Walk-off w/luggage on Jade/Rome?

pris993

Wondering if it is possible to walk off with our luggage from the Jade when we return to Rome? Will be arranging for a private car pickup. Assume if we are able to walk off with luggage we will be able to get off by 8am - 8:30am.

Yes you can. I just did that a few weeks ago because I didn't finish packing until the wee hours of the morning. Too late to have it picked up.

As for the time you want to leave that'll have everything to do with customs, but more than likely you'll be able to disembark then.

Toootally......

Rome port (CTVA) Its very easy to do......(a bt of a walk from the ship to town).....Once you have been in Europe,,,,,customs is a breeze!........if you are having a private car....very easy

AJ

Wondering if it is possible to walk off with our luggage from the Jade when we return to Rome? Will be arranging for a private car pickup. Assume if we are able to walk off with luggage we will be able to get off by 8am - 8:30am.

Taking your luggage off the Jade in Rome should not be an issue. As others have said, there is no immigration or customes. You just walk off.

Hopefully your ride is picking you up on the pier. If not, you will have to take the port bus from the ship to the town. You are not allowed to walk.

Not trying to hijack this thread but my question is related sort of. We finish our 12 day Barcelona to Venice on Aug. 3, and then we board the Jade @ at the same dock on the same day (Aug.3) for the 7 day Greek Isles. Obviously we want to self disembark with our luggage in tow and will be in no hurry to get off to board the Jade. What should we expect when we get off the Spirit and how far is it to the building where we would check in and board the Jade? I'll pass this on to xenagurl as I know you have been to this port a few times from reading your excellent reviews. Any other little "secrets" that everyone has experienced at this port (Venice) will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Not trying to hijack this thread but my question is related sort of. We finish our 12 day Barcelona to Venice on Aug. 3, and then we board the Jade @ at the same dock on the same day (Aug.3) for the 7 day Greek Isles. Obviously we want to self disembark with our luggage in tow and will be in no hurry to get off to board the Jade. What should we expect when we get off the Spirit and how far is it to the building where we would check in and board the Jade? I'll pass this on to xenagurl as I know you have been to this port a few times from reading your excellent reviews. Any other little "secrets" that everyone has experienced at this port (Venice) will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks for compliment & vote of confidence Ump! LOL

I have to be honest I'm not sure where the Spirit usually docks in relation to the Jade. If it's anything like the Star & Gem in NY, they'll be neighbors, but I don't have any particular knowledge. If possible try to find that out as early as possible. If they're next to each other you might have a bit of a walk but it shouldn't be too long. If they're not perhaps you can catch a shuttle over.

Civitavecchia port area is closed off and far from the street so most passengers come in by charter bus, shuttle bus from the street or via car services that have permission to enter the area. I used that and the fact that many of the arrivals are coming in from the U.S. on morning flights to figure out a good time to board. I arrived in front of the Jade by car service around 11am, there was barely a crowd and it was about 10 minutes between the time I gave my luggage to the porter, went though security, signed in with a gate agent and was on the ship.

If you can get off of the Spirit around 10, you'll probably have a minimum wait before you will be able to get on the Jade assuming it leaves the port around 4pm.

Once you drop your bags off at the porter you go right to enter the terminal area. That was the only thing that I found confusing both times. I gave them my bags and the entrance was "hidden" off to the side so I thought, "now that I'm bag free where do I go?" LOL

When getting off of the Spirit. If it's anything like the Jade. You'll come off of the ship and once you get past the luggage area and customs (you just show them your passport) there will be many buses waiting outside. Unless you'll be taking one of these, get past the fray and find out the best way to get to the Jade. If not you can find yourself waiting on a line for no reason thinking it's the line you should be on...not that I know this from experience or anything. :D

If I think of anything else I'll post again. HTH "Xena"

WE are also disembarking the Jade in Rome on March 16th and were wondering if we can pick up a ride at the port back to the airport? We are not setting this up ahead of time and don't want to get it through NCL. We were wondering what other options there are? In the other port we have been to there is usually a line of vans or cabs that you can share and pay for directly that take off once they are full? Anything like that in Rome?

