tepanyaki

iluvdoxies

I don't remember seeing kids portions but as mentioned kids 4-12 IIRC are half price. Our kids always have gotten the same selections from the regular menu and tend to eat most or all of it.

I do recall one time we sat with a couple and their kids that were maybe 2 and 3 and most of their kids' food ended up in their water, soup, etc. Those parents seemed to think that was appropriate so after what they put in their water, soup, floor they did only end up with a child's portion.

Based on how much I eat...it's all kids portions....HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

I would love for Teppanyaki to be one of the highlight of the dining venues, but it just disappoints me that the largest amount of food is the fried rice...which is very good. But then all the entrees that accompany the meal are small in comparison. I mean you could just eat fried rice as your meal...that's how much they make.

But unlike the other venues, this is more about the visual...IMO.

I'll see you all at Moderno!

hi all

do they ofer kid's portions for dinner ?=====thanks

The portions will be just as huge as an adults but kids 4-12 and under only pay half price if eating from the Teppanayki menu. Under 4, they are free from that menu. All can eat from the regular children's menu for free.

Based on how much I eat...it's all kids portions....HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

I would love for Teppanyaki to be one of the highlight of the dining venues, but it just disappoints me that the largest amount of food is the fried rice...which is very good. But then all the entrees that accompany the meal are small in comparison. I mean you could just eat fried rice as your meal...that's how much they make.

But unlike the other venues, this is more about the visual...IMO.

I have eaten there twice. Wont do it again. I hate leaving hungry.

We just went last week with my 3yo daughter, who ordered the "Shogun" (chicken & steak) off the regular menu (we weren't offered anything different). She received the usual adult portion, from edamame to green tea cake (and everything in between), ate most of it (with a little help from daddy), and we weren't charged for her at all!

Bizarrely, the one specialty restaurant where they did charge us half price for her, was La Cucina, where she had a small plate of penne with pesto and nothing else (left early to return to kids club). We didn't bother to dispute the charge since they'd been very generous at all the other restaurants, but I did think the discrepancy was odd. (In Moderno she also ate what we ate, and we weren't charged).

When we went our daughter was 9 months old and son was 2. We didn't get charged for either and he got a full shrimp dinner, she got rice and a shrimp or 2 each time we went. They both ate everything on their plates.

I ordered extra rice and extra chicken.

We just went last week with my 3yo daughter' date=' who ordered the "Shogun" (chicken & steak) off the regular menu (we weren't offered anything different). She received the usual adult portion, from edamame to green tea cake (and everything in between), ate most of it (with a little help from daddy), and we weren't charged for her at all!

Bizarrely, the one specialty restaurant where they did charge us half price for her, was La Cucina, where she had a small plate of penne with pesto and nothing else (left early to return to kids club). We didn't bother to dispute the charge since they'd been very generous at all the other restaurants, but I did think the discrepancy was odd. (In Moderno she also ate what we ate, and we weren't charged).[/quote']

No! She shouldn't have been charged at all!

Bizarrely' date=' the one specialty restaurant where they did charge us half price for her, was La Cucina, where she had a small plate of penne with pesto and nothing else (left early to return to kids club). We didn't bother to dispute the charge since they'd been very generous at all the other restaurants, but I did think the discrepancy was odd. (In Moderno she also ate what we ate, and we weren't charged).[/quote']

Kids 3 and under eat FREE. So you shouldn't have paid at any of them. However, they may have thought she was 4, so that is probably why they charged you. At that point, I would have pointed that out to them so they could adjust the charges. :)

We ate at Teppanyaki on our last cruise and that was enough for us. I really didn't think it was that great. Maybe I'm just use to the land based one's we have here. The food just didn't taste the same and they did offer a few other things that just wasn't too appealing to my taste buds I guess. I also like to go to the land based one's because of the big show they put on (tossing all these things in the air back and forth between tables, the fire and so on. On the ships, of course they can't do the fire and the ceiling isn't high enough for all of the big tossing. Our chef didn't do anything but put the rice in a pile, made it in to a heart, put his spatula under it and made it move and said it was a "beating heart". :rolleyes:

I won't go back. The expense wasn't worth it to me. :cool:

Kids 3 and under eat FREE. So you shouldn't have paid at any of them. However, they may have thought she was 4, so that is probably why they charged you. At that point, I would have pointed that out to them so they could adjust the charges. :)

We ate at Teppanyaki on our last cruise and that was enough for us. I really didn't think it was that great. Maybe I'm just use to the land based one's we have here. The food just didn't taste the same and they did offer a few other things that just wasn't too appealing to my taste buds I guess. I also like to go to the land based one's because of the big show they put on (tossing all these things in the air back and forth between tables, the fire and so on. On the ships, of course they can't do the fire and the ceiling isn't high enough for all of the big tossing. Our chef didn't do anything but put the rice in a pile, made it in to a heart, put his spatula under it and made it move and said it was a "beating heart". :rolleyes:

I admit I like the "beating heart" routine. Cannot think of a time when we didn't have the flaming volcanoes, cracking the eggs in midair, having the guests catch something in their mouths and tossing the shrimp tails/shells in his hat.

