Specialty restaurants - No reservations

tropicgal2

This is our first cruise with HAL, party of 3.

We like to see the MDR menu each day before we decide on the Pinnacle or Tamarind for the evening.

How hard is it to make a same day reservation (time flexible)?

What time do they post the dinner menu or can you ask to see it earlier in the day?

Thanks! :)

IIRC the dinner menus are posted shortly after lunch. If you are in a Deluxe Suite, or know someone who is, I believe they can see it earlier.

The Tamarind will probably be more difficult to get same-day reservations for because it is so popular. You would probably have better luck getting an early dining time in either restaurant than a "prime time" one around 7:00 to 8:00.

You can always make reservations on line before your cruise and then cancel them if your plans change. You do get charged when you make the reservation and then have to watch for credit back to your account when you cancel.

Dinner at Tamarind is really special. I would book ahead. I don't think there is anything on the MDR menu that equals a dinner in Tamarind. JMHO.

How busy the restaurants are seem to vary from cruise to cruise. We had no problem getting a reservation to the Pinnacle the day before the final night on our last cruise. I have been on others when it is fairly booked up and difficult to do a last minute one.

I think the advice to book in advance is good. You can cancel when you are onboard and get obc easily if you prefer the MDR once you see the menu. But at least this way, you are certain to get a reservation.

we LOVED the Tamarind as well. I would definitely pre-book it. Very popular:D for good reason;)

If you are willing to be flexible, you might be able to get same day reservations. On my last HAL cruise, my husband and I weren't sure if we wanted to eat in a specialty restaurant so we didn't book in advance. Once we were onboard, we decided that we wanted to eat in Pinnacle one night. On the second day of the cruise we inquired about reservations. Every night was completely booked for 6:30 - 8:30 dining times. The only times left were 5:30, 6, or 9. For us those times were either too early or too late so we passed on Pinnacle. I don't know if those times were still available later in the cruise.

This is our first cruise with HAL, party of 3.

We like to see the MDR menu each day before we decide on the Pinnacle or Tamarind for the evening.

How hard is it to make a same day reservation (time flexible)?

What time do they post the dinner menu or can you ask to see it earlier in the day?

You can always make reservations on line before your cruise and then cancel them if your plans change. You do get charged when you make the reservation and then have to watch for credit back to your account when you cancel.

Dinner at Tamarind is really special. I would book ahead. I don't think there is anything on the MDR menu that equals a dinner in Tamarind. JMHO.

The last two weeks on Westerdam, we always had dinner menu in our mailbox by early in the morning. ("SA" Cabin) It does vary by ship. Sometimes on other ships/ other cruises, we didn't get it until mid afternoon and I didn't like that nearly as well. :)

I wouldn't make reservations with a fair idea I might be cancelling them. That can cause someone who really wants the booking to be denied. There are limited seats and once someone is refused a reservation, they don't know someone who had held the booking 'just in case they wanted it', ultimately gave it up. Sure, if your plans have to chance for some reason, one cancels but I'd never book so willy nilly just out of a sense of fairness.

Sorry, I DO NOT mean to be offensive but am being my 'always direct' self. :o

It varies a lot ship to ship, cruise to cruise how hard it is to get a Pinnacle Reseration while on board. We've been on some cruises, when it was as filled as they were going to allow it right from the start of theh cruise. Just because you see an empty table, do not expect they will fill it on request. They have a set number they can handle.

I agree with Sail, it would be selfish to book a just in case dinner. Space is limited.

Actually, I disagree a bit. Unless it's a truly last-minute cancellation. However, I'd bet that if one cancels the night before or even the morning of, there are plenty of passengers who call hoping for last minute cancellations that may end up pleasantly surprised - making it a win/win situation :)

Thank you everyone for all your opinions and help.

I booked the Pinnacle for the last night, and I will wait until I am on the ship to book the Tamarind. I did notice that most of the days, all the time slots were still available for both restaurants, and we sail this Sunday.

It is new to us, having to pay in advance for dining and excursions. On Princess, they charge it to your account, and you cannot make dining reservations until you are on the ship, as of my last cruise.

Thank you everyone for all your opinions and help.

I booked the Pinnacle for the last night, and I will wait until I am on the ship to book the Tamarind. I did notice that most of the days, all the time slots were still available for both restaurants, and we sail this Sunday.

It is new to us, having to pay in advance for dining and excursions. On Princess, they charge it to your account, and you cannot make dining reservations until you are on the ship, as of my last cruise.

I am a planner and like to have as much done before the trip as possible. Since HAL doesn't pre-charge the tips, hotel fee, whatever one wants to call it I even pre-booked OBC just to get it out of the way.

Optimally I like to have as near a zero balance at the end of the cruise as possible, even if paying in advance is financially beneficial to the line.

The PG or Tamarind will accept walk ups if space permits.

It is a gamble, if you want to head to either after checking the menu it is up to you. Get to know one of the DRMs, he can give you a sneak preview of the dinner menu at Breakfast.

We always pre-book either the Pinnacle or the Taamarind for the last night of the cruise as we do not care for the International dinner menu which is usually on the last night on most ships/itineraries (especially the Caribbean).

Good move!

Archived