Warning: Use insect repelent

tximprov

I intend on going back to belize and it not happening to me again. Also....I hope enough people got to see the warning before the thread was moved:rolleyes:

As said before, I will use repellent more liberaly, but it will not keep me from traveling.

I hope folks got an insight on what the ailment could be if they got back from a trip and something like this begins. I had no idea. I doubt many others will see this anymore as it has been moved to the ask a question section. oh well. another reason i dont come here as often.

I guess if i started a topic about tipping or smuggling it would still be on the front page. SO much for sharing actual useful information. :confused:

I intend on going back to belize and it not happening to me again. Also....I hope enough people got to see the warning before the thread was moved:rolleyes:

Just curious, where did you originally post it?

I think the ask a cruise question threads get a lot of readers and activity.

It has over 1,200 views so far.

I posted it on the main CCL page.....i have never once looked at the ask a question page. I have always read the main page or ports of call page. It may have over 1200 views so far but many people have more posts than that...Not to mention I wasnt asking a question.....I was simply trying to inform. For fun, i bet if you started another thread about smoking on a balcony, it would be there for months. Just saying...lol

I now see what your talking aobut number of views....im wondering how many of those came before it was moved?

I now see what your talking aobut number of views....im wondering how many of those came before it was moved?

I would have never seen it on the CCL page, because we did this itinerary on NCL ;). I posted after it was moved to the ask a cruise question forum.

FWIW this forum is quite interesting, there is always a good variety of topics being discussed!

OMG... Thank you for sharing.

Seriously... Thanks to your post, I now have a way to convince my husband that insect repellant is something he needs to wear. I believe the threat of maggots in ones scalp out weighs his hatred of the chemicals.

I have seen this on t.v before and I do work in an emergency room, so since I travel a lot, I always think about this happening. Then when we get a bite, I always freak out. :eek: I know that when people come in with certain complaints/infections one of the first things a Nurse ask is "have you traveled outside of the US within the last 30 days?". :o

We are traveling to both Belize and Roatan at the end of next month. I had never thought to spray a hat with repellent, but we'll be doing just that!

You can purchase hats and other clothing pretreated:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoor-research-sentinel-bucket-hat-upf-30-insect-shield-for-men-and-women~p~4089j/?filterString=insect&colorFamily=05

I read this thread to DH since this trip is in our near future. I always pack the small (Tide Pen size) bug spray, he went out in our camping gear and brought back a large can, said to make sure I pack it. I never thought about spraying his hat with it but will be doing that. Just thinking that I should be able to pick out CC members from their cologne of Deep Woods Off while waiting for the tender! LOL Thanks for the heads up on the bugs!

I think that there is a misconception that the maggots can happen JUST on ones scalp but that is not true. I know somebody who was ziplining in Costa Rica,got bitten by mosquito on the back of his knee,and weeks later he had the same problem as OP. Went to a doctor who cut his skin open and said "there is something LOOKING at me",and removed a maggot:eek:.

As many of you said-it is just a freak accident....but good bug repellent sure should help.

Thank you so much for that info. My sister has a severe allergy to topical alcohol and so can't use spray-on bug sprays. We will be in some of those ports on our cruise next year and I KNOW she hasn't thought of bug repellent as I hadn't either. That hat will protect her head. I just ordered it for her for Christmas. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for that info. My sister has a severe allergy to topical alcohol and so can't use spray-on bug sprays. We will be in some of those ports on our cruise next year and I KNOW she hasn't thought of bug repellent as I hadn't either. That hat will protect her head. I just ordered it for her for Christmas. Thanks again.

You're welcome! I have treated pants and shirt too... You can also purchase permethrin to treat your own clothing and luggage. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B007VCRX2S and other places.

Hope your sister has other forms of insect repellent that work for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Skin so soft lotion by avon is good if you dont like alot of chemicals. I used the skin so soft repellent everywhere but my head and got bit nowhere but my head. The poster above who said you can get this anywhere on your body is absolutly correct. I think i got bit on the head because I had repellent everywhere else.

thx for sharing your experience. I think that because we are traveling on board with so much comfort that we forget that the ports that we visit have different dangers than what we are accustomed to. My 22 yo neighbor went on the Freedom at the end of October. About a week after her return she started feeling a bit under the weather. Two weeks ago she felt so bad her mother took her to the ER. They diagnosed a bad flu and sent her home. 24 hours later she was having trouble breathing so they went back to the ER. While there she coughed up copious amounts of blood. She was admitted and so began over a week of hellish testing to find out what was wrong. She had a spinal tap that was negative. By the next night she was in ICU on a respirator. A day later she was helicoptered to a major medical center an hour away. We truly were frightened that she wasn't going to survive. Seven days after being admitted' date=' they finally identified the bacteria Leptospirosis. The doctors think she may have gotten it when she went on an excursion in grand cayman - swimming with turtles. Once they identified the bacteria, they could give the correct antibiotic and within 2 days she was off the respirator and even the oxygen. The good news is she came home late last night. She has a long road before she's fully healed, but the worse is over. Thank God![/quote']

Thankful to hear the young woman will recover.

Appreciate all of your sharing these experiences as it re-enforces, IMO, the important of telling our doctors we have been traveling and where we have been if we become ill. Diseases they would not think of without knowing we could have been exposed to insects and disease particular to that region. It well could direct their attention in different direction if they have that knowledge.

Archived