Live aboard the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam with ASIWISH!

ASIWISH

Monday Morning (at sea)

Latitude: 22˚ 13.19’N Longitude 077˚ 34.36’ W

(Translation: Somewhere near heaven, I think)

Speed: 17.9 knots

Course: 129˚

Sunrise: 06:34 ship’s time

Sunset: 17:25 ship’s time

77˚ - Partly Cloudy

Wind: 46 MPH

Ship’s Captain: Edward Van Zaane

Tonight’s Dress: Smart Casual (but, most all were dressed in nice slacks, shirts, coats, and casual dresses for the ladies – very nice)

Showroom of the Sea: Listen to the Music (I think the entire ship attended this show. Because it was the first night, there was only one show – at 10:00pm

Queen’s Lounge: Showstorm Trivia with DJ Jazzy

Piano Bar: Michael Sara

Good morning, Friends!

Well, yesterday was fun as we saw most of Ft. Lauderdale driving around to various pharmacies to pick up prescriptions for the Turtles. Did anyone else now that there are 27 Walgreen’s Pharmacies in Broward County??? I would have suggested just bringing the prescriptions down from Chicago, but based on the sheer volume of pills I think they were afraid of exceeding the 50ln luggage limit for checked bags on American Airlines. As frustrating as it was, I did somewhat enjoy driving around south Florida in an expensive foreign rental car with three gorgeous women, and a truck full of prescription medication – I felt like every drug dealer I ever saw in the movies!!!! Every time we saw a police car we yelled, “COP!!!!!”…. such fun!

After gathering our “meds”, and sending our last minute faxes (Seriously, Mom???), we gathered out 10 pieces of luggage, and met in the hotel lobby and waiting for our free shuttle to the cruiseport. Upon entering, I had visions of the Lido Buffet, as there were at least 100 people waiting for shuttles. We decided that we wouldn’t get frustrated, but rather treat it as “training” for the cruise ahead of us!

Unfortunately, free usually comes with a price and the shuttles were an hour behind schedule.

After waiting about 30-minutes, we decided to take a taxi… Hey, if I’m going to broke taking my Mom and Aunt on a cruise, I might as well get it over with, right? So when a taxi (van) approached the hotel, I unbuttoned a few of my top shirt buttons and negotiated a fare to the cruiseport. I realized shortly afterwards, that it might have been more effective to have Nancy unbutton a few buttons, but now I know…

The cab driver offered a $20 fare, and we grabbed it! And after a quick 10-minute cab ride, we were waiting in line at the terminal (26)… eyeing my case of expensive wine being handled by the handlers, praying it makes it on the ship unbroken . Happily, it did…

We waited in line for about 30-minutes, and the four of us jumped on the escalator towards our beloved MS Nieuw Amsterdam. (actually, two of us “jumped” on the escalator… the two Turtles spend five minutes talking the sweet cruiseport employee in the red jacket at the bottom of the escalators… another new best friend…)

Once on the ship, we checked out our rooms, firmed up our dinner reservations, dripped our wine off for dinner, and met in the Family Cabana to agree on a plan of attack for the rest of the day. After 5-minutes in cabana, my Aunt proclaimed, “I haven’t been this relaxed in 25 years…” I think that by Wednesday I’ll have to scrape her off the floor, like a big glob a jello… (I am thrilled she is having such a great time – and it’s only been 24-hours!

Cabana-M.jpg

The Lido was marginally crowded, and the food was delightful…. Yes, I said “delightful”. We took our time, and went back the Retreat Cabanas until 4:00 before the Mustard Drill. I know it’s called the Mandatory Passenger Drill, but I loved it when the kids used to call it the “Mustard Drill”… can’t help myself.

The drill went off without a hitch, and immediately afterwards we ran upstairs to hang our banner for Sailaway! We had a banner made for the Turtles, and lucky 3x5 was the perfect size. I brought four zip-ties from Home Depot, and that secured it perfectly to the railing, so we would still be able to hold our Champaign… Thank God!

