Cruiseline "marketing"????

bazzaw

I often hear people say that this cruiseline markets itself towards a certain demographic and another attempts to attract a different segment of the cruising market. But I often wonder if this is a bit of a myth - or even a furphy?? Or just the result of idle chatter?? :p

I can point to two instances where I think it is probably true -- the TV adds for Carnival Spirit pushing the "Green Thunder" as the biggest water slide at sea -- and the Cunard website where every picture shows a youngish, very elegant clientelle, all dressed to the nines as they make their entrance down the huge stairway. But apart from those things - I couldn't tell you what the so-called target market is for any other cruiseline. ( apart from the opinions I may read here - or in other sections of CC, such as the general reviews of various cruiselines)

Barry

I often hear people say that this cruiseline markets itself towards a certain demographic and another attempts to attract a different segment of the cruising market. But I often wonder if this is a bit of a myth - or even a furphy?? Or just the result of idle chatter?? :p

I can point to two instances where I think it is probably true -- the TV adds for Carnival Spirit pushing the "Green Thunder" as the biggest water slide at sea -- and the Cunard website where every picture shows a youngish, very elegant clientelle, all dressed to the nines as they make their entrance down the huge stairway. But apart from those things - I couldn't tell you what the so-called target market is for any other cruiseline. ( apart from the opinions I may read here - or in other sections of CC, such as the general reviews of various cruiselines)

Barry

Only an insider could tell you what the actual target market is for each cruiseline and for each ship (big and small).

However, it is obvious that cruiselines market their cruises to different demographics. An example is the cruise ship "Costa Romantica", which was recently berthed in Sydney. Did anyone see any local marketing for this cruise ship?

However, it is obvious that cruiselines market their cruises to different demographics.

This is the point I am asking about - I am not so sure that it is OBVIOUS and I am doubting that they even do so (actively market) .

Certainly it is apparent in the decor that cruiselines decide to use that they may be trying to appeal to somebody - but who? This could also be said of some of the onboard equipment. eg Carnival Spirit has a big waterslide - while Cunard have Veuvre Clicquot bars :D

Barry

This is the point I am asking about - I am not so sure that it is OBVIOUS and I am doubting that they even do so (actively market) .

Certainly it is apparent in the decor that cruiselines decide to use that they may be trying to appeal to somebody - but who? This could also be said of some of the onboard equipment. eg Carnival Spirit has a big waterslide - while Cunard have Veuvre Clicquot bars :D

Barry

I guess it is obvious to me because I'm interested in travel, including cruising, outside those marketed in Australia.

I can see your point. My opinion is about overall big picture marketing, across the world market, rather than decor marketing.

An example is the cruise ship "Costa Romantica", which was recently berthed in Sydney. Did anyone see any local marketing for this cruise ship?

I think Sutho did all the marketing. :p

The Costa Romantica was in the background of some of his marvellous photos of the Solstice.

cheers

It has been true for at least a decade as far as I know that cruise lines have had market categories. They were Mass Market, Premium, and Luxury. All of my cruises have been in Mass Market. The next one is going to be in Premium (Celebrity Solstice). By the end of that cruise I will know if there is much of a difference. In recent years mass market lines have introduced extra pay as you go facilities like "The Retreat, Sanctuary" etc. As far as I am aware the upper class lines do not have these pay as you go areas and I find it a form of class snobbery on mass market ships. While I dont have a problem with cruise lines marketing to different demographics I do not like seeing mass market lines attempt to sell to elitist people and charge them for superior service. It is destroying what mass market lines used to be.

P&O Australia, UK, Princess, Carnival are all supposed to be mass market.

HAL, Celebrity, Cunard** are supposed to be premuim. ** Cunard offers class distinction and I think the lower category is classed as more of a mass market experience and the upper classed as luxury.

Regent Seven Seas (previously Radisson) and Crystal are classed as luxury.

I don't agree that the lines categorise themselves in those three groups. They try to appeal to a segment of the market rather than categorising themselves in one way and just trying to meet certain expectations and clientele. I believe the Princess marketing manager would also take strong exception to being lumped in the same category as Carnival!!

As for extras onboard, they are some of the ways they use to increase revenue, rather than being introduced to try to attract people. However, one of the ways you can sell products is with exclusivity, and that's an element in how they are sold.

To the original question, all the cruiselines do need to market towards a demographic. It's necessary as they only have limited funds for marketing and so need to make it most effective, and need to know about their customers so they can build and provide experiences that attract and then encourage them to spend the most.

So it's not as you describe that they're "trying to attract a different segment of the cruising market" but about getting the best sales and delivering the most suitable product to customers who would enjoy it most.

I don't agree that the lines categorise themselves in those three groups. They try to appeal to a segment of the market rather than categorising themselves in one way and just trying to meet certain expectations and clientele. I believe the Princess marketing manager would also take strong exception to being lumped in the same category as Carnival!!

