Disembarkation-when to use cell phone

Megan07

I'm sailing on my first cruise in a month and I had a question. I realize the ship returns very early in the morning to port canaveral, but when would it be safe to power on my cell phone and not deal with astronomical fees?

As soon as the ship is at the dock, it turns off its own cell tower. You will be on a real land-based cell tower.

:)

Thanks for the replies. Do you know when I should have it powered off by when the cruise begins?

You usually have to pass beyond the shoreline several miles before the ship's cell tower is turned on, but if you turn it off at sail away, you should be fine.

I'm sailing on my first cruise in a month and I had a question. I realize the ship returns very early in the morning to port canaveral, but when would it be safe to power on my cell phone and not deal with astronomical fees?

When it does not say cellular at sea or what ever your carrier has, but you will have to turn it on to see:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. Do you know when I should have it powered off by when the cruise begins?

I turn mine off right after I've called the Office....to let them know I am having a Drink of the Day & Lunch in the Windjammer...:D

I usually leave my phone on until we pull away, then I set it to airplane mode so I can still have the time and use the camera. Depending on your phone, if you set your data "off when roaming" and don't answer the phone, the only thing that might get you is an incoming text message.

Isn't half the joy of a cruise just disconnecting from the outside world? If you are so worked up about turning your phone off as late as possible and on as soon as possible why are you even cruising?
:eek:

Some people like to call their family or friends as they sail off..or when they get back..

Isn't half the joy of a cruise just disconnecting from the outside world? If you are so worked up about turning your phone off as late as possible and on as soon as possible why are you even cruising?

Cruising is different things to different people. They may not want to cut off from the outside world.

"Why are you even cruising" - I assume they're cruising to enjoy the type of vacation experience they want to make it. Obviously not the same as you think it should be, but they have a right to choose what and how they want to vacation without being flamed.

If we were all the same the world would be a boring place !!!!!

As a mom of four boys who are staying behind with relatives. I am very thankful for this post. Now I know when I can call me children and check in for the last time. And I am, personally, cruising to get away on a romantic vacation with my husband.... BUT.... my kids are very important to me and I don't want them to be overly stressed with the long term disconnect that being at sea will bring between us. Thank you OP for bringing this up.

:eek:

Some people like to call their family or friends as they sail off..or when they get back..

That is the reason. This is my first cruise ever. I wanted to call my boyfriend at sailaway and see if he could see me on the webcam! My phone will be off the remainder of the trip!

My experience out of PC has been you have an hour or so from sail away. Keep an eye out on the bars if you have an inside cabin or are in the promenade for a bit as I have killed my phone on sail away days because of it trying to get coverage while "inside."

Archived