Ladies need your opinion on matching shoes to dress!

Beezle82

I already have these shoes that I am planning on wearing for formal night (sorry for the links, I can't get the actual photos to show up):

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=125460050&productId=72266&lotId=125460&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I just bought this dress in purple and am planning on wearing the shoes & dress together:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1139299/speechless-handkerchief-dress-juniors-plus.jsp

What do you think of the red & purple together?? I wasn't so sure, so I Googled some images of women wearing red shoes with purple dresses and actually I like the look.

Should I go for it, or just stick to plain black heels? I have some that I could wear, but I don't really want to!

Love the dress. Please forgive me...I do not care for the shoes. Mary Janes should really not be worn unless you have super long, skinny legs. The strap cuts you off at the ankle. Really not flattering. Do you have a second option? This is just my opinion.

I appreciate your opinion! I understand that many probably will not care for the shoes - they are definitely unusual but I love them. :)

I'll take your comment on the strap into consideration, though. I have only worn the shoes once and that was with long jeans, so you couldn't really see the strap. I'll have to be sure to try them on with the dress first!

My other option is just some plain black pumps. Pretty basic.

With such a statement shoe, I think you should go with a very plain dress. I think those should only be worn with black or perhaps a khaki or grey.

Another big problem is that the formality of the shoe doesn't match the dress. Those aren't formal shoes - I could see you pairing those with black skinny pants, nice jeans (if you're on a cruiseline that allows jeans), or perhaps a black pencil skirt for a casual night.

The dress you've purchased should really be worn with a more formal black or metallic shoe... possibly a strappy heel or stiletto. Something sleeker and more formal. And I'd suggest a slight heel - ballet flats aren't very flattering with dresses that fall below the knee. I'm not sure about the black pump... it might be too chunky for a dress that length. I'd want to see it on.

The dress you've purchased should really be worn with a more formal black or metallic shoe... possibly a strappy heel or stiletto. Something sleeker and more formal.

The more I think about it, I think I agree with you on this one. I'm going to have to try the two of them on together to make the final call, I think.

I guess I should also clarify that my plain black heels actually ARE stiletto's. They are not very high though - they have a pretty modest heel on them.

I absolutely love both the dress and the shoes but...not together. I know color-blocking is in this year but (and maybe it's just the lighting in the different photos so I'd want to see them together "in person" to be sure) the shades of purple and red seem to me to clash. The purple looks like kind of a dusty, muted shade and the red is very clear and bright.

But as always, if it makes you feel great to wear them, and they look good to you--go for it! If you feel great, you will carry yourself well and will look fine. :)

I absolutely love both the dress and the shoes but...not together. I know color-blocking is in this year but (and maybe it's just the lighting in the different photos so I'd want to see them together "in person" to be sure) the shades of purple and red seem to me to clash. The purple looks like kind of a dusty, muted shade and the red is very clear and bright.

But as always, if it makes you feel great to wear them, and they look good to you--go for it! If you feel great, you will carry yourself well and will look fine. :)

I agree!:D I think the dress is perfect for formal night but the shoes, which could be very cute with something else, are not a good choice for this dress. The right black would be ok, but I a think a metallic shoe could be really good!

Sherri:)

Funny - I was JUST looking at these!!

They are pretty but I'm really not a fan of the plastic-y looking jewels on them.

Not my style either, but everyone was suggesting silver. Personally, I would stick with black....BUT...since you are on that website, did you see the Vera Wang Plum/red snakeskins?

Not my style either, but everyone was suggesting silver. Personally, I would stick with black....BUT...since you are on that website, did you see the Vera Wang Plum/red snakeskins?

I didn't notice them, but I do see them now. Not sure I'm a huge fan of those either, though.

I very much appreciate your suggestions though! This is kind of fun :)

Like others, I love the dress and the shoes but not together. The just aren't the same flavor! The dress is delicate and formal, and the shoes are more casual and funky. I actually like the silver sandals, even with the "gems". I think a silver metallic would set that dress off perfectly. Black might be a bit dull, depending on the finish.

Oooh these are pretty! Looks like these have a little 'jewel' on them too, but it's not so bad on these.

I actually just remembered as I was eating lunch that I may or may not have a pair of strappy silver sparkly(ish) heels that would be perfect. I've had them for a long time, I just never ever wear them so I totally forgot about them!

Now here's to hoping that I actually DO still have them somewhere.....

Your dress is very pretty and I think a silver sandal would offset the dress nicely.

JCPenney has some cute shoes, here's one that would look very nice with your dress. While you're on the site, check some of the other shoes out as well. :)

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//shoes/jacqueline-ferrar-blair-high-heel-sandals/prod.jump?ppId=1d1bf93&searchTerm=silver+shoes&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults

Your dress is very pretty and I think a silver sandal would offset the dress nicely.