As for extras onboard, they are some of the ways they use to increase revenue, rather than being introduced to try to attract people. However, one of the ways you can sell products is with exclusivity, and that's an element in how they are sold.

To the original question, all the cruiselines do need to market towards a demographic. It's necessary as they only have limited funds for marketing and so need to make it most effective, and need to know about their customers so they can build and provide experiences that attract and then encourage them to spend the most.

So it's not as you describe that they're "trying to attract a different segment of the cruising market" but about getting the best sales and delivering the most suitable product to customers who would enjoy it most.

That has been the problem with these categories for years. Both P&O UK and Princess consider themselves and are considered by others a notch above the likes of Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I personally would consider P&O UK and Princess above the likes of Carnival. Lately P&O have been trying to be everything to everyone and that is a big failure in my opinion.

The other problem with these categories is the fact Carnival Corp has no comprehension on how to run a cruise line catering to vacationers and tourists. Gambling and Booze is Carnivals bread and butter. Carnival made is fortune from gambling/booze cruises out of the USA and that is the only way they know how to make money. Appealing to passengers needs is a whole new concept to them and ever since they got their claws in all these new cruise lines they have dragged them down and then tried to restore them to what they were.

P&O UK always called themselves a one class ship system in their brochures 10 years ago. Princess had the slogan big ship choice small ship feel and was the US equivelent of P&O as P&O did fully own Princess. Before the financial crash the likes of HAL, Cunard, Celebrity were priced so much higher than the other lines. It is only in recent years with a flood of ships and the financial crisis that we are seeing these once premium lines cater to mass market prices.

The cruis industry is changing but I think the categories remain and that the goal posts for these categories need to be adjusted.

Cunard** are supposed to be premuim. ** Cunard offers class distinction and I think the lower category is classed as more of a mass market experience and the upper classed as luxury.

Thems is fightin' words to a Cunard cruiser - just post that on the Cunard board and see what happens :)

Certainly Cunard markets Grills as a luxury experience but it also tries to appeal to the luxury market in Brittania especially with the number of formal nights, lecture program etc. IMO though Brittania food is nowhere near "luxury".

I think you may find that cruise lines promote themsleves slightly differently in different countries, appealing to what the residents of that country are known to favour.

I also think they are victims of the same marketing as any company in that their brochures are often filled with attractive people that make their product look good.

Flicking through the Royal & Celebrity brochures I have, I see happy families & slim well groomed, well dressed 30/40/50 somethings.

Take a close look at any brochures you may have, lucky if there is one elderley person pic & not a single overweight person amongst them.

Yet a good many of the cruise passengers I have seen on previous cruises & in the pics of fellow CC cruisers are not a match for this demographic, with many being older, fatter, a lot less groomed, or all three!:eek: :D

So I think they promote a product & use the appropiate people props to show it off at it's best.

Having a beautiful woman getting a spa treatment implies you to can look this good if you visit the spa etc.

So since the demographic on both of these cruise lines has it's fair share of 60+ seniors, they aren't targeting them via their brochures.

Based on brochures alone I would expect the passengers to be a mix of familes plus 30-50 year olds who all spend a good amount of time in the gym.;)

Maybe this is the market they need to appeal to as financial retirees will cruise regardless having more time & less to spend their money on, so are a sure thing?

I don't have a Carnival brochure but would be interesting to see if they show a lot more families, young adults etc?

From a look at their website they use a lot of colloquial or slang language such as 'footy field, latest buzz, have a read' etc which to me says they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd.

But afterall, what we perceive or are told is opinion, what the cruise lines put in print or on their web site is their marketing in action & speaks for itself.:)

The fantasy cruising "experience" portrayed in the glossy brochures - pampered luxury and sophisticated cuisine in elegant surroundings with attractive people - can lead to some very unrealistic expectations as the reality is often very different. In most cases you get what you pay for but in the case of mass market cruises you get an awful lot more than you've paid for if you break it down to the price per person per day. I sometimes wish the whingers would remember that.

The more upmarket cruiselines do tend to attract the 50+ retiree demographic because they are generally the people with more time and money to spend on a cruise.

Take a close look at any brochures you may have, lucky if there is one elderley person pic & not a single overweight person amongst them. I'm still looking for any that have a zimmer frame, a motorised wheelchair running people over, or a guy that looks as tho he is trying out for a funeral home advert - I've not even seen that in a HAL brochure

Yet a good many of the cruise passengers I have seen on previous cruises & in the pics of fellow CC cruisers are not a match for this demographic, with many being older, fatter, a lot less groomed, or all three!:eek: :D I resemble that remark.....

I don't have a Carnival brochure but would be interesting to see if they show a lot more families, young adults etc?

