Captain's Club points on 2 night cruise?

bottomfeeder

I'm looking at a 2 night cruise in January on the Constellation. Would I still get a point for this cruise, and would I still get 2 points if I booked Concierge Class? Or is there a lower limit on the length of cruises to qualify for points?

Thanks!

I'm looking at a 2 night cruise in January on the Constellation. Would I still get a point for this cruise, and would I still get 2 points if I booked Concierge Class? Or is there a lower limit on the length of cruises to qualify for points?

Thanks!

Yes you would and that's the major unfairness of the current system.

It's time they changed to the system used by RCCL, who are after all owned by the same parent company, and also by Princess. That is points for nights cruised and not for cruises taken.

Agree and I believe there will be an announcement in January if my Miami Office source is correct.

Agree and I believe there will be an announcement in January if my Miami Office source is correct.

Well if they do that, there is no point in my taking the cruise! :) At least not in Concierge Class!

Wasn't meaning to touch a nerve, just wanted to be sure there wasn't some fine print I wasn't finding on the Celebrity website re credits.

Well if they do that, there is no point in my taking the cruise! :) At least not in Concierge Class!

Wasn't meaning to touch a nerve, just wanted to be sure there wasn't some fine print I wasn't finding on the Celebrity website re credits.

Look at that cruise on a per day basis and I believe you'll find it to be higher than most cruises. The current rules are the current rules and not 100% sure that they will be changed. Changing to days will not be in my best interest in terms of place on "top cruiser" list, but I believe that it is fair. Stictly your choice to take it or not. Personally, I would not at current price, but that's me.

Personally I hope they dont revamp it, as I'll reach select after my october cruise. If they revamp, likely i'll lose ground and it will cause me to wonder why i started to build loyalty to one brand. I realize, however, that it is fairly easy to gain ground on X if you live near a port that does some short runs. I however do not and dont have enough vacation time to fly for vacation often.

I wish they'd have 1 program across the RCL umbrella such that cruises on X got you status on RCL. I realize that elite on X gets you diamond (or is it diamond plus) on RCL - but i'm talking about us low lifes that are only basic so far :-)

If they do revamp their current system - I wonder what happens to existing members that are close to the next level - if anyone is grandfathered or something.

Personally I hope they dont revamp it, as I'll reach select after my october cruise. If they revamp, likely i'll lose ground and it will cause me to wonder why i started to build loyalty to one brand. I realize, however, that it is fairly easy to gain ground on X if you live near a port that does some short runs. I however do not and dont have enough vacation time to fly for vacation often.

I wish they'd have 1 program across the RCL umbrella such that cruises on X got you status on RCL. I realize that elite on X gets you diamond (or is it diamond plus) on RCL - but i'm talking about us low lifes that are only basic so far :-)

If they do revamp their current system - I wonder what happens to existing members that are close to the next level - if anyone is grandfathered or something.

I agree- so far have sailed 25 days + 12 in CC class for 37 total. Have a 4-nighter booked in a 2C veranda and a 13 niter in AQ for 2013. With current criteria, we'll be Elite for our TransPac- a goal I've planned for!

Grandfathering would be appropriate and could easily be implemented for those of us already booked on Celebrity for 2013!!

I agree- so far have sailed 25 days + 12 in CC class for 37 total. Have a 4-nighter booked in a 2C veranda and a 13 niter in AQ for 2013. With current criteria, we'll be Elite for our TransPac- a goal I've planned for!

Grandfathering would be appropriate and could easily be implemented for those of us already booked on Celebrity for 2013!!

yeah I presume if they did do some sort of grandfathering they'd have to limit it to the sailings that are booked as of X date - but even then they'll probably have to somehow convert people. Say that you're Select as of the end of grandfathering so you have 5 captains club credits - but some people at that level will have say 50 days whereas some could have 10 days. So, i wonder if they'd have to somehow alter those with less to be brought up to the level they are grandfathered to.

It will make achieving elite that much harder for those of us who haven't done so, unfortunately, if it does come to fruition :(

And what does your source say about how they will handle all those who already have Elite status?

If they didn't grandfather them in regardless of their number of days they'd likely be lynched LOL. I can't imagine they'd ever be dumb enough to demote anyone. I think if anything it will just be harder to obtain the next level up because you'll all of a sudden need a lot more to get there.

And what does your source say about how they will handle all those who already have Elite status?

Sorry I missed you on Silhouette. Didn't ask for details that they could not reveal. Only discuused the need to make changes in the program and they said that changes were scheduled to be announced in January. They did not specifically mention coversion to "days", but smiled broadly when I mentioned it. Neither confirmed or denied, but left me with a stong impression that a decision has been made. This seems to be consistent with Michael Bayley's comments on Cruise Critic. You remember that he responded that he would have something to say about the loyalty program when he returned to Cruise Critic.

We're booked on this cruise - but not for the points. We like short cruises and this one happens to fall on a holiday weekend so we don't have to take any time off work.

Apparently, we qualify for Select status because we're Platinum on Royal Caribbean. But honestly, I really don't see any real benefits. Priority boarding along with 95% of the rest of the passengers. :)

Sorry I missed you on Silhouette. Didn't ask for details that they could not reveal. Only discuused the need to make changes in the program and they said that changes were scheduled to be announced in January. They did not specifically mention coversion to "days", but smiled broadly when I mentioned it. Neither confirmed or denied, but left me with a stong impression that a decision has been made. This seems to be consistent with Michael Bayley's comments on Cruise Critic. You remember that he responded that he would have something to say about the loyalty program when he returned to Cruise Critic.

