It does not matter what you are wearing...

Porthopper101

To each his own. Some people do like to dress up, and some do not. But for those who are saying, "no one notice what you are wearing" is mad, unless you are carrying a white cane with a red tip. I always pay attention to my surrounding.

We are taking the train to New York on the 27. Our 120 days world cruise is begin on 01-03-2013. My house is look like the tornado hit, clothes, shoes, luggage, Christmas presents are everywhere. I am getting excited.

Happy Sauturday.

M

I think what you wear does matter whether it's "elegant night" or otherwise. It has been my experience that my wife and I always receive better customer service when we are nicely dressed rather than just a T-shirt and jeans. It's unfortuate but true!

Pleasant journey on your world cruise. It sounds very exciting! Don't forget to pack your camera, batteries, etc. Take loads of pictures and please post a review when you return. I would love to read all about it and see pictures of wonderful places you will experience on your cruise.

Happy Sailing!

To each his own. Some people do like to dress up, and some do not. But for those who are saying, "no one notice what you are wearing" are mad, unless you are carrying a white cane with a red tip. I always pay attention to my surrounding.

We are taking the train to New York on the 27. Our 120 days world cruise is begin on 01-03-2013. My house is look like the tornado hit, clothes, shoes, luggage, Christmas presents are everywhere. I am getting excited.

Happy Sauturday.

M

Grammar corrected :D

With all due respect, most people who choose to visit the "Cruise Fashions & Beauty" board are interested in fashion and clothes. Although this may not be your choice, many of us find our travel experience is heightened by what we wear. If you aren't interested, please let us be. :D

With all due respect' date=' most people who [u']choose [/u]to visit the "Cruise Fashions & Beauty" board are interested in fashion and clothes. Although this may not be your choice, many of us find our travel experience is heightened by what we wear. If you aren't interested, please let us be. :D

Apparently you do not know Porthopper and I think you completely misunderstood her post. FYI, she is one of the MOST beautifully dressed women you will ever see.:)

With all due respect, most people who choose to visit the "Cruise Fashions & Beauty" board are interested in fashion and clothes. Although this may not be your choice, many of us find our travel experience is heightened by what we wear. If you aren't interested, please let us be. :D

But there are also people who choose to visit Fashion and Beauty because they're interested in packing tips, tricks for handling limited space in cabins, and dressing for travel around the world. :)

Nancy,

I so enjoyed viewing all of your magnificent dresses last year and look forward to doing it again. How fun!

Do I read it correctly that you will be taking a train from California to NYC? Wow!

And do you re-wear any of your outfits? Or do you give them all away and have bought all new for 2013?

Bon Voyage!!

I think what you wear does matter whether it's "elegant night" or otherwise. It has been my experience that my wife and I always receive better customer service when we are nicely dressed rather than just a T-shirt and jeans. It's unfortuate but true!

I have to disagree with that. Or I have to question... if I could have received better customer service by dressing up what in the world could they have done more besides give away their services or items to me?? It's all about the attitude and how you personally present yourself and not the outfit, if dressing up improves your self confidence it could subconsciously be changing the level of service you receive and you might not realize it. Last night I was having a bad pain day but the average person would not be able to tell that by looking at me as it doesn't present itself in a way that is very visible. We went out for dinner, both of us were just in jeans and my hair was pulled back in a ponytail completely limp and I had no makeup on. This was our first time eating there and there were clearly many regulars in the place. We were seated next to 2 other tables that were far more dressed up (one was in a suit)... and yet I witnessed the same level of service from the manager and servers to both groups. In fact he comped our entire meal (which is more than we expected and didn't ask for) due to a few complications (server kept mixing up tables, brought the wrong order/drinks, etc) and we had a fairly detailed conversation about the food (where it's sourced from, how it's made etc). So I ask what more could they possibly have done for us had we been dressed differently?

To each his own. Some people do like to dress up, and some do not. But for those who are saying, "no one notice what you are wearing" is mad, unless you are carrying a white cane with a red tip. I always pay attention to my surrounding.

Happy Sauturday.

M

Hi Marie,

Taking the train to New York? How wonderful. I love train travel - my favourite way of getting around France (and I know you are familiar with that beautiful country), and travelling across the States by train would be fantastic. Enjoy, enjoy.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Cheers .. Bev :)

You definitely misread the post - Marie has the most wonderful wardrobe and is passionate about clothes and is saying that she does always pay attention to such things.

Honestly, I think that you do have people who don't care. However, I'm not one of those people. The clothes are part of the fun for me and I'm not interested in restricting certain items because no one will notice if I rewear a dress. We all just need to get along and realize that we're all different in our packing method.

Happy Sailing!

Hmmm......may have been true once upon a time but I don't think it's true now.

Take a stroll through the first class cabin of most airplanes -- people are not dressed up. They are wearing jeans, leggings, sweats, Ugg boots. The flight attendants treat them all at the level that first class requires.

Or another example -- there is one mall in my city which is known to be the "upscale" mall, with Nordstroms, Saks, Tiffany, etc. Walk around that mall and you'll find most people are dressed the same (and frequently worse) than folks in the adjacent, more "mainstream" mall with Macys, Bloomingdales, etc.

