Minibar charges on Explorer

gfcacc

Just returned from a great 10 day cruise on the Explorer. This was our 26th cruise and 2nd on Explorer. The only complaint I have is with minibar charges which appeared on our account. The first came when 4 quart bottles of water were put in our cabin where there were already 4 bottles . After getting the charges for those off our account I was assured it was an unintentional mistake. No other problems until I checked the charges to our credit card and found it nearly $6 over what our final bill said. Upon inquiry I was told it was for minibar charges after the final bill was printed. In 26 cruises we have never ever used any thing from the minibar!!! Contesting this now is a bigger pain than it is worth. Just a warning-----be careful

Just returned from a great 10 day cruise on the Explorer. This was our 26th cruise and 2nd on Explorer. The only complaint I have is with minibar charges which appeared on our account. The first came when 4 quart bottles of water were put in our cabin where there were already 4 bottles . After getting the charges for those off our account I was assured it was an unintentional mistake. No other problems until I checked the charges to our credit card and found it nearly $6 over what our final bill said. Upon inquiry I was told it was for minibar charges after the final bill was printed. In 26 cruises we have never ever used any thing from the minibar!!! Contesting this now is a bigger pain than it is worth. Just a warning-----be careful

Here is the number to the Post Cruise Customer Service 1-800-256-6649. Give them a call and explain your situation. Have your booking number handy as they will ask for it or your folio number which is on your SeaPass card.

Just returned from a great 10 day cruise on the Explorer. This was our 26th cruise and 2nd on Explorer. The only complaint I have is with minibar charges which appeared on our account.

Same thing on our EOS cruise.

We were charged a couple of times for the mini bar, which we never used.

I am sure the min bar dude gets paid a percentage on whatever is billed. I did have a nice talk with guest services about this.

Multiply $6 mistakes that no one chases by a few thousand and that is some nice pocket change. Just being a little cynical, here.

The mornings of turn around, the cabin doors are frequently left open to facilitate the cabin preparation. Anyone, crew or passengers leaving, can walk into the cabins and help themselves. Add to that every live body they can coerce into helping turn the cabins are used so it would be near impossible to nail a thirsty/hungry crew member who partook of some of the contents.

Since I never use the mini-bar, I ask that the contents be removed. In the old days, it was a hit or miss. Seventy-five percent of the time, it was done. On other occasions told they were not allowed to do it, had it done but the stuff was bagged and put under the bed or in a cabinet, and, once, stuffed around the edges of the refrigerator inside the cubical. In that case, one of the cans worked itself up around the hinge of the refrigerator and when I opened the door, it punctured the can. However, I had no problem getting the charge removed when I showed them the unopened can with a hole in it.

Lately, the mini-bar has been serviced by a F&B person who periodically/sometimes daily have to check to restock and charge. I ask them to take the contents to wherever they are going and it has been done immediately. I figure they are happy to do it because that's one less cabin they have to check.

I worry about robes "walking" with a disembarking passengerso I leave them out the last night with a note to the steward that we are through with them and please take them. I, also, make sure the pool towels are properly checked off when I turn them in by double checking the cabin number is correct.

Celebrity locks up the refrigerators the last night and removes any items (umbrella, binoculars, etc.) that might find their way into a suitcase. You just have to remember to get your own personal items out of the refrigerator before going to dinner. While that irritates some people, I prefer it because then these mysterious charges that pop up after you get home do not appear. I wish Royal Caribbean would do the same.

Tucker in Texas

If someone owed RCI $6.00 they would not let them off of the ship until they knew how they were getting paid. So why should you overlook an invalid $6.00 charge? This happens with mini bars, deck towels, etc. Every extra charge that is not contested is extra money in RCI's pocket that they did nothing to earn. Sorry, but sometimes I just can't put a dollar amount on principles. And that is true even if the amount is only $6.00.

Seriously? You're gonna let $6 ruin the memory of your vacation?

Not at all.

But, having to go to guest relations 3 times on our cruise because some bar stocking thief was charging us for items we did not use got to be a bit much.

I much would have spent that time at the pool or at a bar drinking than standing at guest relations trying to straighten out what seemed like a standard operating procedure of stealing my money.