The Turtles got lost on the way to our room, forgetting the room number 8082. So they ran (run being a relative term) to every cabin that had an “8”, a “0”, or a “2” in it…. 2080, 8820, 8002, etc… you get the point. Thankfully, they decided with minutes to spare to head to the front desk. So my Mom jumped on my Aunts shoulders so they could see over the front desk and asked them to call us on the phone.

They arrived just in time, and we waved like crazy at the kids, grandkids, and my CC Friends! Hope you saw us! For those that asked, the NA won the tooting contest, but with a relatively weak seven toots…

When we finished out bottle, we dressed for dinner and met in the Ocean Bar to listen to Lynn and the HALCats…. They were wonderful! To my pleasant surprise, we have some wonderful passenger dancers aboard. They delighted us to some beautiful steps to Can I Have This Dance – which put my in the perfect mood for this cruise.

Adi, as promised, arranged for a beautiful table on the glass for the Turtles and I… and it seemed every employee in the place came over to welcome us and make sure we were happy… we were. Sitting next to us a table for two, for the week maybe, are two big shots from Seattle. They are food and beverage guys who manage the menu… so, my guess if the service in our area of the restaurant will be impeccable…. Or not…. Who cares, right?

Tonight’s featured Chef Council Chef is Jonnie Boer, a very famous chef at De Librije in Zwolle – recognized as one the “50 best restaurants in the world”. It is only the second restaurant in the Netherlands to be awarded three stars. His dishes were Cocktail of Bay Shrimp on top of a champagne mousse with sliced cornichons. We all ordered it, and loved it. His entrée was Barramundi with Coconut-Lemongrass Reduction. It’s a sweet and mild fish, served with small florets of broccoli on Israeli couscous. Nancy got it, and loved it so much that she announced she was naming our next child “Barramundi”! That made me very happy, because we had planned to name our next child “Caesar Salad”… You think she would have learned after our two present children have been teased relentlessly over their names… poor, poor little “McRib” and “Hot Fudge Sundae”.

Anyway, I ordered the Grilled Coho Salmon and the Turtles both ordered the Prime Rib of Beef au Jus. As I understand it, it was” au Perfect”. Somehow we all managed to find room for dessert (“two hot fudge sundaes – or as we call them “daughters” in our house, and two Viennese Apple Strudels for the Turtles, please). And tow my disappointment we paid a small sum for a couple lattes… I miss them being free, but I move on.

After a quick stroll, we left the Turtles to enjoy the Art Gallery and we headed off to bed. As we sat on the verandah, for the first time we noticed a distinct smell of smoke from the smoke stacks… not terribly pleasant, but I assume it was only because of the wind. While it bothered Nancy, it was kind of a nice reminder of home for me… when I closed my eyes and smelled the smoke, I could quietly and softly hear Nancy saying, “Dinners ready”.

At 11:00 on the nose, we quickly and silently closed our eyes… surely to sweet dreams aboard the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amstedam…

Have a wonderful day, because I know I will….

Reporting in that the fire alarm just went off, and the loudspeakers informed us that the is a problem in a cabin on the 7th deck....

They asked us not to go on or near the deck, they didn't seem too alarmed.

Going back to my nap, now...

I'll report later.

The Caprain informs us that the "fire" is contained and under control. It was a short in the electric system of the air conditioning...

... Thank goodness. I thought that maybe Nancy was taking a Kitchen Tour!

Wow... sounds like you're having a great time already!

I had the Barramundi last week on the Noordam. Chef Barelmann serves it grilled with Ancho Chili Sauce, ginger scented rice pilaf and sauteed carrots and sugar snap peas. It was easily the best entree of the cruise. My butcher never heard of it.

Enjoying your report... keep 'em comin'!

This is just a quick report, before Ship Maintenance gets here to help me take off my cumber bun...

Rough seas are prohibiting our stop at Turks and Caicos tomorrow... Another sea day in the cabana will be nice, though...

... That will also allow maintainable more time to get this damned thing off me!!!!

Sweet dream from the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam....

