The Snootiest Ship in the DAM fleet!!

IRL_Joanie

I have no problem with anyone asking me anything:)

I did not have the scooter dropped at our hotel for these

last 2 cruises 25 November 2012 on Nieuw Amsterdam and 2 December 2012 Westerdam. Instead I called Special Needs at Sea and arranged the scooter rental with them. Special Needs at Sea is one of only 2 Scooter/Wheelchair/Oxygen rental companies allowed on the cruise ships. You can check out more info about them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260062 The info is current, though the date of my original post is August 2010.

I Almost always have the scooter arranged for me to pick it up at the Kiosk near the entrance to the terminal. Only twice have I had it delivered to a hotel in Ft Lauderdale and that was a pain in the behind!! Once we were able to get another nearby hotel in the Choice Hotel Chain to pick us up with their handicapped bus and the second time we had to call for a Handicapped taxi............NEVER AGAIN!!! When in Ft Lauderdale now, I use my Walker/Rollator at the hotel and wait till I get to the terminal to pick up the scooter.

This last cruise I drove the scooter across the street from Pier 25 (or was it 26, I forget) to Pier 21 and the Westerdam, THAT was EASY!! I had arranged with Special Needs at Sea beforehand for this and when our cruise on Westerdam was over dropped it off at the kiosk at terminal 21.

Now for Vancouver and our Alaska cruises, since our hotel is right across the street, I do have it delivered to our hotel and I just drive it across the street to the terminal:) Easy as thawing a frozen pie!!

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

My goodness! When on the NA for a collector's cruise in the med this past Aug/Sept, we had a great crew - everyone from the cabin stewards to dining room waiters to room service personnel right up thru the front desk to the captain. And we especially liked our 'cabana boys' on the Cabana Club deck serving us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries!

Must have been a complete change out!

My goodness! When on the NA for a collector's cruise in the med this past Aug/Sept' date=' we had a great crew - everyone from the cabin stewards to dining room waiters to room service personnel right up thru the front desk to the captain. And we especially liked our 'cabana boys' on the Cabana Club deck serving us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries!

Must have been a complete change out![/quote']

The guys in the cabana were really good. There were other people that were also very good. I talked to a lot of people on this cruise and many were surprised that it wasn't just up to the usual HAL. It was very different then my February cruise on the N.A. Please don't diminish other posters experience because it differs from yours.

I guess Im a bit confused.

You couldn't attend the boat drill, but had no problem with the meet-and-greet?

This seems to be a valid question, IMO.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if many of you consider "snooty" to be interchangable with "formal"?

We've been on many ships & cruise lines, and had many different onboard experiences, from very informal to quite formal, but we've honestly enjoyed every cruise we've taken, and the most "formal" cruises were among our most cherished memories. Just my opinion, but there it is. :)

No. Because if there's an emergency, you better know how to get over the rise as opposed to cheese and crackers with CCers.

Yes, and that was her concern also. Did you actually read what she wrote? I met her and talked to her and believe me, she is very concerned with safety. She wasn't trying to get out of it and we didn't have cheese and crackers, but thanks. Why are you trying to paint her in such an unfavorable light?

I'm not. I believe what she wrote speaks for itself. She wanted an exception and topld the Neptune Lounge. It didnt work and she was upset. YET, she made the meet-and-greet. I dont think Im missing the point here.

Think what you want. I don't really care. I've met her and I'm telling you what I know. If you don't choose to believe it that's your choice.

She's criticizing HAL,.

And we all know that's a no no on here. Frankly, this is why I don't write reviews. Some people sit on cruise critic all day and have nothing better to do than to beg people to write reviews. Then the birds come in to pick it apart. I don't know why people want to open themsleves up to that aggravation. I completely understand why so many of the long time posters don't post here anymore. It's draining.

Yes, I thought about it after I quoted it. I think "most" people on this board are bright enough to be able to figure out that was not your entire post. My point is, I was on that cruise and I'm pretty sure you were not. Maybe Joanie wasn't clear enough in her post for you to understand, but HAL did drop the ball on this. To say that she was more interested in eating cheese and crackers then attending the safety drill is beyond the pale.

Joanie-thanks for your review (just got around to reading it). I always enjoy reading yours and most others good or bad-it's their opinion of their experience.

Sorry you had some issues but glad you got your "blue" steak!

Welcome home and hope you are feeling better.

Im sorry you're in denial. Go back to what she wrote.

I don't need to go back to what she wrote. I was there. I'm sorry you can't understand that. Were you there? To accuse someone of blowing off a safety drill and favoring a M&G is not nice. There is nothing to deny but I know that you just like to argue with me and have the last work so have at it. I'm tired of this conversation.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a Snooty Ship!!! From the ship itself to the Captain and most of the crew it exudes snootiness, with a couple of exceptions being, Gilbert in the Neptune Lounge and Budi, our Chief Stateroom Steward. It was like the ship and the people manning her thought themselves above all others and had their noses in the air

Umm .... Helloooo.. you work for C-A-R-N-I-V-A-L .... how snooty can you get ??? Maybe these people need to be reminded of that.

Almost a year ago we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam... with Boozie. I can't see how any cruise with Boozie onboard could be snooty! :D Maybe Boozie left? :(

Our NA cruise we were lucky to have his as well. He was great, such an upbeat person.

Archived