Same thing happened to me on my last two cruises on the EOS.They were also for a small amount added to my final bill.I was also charged for a pool towel on my final bill that was posted on the last day of the cruise.I saw that in time to have it removed before I got off the ship.

I never said it ruined my cruise. Overall we had great weather and a fantastic trip. But as a few people have said it is irritating to be taken advantage of. Because it was only $6 Ididn't plan on contesting it, but only posted to make others aware of potential problems.

If someone owed RCI $6.00 they would not let them off of the ship until they knew how they were getting paid. So why should you overlook an invalid $6.00 charge? This happens with mini bars, deck towels, etc. Every extra charge that is not contested is extra money in RCI's pocket that they did nothing to earn. Sorry, but sometimes I just can't put a dollar amount on principles. And that is true even if the amount is only $6.00.

You could get off the ship easily with an extra charge if you had a cc attached to your set sail pass - you might not even notice it until you got home.

You betcha! They should be held accountable for erroneous charges. It is inconvenient to have to make the calls about them, but if they are overcharging enough people, then it is deceptive, and it should be corrected....and I hope people complain about it!

You could get off the ship easily with an extra charge if you had a cc attached to your set sail pass - you might not even notice it until you got home.

I am aware of that. My point was that RCI won't let you off the ship if they do not know how they are getting their money. They do not care how little the charge is. If $6.00 is not insignificant to them then why should it be viewed as insignificant to the customer who has been wrongly charged?

Multiply $6 mistakes that no one chases by a few thousand and that is some nice pocket change. Just being a little cynical, here.

The mornings of turn around, the cabin doors are frequently left open to facilitate the cabin preparation. Anyone, crew or passengers leaving, can walk into the cabins and help themselves. Add to that every live body they can coerce into helping turn the cabins are used so it would be near impossible to nail a thirsty/hungry crew member who partook of some of the contents.

Since I never use the mini-bar, I ask that the contents be removed. In the old days, it was a hit or miss. Seventy-five percent of the time, it was done. On other occasions told they were not allowed to do it, had it done but the stuff was bagged and put under the bed or in a cabinet, and, once, stuffed around the edges of the refrigerator inside the cubical. In that case, one of the cans worked itself up around the hinge of the refrigerator and when I opened the door, it punctured the can. However, I had no problem getting the charge removed when I showed them the unopened can with a hole in it.

Lately, the mini-bar has been serviced by a F&B person who periodically/sometimes daily have to check to restock and charge. I ask them to take the contents to wherever they are going and it has been done immediately. I figure they are happy to do it because that's one less cabin they have to check.

I worry about robes "walking" with a disembarking passengerso I leave them out the last night with a note to the steward that we are through with them and please take them. I, also, make sure the pool towels are properly checked off when I turn them in by double checking the cabin number is correct.

Celebrity locks up the refrigerators the last night and removes any items (umbrella, binoculars, etc.) that might find their way into a suitcase. You just have to remember to get your own personal items out of the refrigerator before going to dinner. While that irritates some people, I prefer it because then these mysterious charges that pop up after you get home do not appear. I wish Royal Caribbean would do the same.

Tucker in Texas

Do you really enjoy your trips? 1000's of times $6.00---- stolen bath robes --- cans with holes --- not sure how you sleep at night.

I got it -- mini cam --- tied to your home computer --- 24 hour monitoring.

Just saying relax stop worrying about a 3.75 bottle of water.

Do you really enjoy your trips? 1000's of times $6.00---- stolen bath robes --- cans with holes --- not sure how you sleep at night.

I got it -- mini cam --- tied to your home computer --- 24 hour monitoring.

Just saying relax stop worrying about a 3.75 bottle of water.

I have done over 50 cruises and only once had a problem that required a trip to the front desk to straighten out. A waiter changed a $10 tip to $40 at a specialty restaurant (Carnival, not Royal Caribbean). Never had a bathrobe taken but I have heard of it happening to others and a lot complaining about pool towel charges when the towels were returned and minor mini-bar charges.

Like others, I have better things to do with my time than chase overcharges either on or off the ship so I attempt to avoid them in the first place. As for the can of coke, my room steward took care of it when I left a note showing it had not been opened. If I'd been charged for it, I would have let it go.

Tucker in Texas

I never use anything from the minibar so I always have my room steward remove everything when I first get on board so there's no question what was or wasn't used.

