No steaks on Princess??

Murphey

What is a tri tip?
It's a cut of beef often used for ground beef or chili con carne and other dishes where it's cooked over a period of time. The cut comes from the bottom of the sirloin. On the Island Princess, it was three small, thin pieces of meat that were pretty darned tough. You'd need a really sharp steak knife to cut it and even then, you'd want to cut it in small pieces.

It was there everyday on my recent cruise on the Island Princess, and you could order it as an appetizer or as the entree.

I also found all the beef I had on that cruise to be very tender, tasty, and cooked like I ordered it.

Thank you. My DW will be happy to hear that she will still have that choice.

On the new menus, which were rolled out so not available on all ships, the "always available" tenderloin is no longer available. It's been replaced by a cheap cut, tri-tips, which are tough and not nearly as good. Tenderloin will not be re-added. :( I'm not much of a steak eater and don't like NY strip or tri-tips so I was very, very disappointed on my 17-day Island cruise last Sept/Oct.

Bummer!

We cruise HAL, Celebrity and Princess (pick based on itinerary and cost) and IMHO the beef in the MDR on Princess is the lowest quality of the three. However I think Princess does the best job with seafood. Other than the prime rib I usually stay away from the steaks in the MDR on Princess.

I have to admit that I did think Celebrity had the lowest quality of seafood (especially compared to Princess).

We just got off of Oceania... overall great food! All their specialty restaurants are included (but it costs more than Princess). We took 3 cruises this year... 2 Princess, 1 Oceania. We lost weight on all of them. We don't have an active life at home and tend to over-exercise on excursions during trips. I guess we will lose even more weight if the food isn't as good for our next Princess cruise. If the food isn't good, we eat less.

...We lost weight on all of them. We don't have an active life at home and tend to over-exercise on excursions during trips. I guess we will lose even more weight if the food isn't as good for our next Princess cruise. If the food isn't good, we eat less.
I've never gained weight on a cruise and most people I cruise with don't either. I'm not one for exercising so I do two things: eat only until I'm no longer hungry (as opposed to when I'm full) and finish only what's really, really good. I love salad and fortunately, I'm not a big dessert eater.

On our cruise Nov.17 on the Caribbean the menus have changed and not for the good.

This was the first time my husband did not want a future cruise credit. It was because of 2 things....the food change and the entertainment.

Really wish Princess will reconsider and go back to the other menus or meet 1/2 way. Mmmmo

Go back before the recent menu changes and there were many posts by people saying it was time to change the dinner menus as they had been in place for several years.

Sometimes people get what they ask for. And it is not always for the better.

The "beef" is that there used to be the option of tenderloin medallions every night. Yes, it's all beef but I for one do not like prime rib, beef Wellington, NY strip or tri-tips. I won't order or eat them. They are not the same as a tenderloin any more than white turkey breast is the same as a wing.

beef tenderloins are always served at lunch in the d/r at embarkation. I always head to the d/r on every ship. Dessert is a great souffle.

My sister and brother-in-law just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island. They said there was no more steak on the menu. Only the "tri tip" on the always available section. We are long time Princess cruisers and just can't believe it....Input anyone????

They had NY Strip on my 7 day Ruby crusie last month.

You can always ask the head waiter 24 hours ahead of time or even that night for the strip steak that they serve the last night. I just got off the Crown princess today and yesterday asked for steak and eggs hoping for a minute steak and they gave me a wonderfully cooked strip steak. they have that tri tip steak I never tried but they took off those always available filets. I think they called them tournedos I believe.

You can always ask the head waiter 24 hours ahead of time or even that night for the strip steak that they serve the last night. I just got off the Crown princess today and yesterday asked for steak and eggs hoping for a minute steak and they gave me a wonderfully cooked strip steak. they have that tri tip steak I never tried but they took off those always available filets. I think they called them tournedos I believe.
That's what I plan to do on my February cruise. If I can, and I don't see why I can't, I'll pre-order the tournedos whenever there aren't any entrees that appeal to me. Sometimes, I just order a salad as my entree.

That's what I plan to do on my February cruise. If I can, and I don't see why I can't, I'll pre-order the tournedos whenever there aren't any entrees that appeal to me. Sometimes, I just order a salad as my entree.

I just love those chef salads. Aren't they wonderful?

I just love those chef salads. Aren't they wonderful?
I often order either a chef's salad for dinner or lettuce with grilled chicken strips and honey mustard dressing. It is sooooo good! They make their own honey mustard dressing which is light and delicious. It's not that thick gooey stuff.

I wish Princess would just add the Speciality Restaurants and drinks into the price of the cruise.It probably will never happen.

I hope that they NEVER add it. I don't drink, and I very rarely go to a specialty restaurant. Maybe they could sell you a card with x number of specialty dinners for x number of dollars.

I tried to pre-order the beef medallions one night on the Ruby last month, and they wouldnt let me do it. :mad:

I tried to pre-order the beef medallions one night on the Ruby last month, and they wouldnt let me do it. :mad:

It doesn't surprise me - it would be considered similar to pre-ordering lobster every night. You couldn't do that.

The beef has declined so much on Princess that it is probably not even worth it if one could. Sad.

It doesn't surprise me - it would be considered similar to pre-ordering lobster every night. You couldn't do that.

The beef has declined so much on Princess that it is probably not even worth it if one could. Sad.

So True! Actually, we haven't ordered steaks in the MDR for some years. When we want steak, we go to a speciality restaurant.

On Princess there still are some things we're fine with eating in the MDR ... just not steak, lobster, and a couple of others.

LuLu

~~~~

I'm still going to try it. It might depend on the Maitre d' or Head Waiter. We all know that the only thing that's consistent is their inconsistency. :)

Our family just got off the Sapphire's trip to Hawaii (review to come!) and saw tri-tip every night. My wife ordered it once and was unimpressed. We had medallions once, a New York on the last night, and prime rib twice. Once the prime rib was quite good, but once it was unimpressive.

What disappointed me most was wasting a menu spot every night on a burger. I guess I expect dining room food to be fancier. Go to the Lido if you want a burger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are currently on the Sapphire Princess Christmas cruise. Tonight is the first formal night and beef tenderloin medallions are on the menu. :)

Cruise staff on the Sapphire is AWESOME! My little 18-month-old nephew came with us last week and bonded with Sindy. She was so sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are currently on the Sapphire Princess Christmas cruise. Tonight is the first formal night and beef tenderloin medallions are on the menu. :)

I wonder if that is replacing the filet mignon that was previously offered on a formal evening.

Archived