Monday Morning (at sea)

Latitude: 22˚ 13.19’N Longitude 077˚ 34.36’ W

(Translation: Somewhere near heaven, I think)

Cabana-M.jpg

Thanks for the marvelous travelogue. Would love to see a picture of the "Cumberbund Extrication Crew" and their many exploits. I'm picturing the Hotel Manager arriving for this one with a small legion at her back to snip it off, then sew it back together in time for the next formal! Hope you're having a good time on this extra sea day.

Tuesday Morning (at sea)

Weather: Partly cloudy, 77˚.

Tonight’s dress: Formal

Showroom by the Sea: Cantarė – The Power of Voice, and the Captain’s Toast.

Queen’s Lounge: Showstorm Trivia

Well, the day started as you might have expected… with a beautiful breakfast in the Manhattan Dining Room, followed by a lot of “I can’t believe we’re here” ‘s… Service was good, but like many first days at sea, the crew appeared tired but welcoming. Breakfast was quick and hot – except the toast, as usual. Does anyone have a tip for getting fresh, hot toast? It’s always such a disappointment.

The Turtles overslept, and arrived as we were leaving… stuffing their shells with the pasty platter as we strolled by. We promised to have the cabana all set up for them, when they arrived, and rushed to the room to gather supplies. We stuffed everything we could in the bags HAL provided, trying not to forget anything that might require heading back down to the room. One thing: we purchased a JAMBOX speaker that plays music (quietly) through our iPads and iPhone with Bluetooth. This provides a great way to listen to your music, rather than they spa music played throughout the Retreat area. Due to the “white noise” of the ship and sea, you can’t hear our music outside of our cabana. Good news for the neighbors.

As for neighbors, we have few. Due to high winds today and yesterday, the starboard side of the retreat area is shut down. On our side, there are about 4-5 used cabanas, and everyone is quiet as a mouse. It is truly a retreat. I have only one request of our Cabana Boys… that they make sure my Mom and Aunt Joyce are happy… and they are exceeding my expectations. They have been teaching them their language, bringing the fruit, desserts, drinks, etc…. almost constantly. They have all hit it off so well… truly wonderful people. With the half empty Retreat area, they aren’t slacking at all… they are s[pending twice as much time with everyone else.

We spent the entire day in the cabana, watching Cuba slowly pass to the south… and we missed a lot. So, I’m afraid we don’t have much to report on today, other than the fire. About 3:00, or so, the fire alarms went off, and an announcement was made to stay away from 7th deck, as the alarms showed a situation there. You couldn’t help but panic a little… as we were on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I chose to deal with my tension by having a few brownies. That seemed to do the trick.

About 15-minutes later, the Captain came on the speakers and announced that there was an issue with the electrical system of the air conditioning, and that everything was fine. (Just to me sure, I left a few brownies on my nightstand when I went to sleep). Thankfully, everything and everybody was safe.

Shortly afterwards, the Turtles announced that they were going to play Bingo, and Nancy and I decided to head back to the cabin to watch the movie Shampoo on television. We quickly passed through the other channels, fearing the country might have fallen off the Fiscal Cliff and we wouldn’t have known about it.

Because it was formal night, we decided to meet for drinks at 6:00 in the Silk Den. This is always so quiet during the first past of the week, because as I’ve been told on CC, most passengers never find it until mid-week. That just has to be true! It was empty and relaxing.

Getting ready for formal night is always a crap shoot for two reasons:

1. Will the tuxedo fit? Last cruise, I put on my cumber bun on the first night, and didn’t see it again until the next formal night! It fit, and Nancy was pleased!

2. Will anyone else be in a tuxedo? Thankfully, about 30% of the male passengers were, and the rest had sport coats or suits. Everyone looked great….especially the ladies. I’m a stickler for formal night, so I always appreciate people dressing up!

Dinner was beautiful… and the service fantastic. Nothing remarkable from other formal nights, so I won’t bore you with the details… other than to say “order the lamb (David Burke’s) and the crab legs!!!

Strolled a bit, popping in to see if the movie was crowded (Ice Age: Continental Drift). It wasn’t. Then we went to see the show – Cantare. The voices we wonderful, but the choreography was distractingly amateurish, making it less than enjoyable. Close your eyes, and you will LOVE it!