JCPenney has some cute shoes, here's one that would look very nice with your dress. While you're on the site, check some of the other shoes out as well. :)

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//shoes/jacqueline-ferrar-blair-high-heel-sandals/prod.jump?ppId=1d1bf93&searchTerm=silver+shoes&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults

I have a similar pair (no back strap) that I wear with everything. If you don't have strappy silver shoes you might want to invest in a pair. Silver or gold would look good with that dress you picked out.

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! :)

As per your recommendations, I'm now leaning towards a sliver or sort of champagne colored strappy sandal. And of course, I can't find the silver ones I used to have that I mentioned earlier that would've been perfect. :( I must've gotten rid of them.

Have I mentioned that I don't even actually HAVE the dress yet? Heh. It will be delivered on Monday. Suppose I should probably make sure it fits and I like it before I go buying shoes for it! Yeah, I'm doing this all backwards. ;)

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! :)

As per your recommendations, I'm now leaning towards a sliver or sort of champagne colored strappy sandal. And of course, I can't find the silver ones I used to have that I mentioned earlier that would've been perfect. :( I must've gotten rid of them.

Have I mentioned that I don't even actually HAVE the dress yet? Heh. It will be delivered on Monday. Suppose I should probably make sure it fits and I like it before I go buying shoes for it! Yeah, I'm doing this all backwards. ;)

In my opinion silver shoes would work the best with the color of your dress. Once you do get the dress delivered, it would be a good idea to take the dress with you if you're not buying shoes online. That way if you see a shoe you like you can see if it works with the dress before buying it. :)

Pretty much my only option at this point is to buy the shoes at a store rather than order them. We sail on the 26th! EEK! And with the holiday coming up, I wouldn't dare order them and take the chance of them not arriving on time.

Ordinarily I would have had this all settled a long time ago. I THOUGHT I knew what I wanted to wear, but after looking through a ton of pics I decided I wanted to go more formal. :)

I like both your dress and shoes, but just like others, the moment I saw them together, I thought the shoes were too casual. The shoes look great for a business suit or pantsuit.

Absolutely wait until your dress gets to you before buying shoes. What would you do if the dress doesn't fit or you don't like the style on your body after all?

This is the exact reason I've pretty much given up shopping online, you can't see the exact color, you don't know if the item fits for almost a week, you have to hassle sending it back if it's not right. Then add in shipping costs, sometimes both ways. Shopping in person you know immediately you have made the right purchase. Add to the fact you're helping to keep some of the local people employed, it's a win/win for all.

Another plus shopping in person is that when I've found the perfect dress I can go downstairs to the shoe section, or out the door a few stores down (assuming I'm in a mall). I do realize that's not an option for everyone, some people don't live close to shopping.

The last thing I'd purchase online is a pair of shoes. I'll have the salesperson bring out 2-3 pair of the same shoe, each one can be slightly different. I have a rather hard to fit foot and if a shoe doesn't fit well from the get-go, I won't wear them...ever. I've learned that lesson so many times filling the Goodwill bag. Nicer shoes are definitely worth the extra expense.

I like both your dress and shoes, but just like others, the moment I saw them together, I thought the shoes were too casual. The shoes look great for a business suit or pantsuit.

Absolutely wait until your dress gets to you before buying shoes. What would you do if the dress doesn't fit or you don't like the style on your body after all?

This is the exact reason I've pretty much given up shopping online, you can't see the exact color, you don't know if the item fits for almost a week, you have to hassle sending it back if it's not right. Then add in shipping costs, sometimes both ways. Shopping in person you know immediately you have made the right purchase. Add to the fact you're helping to keep some of the local people employed, it's a win/win for all.

Another plus shopping in person is that when I've found the perfect dress I can go downstairs to the shoe section, or out the door a few stores down (assuming I'm in a mall). I do realize that's not an option for everyone, some people don't live close to shopping.

The last thing I'd purchase online is a pair of shoes. I'll have the salesperson bring out 2-3 pair of the same shoe, each one can be slightly different. I have a rather hard to fit foot and if a shoe doesn't fit well from the get-go, I won't wear them...ever. I've learned that lesson so many times filling the Goodwill bag. Nicer shoes are definitely worth the extra expense.

I agree - with everything! ;)

I actually do a lot of clothing shopping online and 90% of the time I'm really happy when I finally get to try it on. I don't think I've ever bought a dress online though, so I'm a little nervous. I hope it fits because I really want to wear it!! But if not, I'll just stick to my previous plan/outfit. Which will work just fine but I kind of have my heart set on this dress now. :)

The only thing I never buy online is jeans. I have a hard enough time finding jeans in the store!

Archived