I only have one (WONDERFUL) cruise on Celebrity and a Med cruise planned for early Spring 2013, but we have Elite status because we have over 50 cruises with RCCL. We are moving from RCCL to Celebrity because it has become a better fit for us.

As far as you know – do you expect the reciprocal agreement stay in place? With only 2 points, we wouldn’t qualify for any perks. We are counting on those Elite benefits for our Med cruise.

Thanks

M

I only have one (WONDERFUL) cruise on Celebrity and a Med cruise planned for early Spring 2013, but we have Elite status because we have over 50 cruises with RCCL. We are moving from RCCL to Celebrity because it has become a better fit for us.

As far as you know – do you expect the reciprocal agreement stay in place? With only 2 points, we wouldn’t qualify for any perks. We are counting on those Elite benefits for our Med cruise.

Thanks

M

Don't know the answer to your question. We'll just have to wait and see if changes are announced and what they might include.

We're booked on this cruise - but not for the points. We like short cruises and this one happens to fall on a holiday weekend so we don't have to take any time off work.

That was the other reason I was considering it. At this point in my life I have greater limitations on the amount of time I can take off work than I do on the amount of money I can spend on a cruise. :) I need 3 more points for Elite and I'd really like to get there if I can find a couple of inexpensive short cruises to serve that purpose--and now that I live in FL taking a long weekend for a cruise is a lot more viable since I don't have to fly.

Although, if Elite isn't going to give me free internet and free drinks anymore I'm not sure it's worth trying very hard to get there...hmm.

Don't know the answer to your question. We'll just have to wait and see if changes are announced and what they might include.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll wait and see. To be honest, RCCL's program needs more changes. RCCL comes up with ways to really make it easy to gain different levels to the point that everyone has some sort of priority status and the venues are simply too crowded.

M,

That was the other reason I was considering it. At this point in my life I have greater limitations on the amount of time I can take off work than I do on the amount of money I can spend on a cruise. :) I need 3 more points for Elite and I'd really like to get there if I can find a couple of inexpensive short cruises to serve that purpose--and now that I live in FL taking a long weekend for a cruise is a lot more viable since I don't have to fly.

Although, if Elite isn't going to give me free internet and free drinks anymore I'm not sure it's worth trying very hard to get there...hmm.

Come join us! It'll be fun even if we have to pay for our own drinks. :)

Celebrity has to change the program. As it stands now, soon half of the ship will have Elite status. While I have had that badge ever since it was invented, I do not have near the number of cruises that many here have but I do have well enough to qualify for any new levels that may be introduced. That said, even if I had only one or two points, the experience and quality of a cruise with Celebrity is far above that with any other line. What we are talking about is a couple of hundred bucks in free drinks and laundry. If that's a deal breaker for you then perhaps X is not for you. BTW, all of my credits have been earned on Celebrity ships and not other lines.

Celebrity has to change the program. As it stands now, soon half of the ship will have Elite status. While I have had that badge ever since it was invented, I do not have near the number of cruises that many here have but I do have well enough to qualify for any new levels that may be introduced. That said, even if I had only one or two points, the experience and quality of a cruise with Celebrity is far above that with any other line. What we are talking about is a couple of hundred bucks in free drinks and laundry. If that's a deal breaker for you then perhaps X is not for you. BTW, all of my credits have been earned on Celebrity ships and not other lines.

You need to sail on Celebrity ships to earn their credits:confused:

Like CruisinCrow we are also on that January sailing, and we booked Concierge. There are a few of us on the roll call who booked Concierge or higher (and yes, we sure are paying for it!) for the 2 points. We are building our status for the longer cruises we have planned in the future, but we also love that this will be a fun little getaway on a holiday weekend. It's perfect timing, really!

Come join us!

You didn't give enough information to determine your level. Days sailed do not matter for now. It is number of cruises and cabin category. For instance, if your 25 days were cruises of 10, 10, and 5 days, that would be 3 credits. If your 12 days in CC were in cruises of 5 and 7 days, that would be 4 credits (2 credits for each cruise) and you would have a total of 7. Under the current program the two future cruises you describe would get you 4 points (1 for the 4-night and 3 for the 13 nights in AQ) and you would still be Elite. If Celebrity uses the same new program as Royal, your current 7 credits would convert to 52 points. Your two future cruises would get you 30 points, giving you 82, which would be one shy of Elite (assuming they use the same number of points for Elite that Royal uses for Diamond). But my projection is purely hypothetical because I don't know how many cruises you have.

When RCL changed their program, they converted credits to points (which now equate to days).

The old chart (from memory)

1 - 4 points = Gold

5 - 9 points = Platinum (Select on X)

10 - 23 points = Diamond (Elite on X)

24+ = Diamond Plus (Elite on X)

Some examples:

5 credits was converted to 38 points - still platinum

8 credits was converted to 69 points - new Emerald

10 credits was converted to 83 - still Diamond

24 credits was converted to 181 - still Diamond +

here is a link to a post that has a table for the conversion of credits to points from 1 to 100. It is also the first post in a thread that discusses some of the impacts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343037

There were a very few instances where people who were close to moving up with one more (usually short) cruise that were impacted and some of those had manual adjustments after they complained. The net effect of the change was that short cruises no longer counted as much as longer ones and it is a little more difficult to reach the upper levels.

I would expect Celebrity's move to be very similar, but I hope they also make any higher level (hopefully Elite + with a few extra benefits (maybe a meaningful balcony/suite discount :D) a little more difficult to reach to avoid diluting it. I also expect that the benefits of existing levels will not change too much as Royal's remained similar at each existing level.

Archived