WE are also disembarking the Jade in Rome on March 16th and were wondering if we can pick up a ride at the port back to the airport? We are not setting this up ahead of time and don't want to get it through NCL. We were wondering what other options there are? In the other port we have been to there is usually a line of vans or cabs that you can share and pay for directly that take off once they are full? Anything like that in Rome?

You'll need to prebook a car/shuttle to have one at the pier. The only taxis/shuttles at the pier are already booked. To get a cab you'll need to take the free shuttle to the port entrance, and then find a cab. While the shuttle is free in can be hectic, plus why load up your bags on the shuttle, unload, etc--you're just delaying getting a taxi.;)

If you haven't already I'd go to your roll call and see if there's anyone else interested and arranging a car shuttle.

Toootally......

Rome port (CTVA) Its very easy to do......(a bt of a walk from the ship to town).....Once you have been in Europe,,,,,customs is a breeze!........if you are having a private car....very easy

AJ

We are spending an extra day in Rome after our cruise in March. Can you walk from the port to the train station and take that into Rome?

We are spending an extra day in Rome after our cruise in March. Can you walk from the port to the train station and take that into Rome?

If you have no mobility issues and not a lot of luggage/small children it's very doable. At the ship there will be a free shuttle which takes you to the port entrance. From there it's less than an half mile walk. You'll probably have to go down a flight of stairs, and then go back up at the station with your luggage.

Something else to take into consideration is how many other ships will be in port. Last August when I did this there was seven ships -- it was a zoo! You couldn't get a shuttle, standing room only on the train, etc. It was not worth the money saved from private transportation. However, in two weeks I'll be on the train as there's only a couple of ships in port.

We have gotten on and off in Rome a number of times. It is easy to get a taxi from the airport to the ship, but not from the port to the airport at the dock. For that reason, we always pre booked on line a car service for pick up at the ship to the airport, we use Romecabs.com. They were recommened by others on cruise credit, we plan to book with them again. Very pleased with the service about $200 each way. We feel it is worth it, they take care of your luggage, door to door service, no waiting for a bus full of people.

Agree with the above. Civitavecchia port is one that is different from other ports. Using private transfer is really the way to go. We used RomeCabs also and they just waited outside the tent (cruise terminal). We could see that the shuttle area was crowded with a long line and happy that we decided on using RomeCabs.

I would assume that NCL ships dock in the same area. It would be a different story if it's another cruise line. We did the MSC cruise first, which docked across the other side of the bay. I am not even sure if the free shuttle would take people between the two areas. Probably have to go to the port gate first and then take another shuttle to the next ship. We had one day in between so we went to Rome for the night and went back the next day.

Thanks for the responses. I just checked the port schedule and there is only one other ship in port that day so I think we'll make it an adventure and take the train to Termini station in Rome. Our hotel is only about a half mile from there. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks for the responses. I just checked the port schedule and there is only one other ship in port that day so I think we'll make it an adventure and take the train to Termini station in Rome. Our hotel is only about a half mile from there. Has anyone tried this before?

Yes I've done it. All it all it's not bad at all with only one or two ships in port. If you'll go out and do a web search you'll even find very detailed instructions. To sum up the instructions you'll take the free shuttle bus to the port entrance, and from there walk parallel to the shore to the train station. Actually, you'll be following a line of fellow travelers doing the same thing. ;)

You have several locations to get your train tickets. At the port entrance where the shuttle drops you off there's an information booth which sells tickets, but it's usually busy so just walk on if it is busy. Tickets can be purchased at the train station or at any newstands or Tabachi stops as you walk toward the station.

You have two options for tickets: 1) ticket just for the train ride or 2) a BIRG which is good for unlimited travel on all city/regional buses, trains (not Fiumicino), trams and metro for the day.

Once you get to the station don't forget to validate your tickets in the yellow validation boxes found in the terminal or along the tracks before boarding - there's a big fine if found on the train without validation!

As I mentioned in a prior post sometimes you have to drag your bags down and up a flight of stairs to get to your train platform, and then the trains stairs are steep so you'll also have to hoist them up. All very doable -- trust me I'm a middle age short female! If I can do it - you can do it (it does make you rethink about everything you've packed in your luggage though :D).

