Live aboard the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam with ASIWISH!

ASIWISH

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chicago, Illinois

As I write this, I am flying at 35,000 feet crossing the Illinois/Indian border… and delightfully relaxed with the knowledge that in a few hours, Nancy and I will arrive in Ft. Lauderdale and await the arrival of our beloved MS Nieuw Amsterdam… arriving to take us to sea!

This trip will be a bit different for us, as we decided to invite my mother (Maureen) and her best friend (Joyce) to join us. We invited them last Saturday, and thankfully HAL had one more cabin available… it’s an inside cabin, but we were just thankful they had one! My Mother and Aunt Joyce have been best friends since the seventh grade, and haven’t been on a cruise ship in about 30-years. I am so excited to have them joining us! Thankfully, we had booked the Family Retreat Cabana a few months ago, like we always do, so there will be plenty of room for them to get pampered us!

When I write these “Live Froms”, I am happy to answer questions, or find out any information I can from the ship or the crew… maybe even uncover another big story like the GRAND STATENDAM, again!!! So please feel free to ask questions… I am happy to help!

As for the content: I just invite you to join us on the cruise!!!! I’ll share menus, show reviews, activities, weather reports, crew information, helpful tips, etc….anything that comes to mind. Basically it will be a tour rather than a review. I’ll even include pictures, as I understand people like occasional photos.

Here we go!!!!! Welcome to our cruise….

Saturday Morning:

We awoke to very cold temperatures in Chicago… approximately 31-degrees. It was not pleasant to rush outside to hang the “Maureen and Joyce’s High Seas Adventure” banner on the front porch to surpirse our guests! We’ll be hanging that banner on our verandah at sailaway, so be sure to watch us on the PortEverglades WebCam!!!! All of the nieces, nephews, and grandchildren will be!!! We’ll be on Deck Eight, Midship – about four verandahs from the glass elevators! (“Hello” to all my sailaway CC Friends – I trust you have everyone ready, Sheila and Chief!!!!).

My son Charlie drove us to the airport, and we got through security without a problem, and our flight left about three minutes early! I’m taking that as a good sign of a great cruise to come!

Once we land, we’ll rent a car, hit Total Wine, pop over to the inlet to watch the sailaway from the rocks… and then have dinner at the 15th Street Fisheries – and look across the waterway at Sail7seas favorite hotel!!! That hotel always makes me think of Judy, and smile.

For now, I’ll just get some rest as American Airlines was kind enough to upgrade us to first class (which was awful nice of them!)… getting a couple old ladies through O’Hare International Airport was like leading a herd of turtles!!! I already need a nap…

I’ll write more tonight, and look forward to a great week with all my friends on Cruise Critic… while cruising aboard the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Have a great day, Friends….

Have a wonderful time, and those turtles look more "like foxes to me"(said ala Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd from SNL) .:D

You know, while reading your post, I keep hearing "while cruising aboard the beautiful and elegant MS Nieuw Amsterdam" in the accent of our cruise director while we were on board. :)

Kevin: You did this and you did not take me with! If you are looking for something to do in San Juan, I recommend the Picardy Rum Factory tour, They give free samples. Have a great cruise on the ship I got off of two weeks ago.

More power to you Kevin. My DH has sailed with turtles his last two cruises - once with me, DSL and friend and this last go around with me and TWO DSL!! In the NA if Jimmy Maddox is still on board in the piano bar, he'll call out, "Here comes Kevin and his harem!"

Archived