Sorry to thread jack but . . .

ZoneHPH -- Don't do it. I'll meet you in the Ironbound . . . I get to pick the place but you will never settle for Rodizio on a cruise ship again. :cool: It's like the difference between pizza in NY/NJ vs. at school; no contest.

Although we thought tepanyaki was fine, we have now experience the well honed show and don't need to see it again. The room we saw the performance in had two tepanyaki stations. It was like watching synchronized tepanyaki between the two stations. The same jokes and exactly the same moves all at exactly the same time.

People must love the show, each performance seems to sell out quickly.

We ate at Teppanyaki on our last cruise and that was enough for us. I really didn't think it was that great. Maybe I'm just use to the land based one's we have here. The food just didn't taste the same and they did offer a few other things that just wasn't too appealing to my taste buds I guess. I also like to go to the land based one's because of the big show they put on (tossing all these things in the air back and forth between tables, the fire and so on. On the ships, of course they can't do the fire and the ceiling isn't high enough for all of the big tossing. Our chef didn't do anything but put the rice in a pile, made it in to a heart, put his spatula under it and made it move and said it was a "beating heart".

I won't go back. The expense wasn't worth it to me.

I agree ;)

I admit I like the "beating heart" routine. Cannot think of a time when we didn't have the flaming volcanoes, cracking the eggs in midair, having the guests catch something in their mouths and tossing the shrimp tails/shells in his hat.

Are you referring to the land based ones? Because the ships don't do the flaming volcanoes. They are not permitted to have the fire in there. :confused:

Are you referring to the land based ones? Because the ships don't do the flaming volcanoes. They are not permitted to have the fire in there. :confused:

No, I am referring to all the NCL ships I have sailed on. We did have an open flame with a lighter on the Dawn this past July. He used that to do the volcano trick. It was for a brief second and then it smoked. Same with if you have a flambeed dish. Asked about open flames because you cannot have anything other than electric candles anymore. Said that because of "additional fireproofing" he could use the lighter for the one trick.

No, I am referring to all the NCL ships I have sailed on. We did have an open flame with a lighter on the Dawn this past July. He used that to do the volcano trick. It was for a brief second and then it smoked. Same with if you have a flambeed dish. Asked about open flames because you cannot have anything other than electric candles anymore. Said that because of "additional fireproofing" he could use the lighter for the one trick.

Oh ok, gotcha. I guess ours have not been that creative then. :rolleyes:

I was surprised, and know she should have been FREE, but we didn't bother to dispute it. All in all La Cucina was our most mediocre dinner, the staff just wasn't super friendly, and while every other restaurant we went to they knew my dd was 3 (as it says her birthday by her name in their system) for whatever reason they charged her. Not a big deal, I just thought it a little odd (and kind of funny, since that was the one meal where she ate very little, at Teppanyaki and Moderno she ate nearly as much as me!).

I was surprised' date=' and know she should have been FREE, but we didn't bother to dispute it. All in all La Cucina was our most mediocre dinner, the staff just wasn't super friendly, and while every other restaurant we went to they knew my dd was 3 (as it says her birthday by her name in their system) for whatever reason they charged her. Not a big deal, I just thought it a little odd (and kind of funny, since that was the one meal where she ate very little, at Teppanyaki and Moderno she ate nearly as much as me!).[/quote']

Which ship were you on? We had a similar problem on the Star where La Cucina wanted to charge our 12 y/o full price whereas all the other ones we went to charged her half (which is correct). When we got the bill I told the server who said no, asked maitre-d who said no so I went to front desk. Girl there didn't know but supervisor said yes, but wait, the restaurant manager had to approve who said no. Finally after wasting 30 minutes I contacted Patrick to contact HD and get correct answer. I told Patrick I could really not care too much about the $5 overcharge but the staff needs to understand what the policy is and it was corrected.

Ironically, the next time when we went on the Dawn and ate at La Cucina we had horrible service (ignored when we came in for quite awhile, slow service) and the food we normally love was not as good as in the past. A couple days later I was checking bill mid-cruise and we got charged twice - once for the flat fees for everyone and the one where it included drinks. I went down to the front desk and it was obvious by the times we were charged twice but we had to wait for the restaurant manager to come down to approve.

• 2 months later...

The teppanyaki is probably my favorite place to eat onboard. The portions are very large. It's very surprising to me anyone would not leave full after eating there...hmmm. I like it so much because its one of the few places to have a really great vegetarian option...lots of fresh veggies and tofu. Can't wait to eat there next week! :)

Archived