (please no trolling on this, we are respectful of our neighbors on the ship and don't smoke if they are outside and are nonsmokers) :o

What should we do? Book now and risk having to cancel and lose our deposit with ES if DH cannot go due to his current job or having a new job? Or should we risk if and try to book at the last minute?

Thanks for the feedback!

I vote book early save lido balcony on the dream! Most you are out if you cancel in time is 100 bucks and the rest goes to a future cruise. Of course depending on spring break April can be expensive. Then just have to decide east or west?

If there is the risk you cannot go, I would look at booking either past guest rate or even see if you qualify for resident rate before booking the very restrictive ES. I just did a "mock booking" for the Dream on 4-13-13(random April date I chose), and they currently have the sail from FL rate(for Georgia residents) at only $20 more than ES. Remember, all rates can get price drops up until final payment date. After final payment, only ES will.

Waiting for a pack and go when you really want to go at a certain time is too risky IMO.

My preference would be to do a western itinerary. I will look at resident rates as an option as well, thanks for the idea. I just don't want to lose a ton of money if DH can't go due to work. I just really want to be on a cruise ship soon!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

I've seem some great last min deals in April for 7 night cruises, but its usually @ Miami port. which is more than your driving limit. So, I say book now and like pp said look for past guest rate since you're concerned about losing $ with ES.

Based on your preferences your choices are either the Dream or Conquest. If I remember correctly the Legend will be leaving Tampa in April for summer sailings. If you want to go to Jamaica or like an extra sea day, pick Conquest--only has 3 ports. Didn't the Conquest just receive the 2.0 upgrades? I would pick the Dream, which stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya.

Either way, I hope you have an awesome birthday @ sea!

I would book the ES rate and watch for all price drops. I believe you can get travel insurance that has a provision for work related changes. I haven't done this myself but I think I read about it. Someone on here must have more information about that. Have fun!

My preference would be to do a western itinerary. I will look at resident rates as an option as well, thanks for the idea. I just don't want to lose a ton of money if DH can't go due to work. I just really want to be on a cruise ship soon!

then early saver is NOT the way you want to book.

Unless you are in a positition to not care about any monies lost (cost of insurance, loss of deposit, only get a percentage back if you cancel, etc.) I would throw the dice and just book late. If the stress of all the what-ifs get to you then just book late. So you don't get a booking come spring or the ultimate cabin of your dreams its not the end of the world. Maybe with all the variables you should just consider another type of vacation for your birthday and cruise later when everything is more stable.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

If you think you would have to cancel I would not book ES. If you watch for sales, sometimes they good deals on past guest rates with upgrades. At the time we booked it was actually cheaper for our cabin to use past guest rather than ES because of the upgrades. I don't know that I would wait for pack n go, they don't always run that deal.

If you are looking for a 7 day, Conquest is out of NOLA and just got 2.0 upgrades. I believe that she is the same class as Liberty.

If you think you would have to cancel I would not book ES. If you watch for sales, sometimes they good deals on past guest rates with upgrades. At the time we booked it was actually cheaper for our cabin to use past guest rather than ES because of the upgrades. I don't know that I would wait for pack n go, they don't always run that deal.

If you are looking for a 7 day, Conquest is out of NOLA and just got 2.0 upgrades. I believe that she is the same class as Liberty.

I ended up spending more than I wanted to on our last cruise as I booked it as past guest versus ES. Of course with that cruise we knew that we would not have to cancel so ES would have been a better pick.

I guess I need to just watch rates and see what DH does about his job situation. I appreciate everyone's feedback, it has made me realize I need to sit back and really think about what to do. I have also realized that I am partial to trying Conquest so maybe we should wait until our regular cruising time which is August or September and go on that ship.

I have never sailed in April, but I can tell you that we never book more than 6 weeks out and I have gotten some fabulous prices even when we had to sail a specific week. If you book later just keep watching the prices, there are almost always some awesome Georgia resident rates. We booked our Thanksgiving cruise via the resident rate just a few weeks ago and got an awesome price for a peak holiday week and still got a great balcony cabin as well.

Whatever you do, just don't book early saver at this point. Keep your eyes on the prices so you know what is a good deal and what isn't. Sometimes that is the key. I booked early saver once and never had a price drop. However, I booked at a time when the price was rock bottom anyway.

Usually I book through a past guest rate, frequently after early saver has disappeared. I watch the prices until I see them where I want them.

Why not book a past guest rate for your regular sail months of either August or September for Conquest and change to ES before it goes away. And, depending on how DH's job situation goes, maybe book a last minute P & G for your 40th and to celebrate his possible new job. That way, you'll possibly get two cruises in next year.

WE Have been on,more than a few cruises,and i think you should book now,and get balcony you want,and watch for the price drops,you will be much better off than,looking for any available balconies that are or not left,much better this way,,and the piece of mind and the anticipation,looking at your rooom layout everyyy day:)))))have fun:p;)

Why not book a past guest rate for your regular sail months of either August or September for Conquest and change to ES before it goes away. And, depending on how DH's job situation goes, maybe book a last minute P & G for your 40th and to celebrate his possible new job. That way, you'll possibly get two cruises in next year.

I LOVE the way you think! I had considered doing this but though DH would have a stroke if I did. I may just have to do this, LOL! :D

There's a site that we're not allowed to link to that helps cruisers fish for cruise prices/price drops, that lists the prices by category and ship, so you can get a better idea of pricing.

We would have saved $20 total to book ES, but we would have lost all of our group amenities. In the last 8 months, the price has dropped below what we paid on all of three sailings, and those were in hurricane season for the Southern Caribbean, and it still wasn't more than $100.

We're past final payment, and the price just "dropped" to $100 more than we paid from $150 more than we did. I'm kind of left with the impression that ES only works if you didn't get a great deal on the cruise to start with.

Archived