For the most part the trains are not equipped for luggage. If there's empty seats you'll see people just stack them up in the seats next to them or squeeze them in where ever they can find space. Just be considerate of fellow travelers. One word of advice - don't leave them out of your sight. Theft can/does occur.

Go on-line and determine your hotel location in reference to the train station if you plan on walking to your hotel. Termini is a BIG train station and there's no sense walking all the way to the front of the station if you can use a side door (from the satellite area of the station it can easily take 10 minutes to get to the front!).

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the information! We are really excited about our trip and I'm trying to plan as carefully as possible to make the most of our time there.

If you haven't already please check out the roll call for your cruise. Also, start checking out the ports of call sites as there's a ton of really valuable information about each port. It really helps plan out your vacation!

On the cruise I'm on the Jade is scheduled to arrive at 5am. Assuming we used the suggested cab company to prebook a ride to the airport, what's a safe time to fly?

Can you safely assume you can walk off and be on the way to the airport by 7am? I think that would make a 10am flight do-able without much connection stress.

I guess my concern is that if the walkoff is held up much past that, making a 10am flight could be super stressful. (Unfortunately, the connection I want is only available at that one time.)

Channermann, as has been said, yes, it's doable. We stayed at a hotel near the the Termini train station in Rome for a few days before heading for Civitavecchia to catch our cruise home. When the train pulled into Civitavecchia, we were on an outer platform so we had to go down and then up stairs to get to the station itself. DH did the honors (poor guy!) with each or our big bags. But the walk itself was very pleasant...we walked past shops and enjoyed looking around and pulling, even a big suitcase, was not difficult. As soon as we entered the port gates, we boarded a bus to the ship. So you would be doing this all in reverse.

One thing to remember is that there is a local train AND an express train and both stop in Civitavecchia. We'd gotten to Rome initially by express train from Genoa a few days earlier and when it stopped in Civitavecchia, we were boarded by scads of folks from a RC ship there for the day. Unfortunately, some of them had tickets for the local train and the train conductor was having a hard time nicely explaining to them that they'd boarded the wrong train and trying to collect the difference in the ticket price. My Italin-speaking husband was suddenly doing a lot of translating!! With one man though it was hopeless.."I've got a ticket to Rome, right? This train is going to Rome, right?" and on and on. WHY is that man forever in my memory bank!lol To make a short story long, keep that in mind.

On the cruise I'm on the Jade is scheduled to arrive at 5am. Assuming we used the suggested cab company to prebook a ride to the airport, what's a safe time to fly?

Can you safely assume you can walk off and be on the way to the airport by 7am? I think that would make a 10am flight do-able without much connection stress.

I guess my concern is that if the walkoff is held up much past that, making a 10am flight could be super stressful. (Unfortunately, the connection I want is only available at that one time.)

Please go to the European port site (Rome) and search on Civi to Rome--this an issue that comes up on a regular basis. Personally I wouldn't ever consider a 10 am flight--there's just too many variables that can work against you.

While probably 99% of the time the ship will reach harbor on time there is that 1% (ship malfunction, weather, etc). Then the car ride will be a minimum of 1 hour, and can take longer due to rush hour traffic. Secondly, check in at FCO can be a bear--this is one airport I always show up at least two hours early. Sometimes I "skate" through, others times it takes forever. (It's sorta like terminal 1at JFK x 2!). If you're on a code share flight you might even end up dragging your bags between terminals. Allowing just for the car ride and check in you're already at 10 AM! Your flight will have boarded and shut its doors.

Quite frankly the stress of cutting it so close would start eating away at me long before the shop reached port--and I'm normally pretty laid back. If it were me the earliest I'd consider is 11:30, or spending another night in Rome and then flying home the next morning.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar question as NhanesExplorer. I am "arriving" at 5AM in Feb. Looking at private transfers, I notice most of them consider normal hours to be 7AM-10PM and charge a surcharge outside those hours.

If they dock at 5AM, what is the earliest (we self-disembark, 1 bag each) we would realistically be ready for the private car.

Heading for a 11:40 AM flight.

Archived