Planning a cruise for November/December 2013

phatmanandy

Hey everyone I am new to these boards but have always been a fan of reading cruisecritic reviews and news. I have been on 7 cruises thus far and everyone is great in their own way. I am currently working on my master's and will be finished in October next year. My wife (just married in May) has never been on a cruise and she will be graduating with her undergrad in May. So I'm planning a cruise for us to go on in that November/December area. She has never been and I have been to so many that I can't decide. We were looking at a 7-9 night cruise, on princess. My idea is somewhere in the Caribbean area, is there a specific itinerary that everyone enjoys? Why? Any other suggestions you may have please let me know.

Andy

On your first cruise, they're all good! I would choose by price...Rates will be less between Thanksgiving and Christmas. You need to tell us a bit about what you would like to do...Are you all for frying on a beach, or do you have other activities in mind? EM

EM-

Well like I said I have been on many, with my family growing up my latest was last year from Florida to Italy. My wife though has never been. She loves the beach because she's from California. But we're both adventurous people. Love to sight see, view nature and the lands, beach, shopping, water activities, sort of all of the above. My favorites of cruising is actually being on the ship. So many fun activities it's hard to be board. So were thinking of turning it into a graduation from college trip, her undergrad and my masters. Thinking of also inviting friends and family to join.

EM-

Well like I said I have been on many, with my family growing up my latest was last year from Florida to Italy. My wife though has never been. She loves the beach because she's from California. But we're both adventurous people. Love to sight see, view nature and the lands, beach, shopping, water activities, sort of all of the above. My favorites of cruising is actually being on the ship. So many fun activities it's hard to be board. So were thinking of turning it into a graduation from college trip, her undergrad and my masters. Thinking of also inviting friends and family to join.

You could pick Islands that neither of you have been to, so that it will be an new adventure for both of you! :)

There are only four itineraries that meet your requirements regarding time of year, place, and length of cruise. The Caribbean Princess out of Houston and the Crown and Royal out of Florida. The Crown has two itineraries, Southern and Eastern Caribbean.

I would choose the cheapest sailing on the Royal which is the sailing during the first week of December. The Royal is the newest ship for Princess and starts its inaugural season next June. It would be wonderful to enjoy this brand new ship. I am sure it will be very impressive. It also has a good Eastern Caribbean itinerary for a first time cruiser. It does cost about $100 per person more than the other sailings so if you want to save money I would choose one of the sailings on either the Crown or the Caribbean.

ha ha, I know all this education and I need help. Well I guess it's just more wanting to know what islands you have all enjoyed. I have only been to the Western Caribbean out of Galveston. I have thought about the booking on the Royal, it would be fantastic! May be worth it.

Some Thoughts

As previously posted the New Royal out of Fort Lauderdale, It would be a nice experience to be on a new ship. It stops at the popular ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten as well as Princess Cays.

Caribbean Princess out of Houston, stopping at the popular western Caribbean ports of Roatan, Cozumel and Belize. Departing from Houston offers you the advantage of an easier flight and also the possibility of driving if you have the time, looks like 2 long days with one night on the road and one night in Houston.

The Crown stops at Aruba and Curacao, but the Dec. 14th sailing has different ports

If you have the time and funds for a longer voyage take a look at the Emerald Princess 10 nighters. Also, the Coral and Island Princess do 11 night Panama Canal partial transit round trip Fort Lauderdale. Very nice have done it twice.

In all cases, your best prices will be those which sail after Thanksgiving and disembark prior to Christmas. Ships most likely will begin decorating starting the first week of Dec.

Have fun

As previously posted the New Royal out of Fort Lauderdale, It would be a nice experience to be on a new ship. It stops at the popular ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten as well as Princess Cays.

Princess Cays is often crowded enough with long lines for tendering at the start and end of the call there as well as lines for the buffel meal. Considering that the Royal is Princess' largest ship ever with more than 500 more passengers than the previous large Princess ships, I would be hesitant to pick the Royal for the Princess Cays experience.

I have heard that Princess Cays is quite the hassle, also that many are now just staying on the ship because it's much better. I would just hate paying for that port but not actually experience it you know? maybe that would just be a good lay on the beach day and the other two ports can be exploring.

Archived