Can we walk from Central Train Stn in Amsterdam to the Pier?

MsDolly

We'll be arriving by Train to the Central Station in Amsterdam the day our cruise departs, is it walkable from the Station to the Pier if we only have one bag in tow?

It looks close enough but I can't tell about the terrain or if there is even a sidewalk or just freeways between them. :confused:

Bel

We'll be arriving by Train to the Central Station in Amsterdam the day our cruise departs, is it walkable from the Station to the Pier if we only have one bag in tow?

It looks close enough but I can't tell about the terrain or if there is even a sidewalk or just freeways between them. :confused:

Bel

Ms Dolly!!! I did a bit of research on this, I'll email it to you!!

Yes, it's very easy to walk if your luggage is on wheels and the weather permits. I have done it. As mentioned above, exit the train station via the back side (lower level, I think) and you'll find a paved walk way the entire distance. There is a slight uphill distance over some other roads, but it is easy to navigate if you're able to manage your bags. 10-15 minutes walk or so along an easily-to-figure-out route. I stopped along the way a few times to take pictures.

Please note there are two piers in Copenhagen, Langelinie and Frihaven (Freeport). Do you know where your ship will be docked?

While you may be able to walk to the Langelinie pier from Centraal station, you'll need some transportation, either by train or taxi to the Frihaven pier. The train station stop is approx. a 15 min. walk from the pier.

When we disembarked in Copenhagen, we took the ship's bus transfer option to Centraal station, as it was close to our postcruise hotel.

Thanks everyone! We are still able to manage the luggage so as long as it's not pouring rain I think this is the plan. We can all use a good walk before settling down to 12 days of cruise food....lol.

Anubi, printed the map out you sent to take along just in case.

Bel

Last month we took a river cruise from Amsterdam to Basal, and arrived at Central Station on the train from Schiphol Airport. With luggage in tow, we walked toward the water front and followed it to our boat. Yes, after sitting for 8 hours on a plane, it was a welcome relief to get a little exercise.

One note of caution, be careful crossing any streets and be sure to press the signal button. Bicycles, trams and cars seem to come out of nowhere.

Darcy

Thanks everyone! We are still able to manage the luggage so as long as it's not pouring rain I think this is the plan. We can all use a good walk before settling down to 12 days of cruise food....lol.

Anubi, printed the map out you sent to take along just in case.

Bel

Be on the lookout for bicycle traffic as you are walking. They are EVERYWHERE and have the right of way...or at least we always let them have the right of way.

Archived