Exactly, we do the same thing every cruise. Then no one coming in to constantly check the mini bar on the cruise as well.:D

:confused:

I am aware of that. My point was that RCI won't let you off the ship if they do not know how they are getting their money. They do not care how little the charge is. If $6.00 is not insignificant to them then why should it be viewed as insignificant to the customer who has been wrongly charged?

Not that its important - cause its not:) But a little confused. If you set up a cc on your set sail - they KNOW how they are getting their money for any charges they put on your account - you just leave and your cc is billed. If you set up a cash account and no cash is left to pay the say $6.00 overcharge - that may be another story - are we talking about the same thing?:confused:

:confused:

Not that its important - cause its not:) But a little confused. If you set up a cc on your set sail - they KNOW how they are getting their money for any charges they put on your account - you just leave and your cc is billed. If you set up a cash account and no cash is left to pay the say $6.00 overcharge - that may be another story - are we talking about the same thing?:confused:

Yes we are talking about the same thing. If there is a credit card attached to the account then RCI knows how they are being paid so they are more than happy to boot you off of the ship when the cruise is over. It is the accounts without a card that gets their attention, no matter how small the balance may be. I guess this sticks in my head because when we sailed Oasis the first time there was some issue with the transfer of credit card information from the terminal to the ship. When the cruise was over MANY people were being stopped at the gangway and had to go to guest services, including ME, because the info was not on file. RCI had all week to contact those people but waited until they were about to step off of the ship with the stress of catching flights and getting families home. My parerets were also stopped for the same reason and since I bought almost everything for them their account balance was $11.00. It left a bit of a sour taste for me at the end of the cruise.

Yes we are talking about the same thing. If there is a credit card attached to the account then RCI knows how they are being paid so they are more than happy to boot you off of the ship when the cruise is over. It is the accounts without a card that gets their attention, no matter how small the balance may be. I guess this sticks in my head because when we sailed Oasis the first time there was some issue with the transfer of credit card information from the terminal to the ship. When the cruise was over MANY people were being stopped at the gangway and had to go to guest services, including ME, because the info was not on file. RCI had all week to contact those people but waited until they were about to step off of the ship with the stress of catching flights and getting families home. My parerets were also stopped for the same reason and since I bought almost everything for them their account balance was $11.00. It left a bit of a sour taste for me at the end of the cruise.

I see what you are saying. If that would have happened to me I would have been annoyed as well. We always attach a credit card. Never had this happen to us, but have had charges for the mini bar in a small amount appear after check out. Never pursued it. Only on Explorer.

We just returned from a b2b 3/8 nt cruise on Independence Sunday. The charge card bill came today in the mail and our cruise 12/5-12/8 the charges were $19.32 over what our final bill is. This is not the first or second time this has happened on RCI........also has happened on Holland. I think after reading this post, I will start having a cash account instead of credit card info for them to overcharge after I get home. Has anyone been billed for a minor mini bar charge(or any other charge) after returning home, if they had used cash account? We normally charge everything, but we keep our final statements, and check it against our credit card bill. It is frustrating to have to take time out, ususally left on hold for quite some time, and then be told it's for something you KNOW you didn't use. How do they prove you did or how do you prove you didn't? My time is valuable(especially this close to Christmas!):)

We just returned from a b2b 3/8 nt cruise on Independence Sunday. The charge card bill came today in the mail and our cruise 12/5-12/8 the charges were $19.32 over what our final bill is. This is not the first or second time this has happened on RCI........also has happened on Holland. I think after reading this post, I will start having a cash account instead of credit card info for them to overcharge after I get home. Has anyone been billed for a minor mini bar charge(or any other charge) after returning home, if they had used cash account? We normally charge everything, but we keep our final statements, and check it against our credit card bill. It is frustrating to have to take time out, ususally left on hold for quite some time, and then be told it's for something you KNOW you didn't use. How do they prove you did or how do you prove you didn't? My time is valuable(especially this close to Christmas!):)

In your case, if you had used a cash account, you probably would be one of the people I was talking about who would have been stopped at the gangway as you were about to step off of the ship and sent to guest services to straighten out the balance. So your options are to use a credit card and risk having to spend time fixing things after you get home or use cash and risk not being let off off the ship when you go to swipe your seapass for the last time. You have to decide which option you like the least.

Archived