Tired from a long day, we were met at our cabin door by a note informing us that due to the rough seas and winds, we would not be stopping at Turks and Caicos. As “compensation and apology” HAL would be returning $14.00 in port changes back to each passenger and providing a free glass of champagne at dinner tonight. So sad, because I do love T&C, and feel badly that it left me little to report for today… other than I remain a World Class Napper…. I’ve still got it!

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful day, and I’ll speak with you tomorrow.

… from the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

The cabana stewards are amazing although I think you wouldn't only have one of the same ones that I did since the rotate after 2 weeks. I loved your pic of the cabana. It brought back great memories for me since I'm back in the frozen north. I'm enjoying your thread.

Kevin: I am sorry you guys missed Grand Turk but those things do happen. I hope you are enjoying the cruise. You seem to be. I hope they can open the forward deck on the Upper Promenade Deck for your sail into San Juan. It is a sight to behold. When I was there Last February, I did a tour of the Picardi Rum Factory.

I love reading the updates ...your writing style is hysterical. For anyone else reading this, I am Aunt Joyce's daughter (I think she is referred to as turtle #3). Its true Kevin's mom and my mom have known each other a long time (since 1st grade) and they were so excited about this cruise they seemed like teenaged girls going to the prom. It is so fun reading these posts and I cannot thank him enough for including her. I just hope the cabanas boys can handle those two ladies...they are a riot :D..Have a great time in San Juan today...btw it might be snowing here by this weekend..ENJOY! LOVE YOU ALL!

MARY KAYE

I love reading the updates ...your writing style is hysterical. For anyone else reading this, I am Aunt Joyce's daughter (I think she is referred to as turtle #3). Its true Kevin's mom and my mom have known each other a long time (since 1st grade) and they were so excited about this cruise they seemed like teenaged girls going to the prom. It is so fun reading these posts and I cannot thank him enough for including her. I just hope the cabanas boys can handle those two ladies...they are a riot :D..Have a great time in San Juan today...btw it might be snowing here by this weekend..ENJOY! LOVE YOU ALL!

MARY KAYE

Mary Kaye: While in San Juan, he ought to take the ladies to the Picardi Rum Factory.

The ladies will even get a couple of rums, FREE! I know, I have "been there and done that."

Himself.

P.S.: I see you are from Des Plaines. I have a first cousin, once removed, who lives on Algonquin Road in Des Plaines.

Great reports!!

Sorry that you will miss Grand Turk.

About the Bicardi Rum tour -- we did it -- waste of money.

Bicardi Rum factory in San Juan. When you get there they give you this box where you press numbers and listen to a tape explaining everything as you walk through various display rooms. At the end you are taken to "bar" where the bartender goes over several kinds of rum and various drinks. You never get to see the distillary or anything else.

Outside the building is another bar -- here you get a tiny sample of rum -- or one watered down drink with a hint of rum in it.

Great reports!!

Sorry that you will miss Grand Turk.

About the Bicardi Rum tour -- we did it -- waste of money.

Bicardi Rum factory in San Juan. When you get there they give you this box where you press numbers and listen to a tape explaining everything as you walk through various display rooms. At the end you are taken to "bar" where the bartender goes over several kinds of rum and various drinks. You never get to see the distillary or anything else.

Outside the building is another bar -- here you get a tiny sample of rum -- or one watered down drink with a hint of rum in it.

When I was there we had the rum--I had three-- before the tour. FYI: I would take the tour again if I had the opportunity.

Mary Kaye: While in San Juan, he ought to take the ladies to the Picardi Rum Factory.

The ladies will even get a couple of rums, FREE! I know, I have "been there and done that."

Himself.

P.S.: I see you are from Des Plaines. I have a first cousin, once removed, who lives on Algonquin Road in Des Plaines.

Hi there...I live quite close to Algonquin!

Hi there...I live quite close to Algonquin!

When I was a child I lived on the West Side of Chicago and we had relatives who had a summer place at a like outside McHenry. My dad always got up to Algonquin Road and we took it from Park Ridge to Algonquin and then up 31 to McHenry. I am 73 and everything is quite built up from the late 40's and early 50's.

Archived