Disembarking prior to final port

M5M

Does anyone know what the process would be to disembark at a port BEFORE the final one? Are there any legalities to address?

This needs to be approved in advance and is not always possible due to cabotage laws that make it illegal to disembark in certain ports depending on the itinerary. Even if legal, advance notice is required so that arrangements can be made in the port you are debarking for officials to clear you. So long as it would be legal to debark in the port you want too, usually the cruise ship can gain permission and make necessary arrangements. Be advised that you still would have to pay full price and there is always the chance your cruise could miss the port where you want to leave (i.e. bad weather, mechanical problem, unrest in the port, strikes in the port etc.). If you say the itinerary and the port you want to debark in myself or someone else should be able to advise as to whether or not it would likely be legal.

First let me say I grew up in New Orleans, lived there till I was mid twenties. Crazy place!

We're considering the early disembarkation at Naples, one night before the final stop at Civitavecchia. I realize there are no pricing discounts, in fact, if we do this it will incur an extra night of hotel on land. Disembarking in Naples would feed well into our post cruise itinerary.

It is a common thing to do but you must have the permission of the cruise line. There are different cabotage rules for various countries which must be complied with.

Be sure to get an e-mail confirming if permission is granted. Verify with the Front Office on the ship when you board...... if you have gotten the approval.

First let me say I grew up in New Orleans, lived there till I was mid twenties. Crazy place!

We're considering the early disembarkation at Naples, one night before the final stop at Civitavecchia. I realize there are no pricing discounts, in fact, if we do this it will incur an extra night of hotel on land. Disembarking in Naples would feed well into our post cruise itinerary.

That should be feasible, but you do have to obtain advance permission from the cruise line. Italy does have cabotage laws, but they are far less stringent than those in the US (where on many itineraries it is not possible to legally end your cruise early in a US port).

Agree with you on New Orleans, I was there for four years for college. Lots of fun, but lots of craziness too!

Contact your cruise line.

If you do get permission -- get it in writing -- and take copies with you.

Once on the ship -- go to the front office and show them your paperwork that you will be leaving the ship early. Near the end of the cruise -- go back again to the front office and make certain that they remember that you are leaving early.

Keep track of everything.

Archived