British registered ships and Argentina

bazzaw

Looks like the P&O Arcadia WC via South America has run into rocky waters - because it is landing in the Falklands AND because it is a British registered ship, they have been refused landing in their three Argentinian ports. It also looks like other ships (registered in Bermuda) will also be refused entry. eg Princess.

Something to be aware of IF you are planning something in that area.

Barry

We were on the Star Princess in February when it was denied entry to Ushuaia following a visit to the Falklands. That decision must have cost the local economy dear - we had arranged to hire a local taxi for the day, the poor guy got nothing. Multiply that by the 2000+ passengers and it would have had a big impact. A P&O ship was also denied entry the same day.

I believe that the Argentinian gov plans to deny entry to any cruise ship that has visited, or intends to visit, the Falklands - regardless of where they are registered.

Sadly, I suspect some cruise lines will cave in to such bully boy tactics and stop visiting the Falklands. However, it will not change the resolve of the islanders to remain British, nor the UK government in supporting the islanders' wishes.

For us, visiting the Falklands was a highlight of our South America cruise.

Looks like the P&O Arcadia WC via South America has run into rocky waters - because it is landing in the Falklands AND because it is a British registered ship, they have been refused landing in their three Argentinian ports. It also looks like other ships (registered in Bermuda) will also be refused entry. eg Princess.

Something to be aware of IF you are planning something in that area.

Barry

Oh dear we are booked on Golden Princess, 31 days on March 1, 2014, Buenos Aires to LA. Stopping at all stations along the way including Falklands and Ushuaia. Now I wonder if Golden will be permitted to berth at Buenos Aires? I hope this is cleared up before we have to book our airfares and pre/post cruise activities. Perhaps I should check where Golden Princess is registered.

Sounds like the Argies are getting stroppy again.

Our cruise is scheduled to call at both Buenos Aires and Falkland Island in February. We have received the following message from Princess -

IMPORTANT NOTICES

We are aware that recent cruise itineraries have been disrupted in Argentina when ships featured a call at both the Falkland Islands and ports in

Argentina, or when the cruise ship was registered within the British Flag Administration, such as Bermuda. Because Grand Princess is Bermuda

registered and we plan to call in both the Falkland Islands and ports in Argentina, we want to advise you of the possibility of an itinerary

disruption to your cruise, including our call to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

We are a vacation company and as such do not wish to engage in any political disputes. Our South American voyages are popular and carry

passengers representing nearly forty different nationalities who have specifically booked this particular itinerary. Therefore, our current plan is

to keep the itinerary as published. We will be monitoring the situation closely and will take the necessary measures to ensure the safety of our

passengers and crew. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Ten or so years ago we were on a South American cruise on a Holland America ship and the Argentinians delayed our departure from Buenos Aires for an extra eight (or more) hours. This didn't allow us to stop in the Falkland Islands on time and keep to the rest of our schedule. We sailed past the Falklands, but didn't stop. :(

This time it looks like Argentina is forcing cruiselines to choose between Buenos Aires or Falkland Islands. I would prefer to go to the Falklands. :) However, our cruise has been sold in three segments, with a change-over between cruise #1 and cruise #2 in Buenos Aires. Therefore Princess don't have any choice - they might have to stop in BA and forgo the Falklands.:(

I wonder who will pay the air ticket changes if cruises scheduled to to start/finish in BA are changed say to Rio or Montevideo. I know, not Princess, but the pax ! I know from experience Travel Insurance companies will not pay out on rescheduled cruises. Cost me an arm and a leg a few years ago when our New England Costa Atlantica cruise was cancelled because Costa reschduled the ship to the Med. Neither Travel Insurance nor Costa would pay out on cancelled airfares and hotels, Costa just refunded the cruise fare, after 3 months mind you.

March 2014 is still a long time away for Golden Princess and its Grand Voyage under the continent. As much as I hate to say it the only way to please Argentina is to drop Falklands from the schedule BUT this does not change the fact that Princess ships are registered in Bermuda.

I suppose they could just divide the territory up and give Argentina the west island and Britain the east island!

Archived