From a look at their website they use a lot of colloquial or slang language such as 'footy field, latest buzz, have a read' etc which to me says they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd.In which case showing someone vomitting in a hall way or trying to 'crack onto a shelia' in the lift would be more appropriate. Funny on P&O Australia brochures I never see anyone dressed in formal thongs, or a wifebeater singlet, covered in tatts, or a woman with a very very orange fake tan, dyed tassled hair so dry it would slice your fingers if you touched it, trying to squeeze into a dress that might have looked good on Halle Berry but looks like 2 pigs fighting under a blanket on her.

........:eek: :D

But am I wrong..........or just undiplomatic.

........:eek: :D

But am I wrong..........or just undiplomatic.

LOL! Love your colourful passenger descriptions, the pigs in the blanket gave me a chuckle. :D Guess some people don't own a mirror, or it's one of the body morphing ones they picked up at a Luna Park clearance sale!

Now to clarify, in regards to you resembling the older, fatter, & less groomed passenger demographic, which are you cofessing to? Or are you going for the trifecta?!!:D:p

The fantasy cruising "experience" portrayed in the glossy brochures - pampered luxury and sophisticated cuisine in elegant surroundings with attractive people - can lead to some very unrealistic expectations as the reality is often very different. In most cases you get what you pay for but in the case of mass market cruises you get an awful lot more than you've paid for if you break it down to the price per person per day. I sometimes wish the whingers would remember that.

The more upmarket cruiselines do tend to attract the 50+ retiree demographic because they are generally the people with more time and money to spend on a cruise.

Yes I agree, based on their brochures alone you would be quite suprised at the least if you expected everyone on board to be of the same demographic as the 'brochure people'.:eek:

Cruisng is also great value as you say, we have done the maths as well & it is hard to beat value wise if you take advantage of all that is offered.

I believe that the more expensive cruise lines will tend to attact middle aged to older crowds because young people & families often have less disposable income & will therefore go for the cheaper lines, which based on the marketing of those lines it seems they are slightly more geared toward that demographic anyway.

I tend to be attracted to the Royal/Celebrity marketing more than P&O/Carnival, not because I want an older crowd, but more because I hope it will attract less of a yobo crowd (1 day cruises not included!):D

LOL! Love your colourful passenger descriptions, the pigs in the blanket gave me a chuckle. :D Guess some people don't own a mirror, or it's one of the body morphing ones they picked up at a Luna Park clearance sale!

Now to clarify, in regards to you resembling the older, fatter, & less groomed passenger demographic, which are you cofessing to? Or are you going for the trifecta?!!:D:p

I'm the 'chunkier'...although I have been losing some weight.... Suppose older ( mid 40's). I do dress down..at home but try to dress 'nicely' when going out. But of the belief that as a guy, you never ever leave home in any of the following ; track suit pants, speedos, singlets (unless at the beach)' thongs ( unless at the beach or in the garden - no one needs see you scabby scaly feet), or jeans that hang so low when you walk it looks like you have crapped yourself.

But in all seriousness, I saw something very sad the other day and it wasn't prolly meant to be..a little girl of 8 or 9 out with her mother wearing jeans so inappropriate she had substantial plumbers crack showing. She is a child for gods sake...not a model for lingerie catalogue. Mum and Dad...show some respect to your child and dress them like children.....not like a Japanese businessman's fantasy! Rant off!!!!:D

I'm the same as you Avalon. I do not consider myself 'old' but gravitate towards Celebrity as I would much more prefer to Aldi the booze cruise crowd or huge groups of children. I enjoy a nice drink in the evening.....I think I am a man born somewhat out of my time by about 40 years.

I'm the 'chunkier'...although I have been losing some weight.... Suppose older ( mid 40's). I do dress down..at home but try to dress 'nicely' when going out. But of the belief that as a guy, you never ever leave home in any of the following ; track suit pants, speedos, singlets (unless at the beach)' thongs ( unless at the beach or in the garden - no one needs see you scabby scaly feet), or jeans that hang so low when you walk it looks like you have crapped yourself.

But in all seriousness, I saw something very sad the other day and it wasn't prolly meant to be..a little girl of 8 or 9 out with her mother wearing jeans so inappropriate she had substantial plumbers crack showing. She is a child for gods sake...not a model for lingerie catalogue. Mum and Dad...show some respect to your child and dress them like children.....not like a Japanese businessman's fantasy! Rant off!!!!:D

I think you are being too hard on yourself, if you have been losing the kilos then good on you & if you are still chunky, then you can lose some more I'm sure. Mid 40's is not what I would call the older crowd either (60+ seniors is what I'm referring to as older, grey nomads & all that).

You dress well in public as well from what you say, so seems you are no where near the trifecta!! :D

Sounds like you may need to address those reptile feet though ;), but I'm with you on the droopy draws & the speedos - not a good look on anyone !!!:D

Sad for that kid you saw, I never undrestand why you are required to have a licence to own a dog, but anyone can have children!:rolleyes:

Archived