I have a friend who is a realtor. She dresses up VERY nicely every day she's meeting the public and showing houses. She's often showing multi-million dollar properties to people, and she's commented on any number of occasions that her clients show up with approval to buy a $5 million property but they look like paupers. (FYI, I live in a city with a fair number of well paid professional athletes and highly successful popular musicians.)

Does she give them any different service? Of course not. As she says, "You can't tell any more who has money and who doesn't."

It's the middle class that's obsessed with dress and social mores (and it's been that way since the middle class was created in Victorian times). The rich do whatever they want and don't worry about it. Poorer people can't afford to worry about it.

Happy Sauturday.

M

Your trip sounds like so much fun!

I love to dress nicely, but I also prefer to pack lighter than some people here on CC. Packing nicer clothes, but re-wearing them is no problem for me. I sometimes read where people assume that packing light = being sloppy and I totally disagree with that.

I work in a customer service related job and I know from first hand experience you can never, ever tell the difference between the generous spender and the person who can't possibly afford the cost. I've had people in holey T shirts and flip flops plunk down a titanium Amex. I've had people who are nicely dressed/groomed who argue the price with me, trying to get a discount...hint, hint, we cannot give a discount unless approved by the manufacturer in most cases. But they all deserve the same service from our staff.

I wonder how many people would be upset if Jesus, Mother Theresa, Buddha, Ghandi or other respected figure showed up in jeans or something similarly casual on formal night?

They all wore something that looked like nothing more than a sheet.:D

Happy Sauturday.

M

Wow, I followed your link to all the outfits posted. Your dresses are gorgeous but I am not going to fall asleep tonight unless you tell me the make of your black heels (or where you got them) in some of the photos. Totally cool if you prefer not to answer...but those shoes are fab!

Have an awesome world cruise to my new fashion hero on cruise critic!

coka

Your trip sounds like so much fun!

I love to dress nicely, but I also prefer to pack lighter than some people here on CC. Packing nicer clothes, but re-wearing them is no problem for me. I sometimes read where people assume that packing light = being sloppy and I totally disagree with that.

I work in a customer service related job and I know from first hand experience you can never, ever tell the difference between the generous spender and the person who can't possibly afford the cost. I've had people in holey T shirts and flip flops plunk down a titanium Amex. I've had people who are nicely dressed/groomed who argue the price with me, trying to get a discount...hint, hint, we cannot give a discount unless approved by the manufacturer in most cases. But they all deserve the same service from our staff.

I was a flight attendant for twenty two years. Since I speak French, I always worked in the first class section. As a lead flight attendant, I could upgrade you to first class if there was an empty seat. Most people in first class do dress nice, and if you dress like a slob, I am not going to upgrade you. I have to think of those who paid to sit there.

My husband and I go to Las Vegas every two months. We always stay at the Venetian or Palazzo. Every time we go, we always eat at their five star restaurants and see the shows, but we never pay for the room, foods or the shows. Why? According to my Grazie card, I am a high roller; but I am not, my limit at the crap table is five hundred each night. I learned long time ago, if the pit boss likes you, he will add lot of points to your card. I always dress nice, remember their names and tip them well.

Take care

M

Hi Marie,

Taking the train to New York? How wonderful. I love train travel - my favourite way of getting around France (and I know you are familiar with that beautiful country), and travelling across the States by train would be fantastic. Enjoy, enjoy.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Cheers .. Bev :)

Hi Bev,

Hope all is well with you. Yes, we are taking the train to New York. We are planing to be at the Time Square for the New Year Eve :).

I grew up on a five acres vinyard out side Lyon. My husband always say I grew up on a raisin farm :D. When I was young, we always took the train to Holland to see the tuplips.

Take care and have a wonderful Holiday.

M

Apparently you do not know Porthopper and I think you completely misunderstood her post. FYI, she is one of the MOST beautifully dressed women you will ever see.:)

Hi C,

You are too kind :). How are you feeling today? Say Hello to G. I will call you sometime on Thursday.

MLTY.

M

Nancy,

I so enjoyed viewing all of your magnificent dresses last year and look forward to doing it again. How fun!

Do I read it correctly that you will be taking a train from California to NYC? Wow!

And do you re-wear any of your outfits? Or do you give them all away and have bought all new for 2013?

Bon Voyage!!

I donated many of my last cruise dresses and gowns at CC clothes recycle thread. I did buy a lot of dresses and gowns for my up coming cruise.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Marie

Wow, I followed your link to all the outfits posted. Your dresses are gorgeous but I am not going to fall asleep tonight unless you tell me the make of your black heels (or where you got them) in some of the photos. Totally cool if you prefer not to answer...but those shoes are fab!

Have an awesome world cruise to my new fashion hero on cruise critic!

coka

Thank you. The black heels are Kate Spade, I got them at Bloomingdales. They are on sale right now.

Marie

I am enjoying this thread because I have always found it amusing that I get better service when I am nicely dressed and made up - especially in businesses where they are working on commission. At Winners (TJ Maxx) they don't care how you look, but if you go to a more upscale store they look you up and down to see if you are likely to be able to afford their clothes. If possible, they will check what you are driving. I have been asked by realtors, "Is that your car?"

Archived