Recently home from "The Rock" aka St. Thomas.

laser110

hladygirl,

I am going to be honest and tell you unless the ship offers a tour ( I think RCI does, I have heard) it's nearly impossible.

Here is why: Most ships come in between 7AM and 10AM, figure at least 30-60 minutes before you can get off the ship. Then 20 -30 minutes to Red Hook from where you dock ( WICO or Crown Bay), which is where most of not all trips to the BVI leave from.

It's a 40 minute trip to Jost on a fast boat. The trips that do go to the BVI usually leave early in the day, around 7 or 8 AM in some cases visit not only Jost van Dyke but also Tortola and maybe Virgin Gorda.

Then do the whole thing in reverse, but add in more time in the afternoon( as much as an hour) to get back to yuor ship. Most BVI tours come back later afternoon, between 4-5, usually after you have to be back onboard or the ship has left.

If you found a boat that will take you later in the day, by the time you got the boat, sailed over, cleared customs etc and left time to do it all in reverse, the actually time on Jost Van Dyke would be rather minimal.

My suggestion, stay on St. Thomas. I can recommend some less popular beaches where I think you'll find your day to be pretty enjoyable.

Scott

I have two that are I like. First, would be Secret Harbour. Very quiet beach and most people tend to shy away, or unaware of it. You can rent chairs there from the dive shop and there is a restaurant (Cruzan Sunset Grille) and restroom facilities.

I was there recently and we had two ships in. Only saw one group of 4 people off a ship (you can tell by the towels they had) everyone else was either staying on the island or at Secret Harbour. Here are pics I took with my cell phone around 12:30PM while eating lunch. Sorry the second pic is a little dark, angle of the sun.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

Second, one most people are surprised at because it's very obvious.. Marriott's Frenchman's Cove Evening Star Beach. All, with the exception of 3 beaches in the USVI are public, so being on a resort property is no problem. The beach is small, but offers free chairs. The water is calm, but does have some large rocks. The Marriott has done a good job making it easier to get into the water, by clearing away some of the rocks close to the boat pier. There are freshwater showers to wash off at. Facilities include a restuarant (also called Sunset Grille) but this one makes more sense, since you can actually see a sunset from there. Expect to pay resort prices for meals ( $14 hamburger etc). And of course, bathrooms. There is also a pool and hottub, both which are meant for resort owners and guests, but I can tell you others have "snuck in".

Added bonus is the cool view of Charlotte Amalie, the only beach I know of on the island where you have this view. Since it's located at the timeshare resort, usually passengers off the ship's don't know or think they can go there. On most days it's quiet while resort guests are out exploring the Island. It will get busier later in the day, but by then you'll need to leave to get back to your ships.

Here is a shot of Evening Star beach, taken around 11AM from Frenchman's Reef Hotel next door. We had 4 ships in that day including Norwegian Epic, Grand Princess, Eurodam and Allure of the Seas.

IMG_2032.jpg

Scott

Dear Scott: I would love to hear your opinion about the three beaches you feel are private in the USVI. There are beaches with limited access, but people are legally able to be on all beaches up to the high water line.

There are actually two restaurants at Secret Harbour, the Cruzan Beach Club on the patio which is open for casual breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunset Grill, which is their "fine" dining outlet. Secret Harbour is best experienced as a land-based stay.

I didn't say private, I said not public, as in you can't just walk on the beach. These are Magen's Bay, and Lindquist Beach (both operated by the MBA) and Trunk Bay on St. John. All require you to pay a fee to help maintain the beach and natural area surrounding them. Any other beach you can walk onto, no fee needed or required.

Yes, two restuarants at Secret Harbour.

As note on privacy. We tried to go to Cowpet Bay this past trip, my wife has never been and I wanted to show her. There is no access to Cowpet Bay via Anchorage. All reqire you to use a pass key to gain access to the condo development and hence the beach.

You can gain access to Cowpet Bay via the Elisian, but it's much further down the beach.

Not sure I understand what mean by Secret Harbour being best as land based stay?

Scott

Okay. Well, I consider the Magens Bay Authority beaches to be the ultimate public beaches. They are held in trust for the people of the Virgin Islands. It does cost money to keep them clean, operate bathrooms, parking, etc. and so there is a user fee involved. At "private" beaches, this cost is generally paid by the hotel, condo etc. that is on the beachfront property. Day visitors are not equally welcomed on all of these beaches.

Magen's Bay is the ultimate public beach, it's "our beach" but since you need to pay an entrance fee, I don't consider it public, like I would Brewer's Bay, Hull Bay or Secret Harbour, were you can just walk on, drop your stuff and enjoy the day.

Scott

What I don't like about Secret Harbor is if you're not a guest at the hotel, they limit you as to where you can set up chairs, and that area is very tiny. It's not a welcoming atmosphere, IMO. If you're OK with just a towel, it's probably OK to set up anywhere, but the ship towels immediatlty mark you as a cruiser. I guess that's why it's recommended for land vacationers, yet the same limitations would apply to everyone.

What I don't like about Secret Harbor is if you're not a guest at the hotel, they limit you as to where you can set up chairs, and that area is very tiny. It's not a welcoming atmosphere, IMO. If you're OK with just a towel, it's probably OK to set up anywhere, but the ship towels immediatlty mark you as a cruiser. I guess that's why it's recommended for land vacationers, yet the same limitations.ò would apply to everyone.

hladygirl,

I am going to be honest and tell you unless the ship offers a tour ( I think RCI does, I have heard) it's nearly impossible.

Here is why: Most ships come in between 7AM and 10AM, figure at least 30-60 minutes before you can get off the ship. Then 20 -30 minutes to Red Hook from where you dock ( WICO or Crown Bay), which is where most of not all trips to the BVI leave from.

It's a 40 minute trip to Jost on a fast boat. The trips that do go to the BVI usually leave early in the day, around 7 or 8 AM in some cases visit not only Jost van Dyke but also Tortola and maybe Virgin Gorda.

Then do the whole thing in reverse, but add in more time in the afternoon( as much as an hour) to get back to yuor ship. Most BVI tours come back later afternoon, between 4-5, usually after you have to be back onboard or the ship has left.

If you found a boat that will take you later in the day, by the time you got the boat, sailed over, cleared customs etc and left time to do it all in reverse, the actually time on Jost Van Dyke would be rather minimal.

My suggestion, stay on St. Thomas. I can recommend some less popular beaches where I think you'll find your day to be pretty enjoyable.

Scott

Contact Breakaway (New Horizons), they have a special web page devoted to cruise ship passengers and a trip to Josts. If you can get a small group together it's very possible.

http://visitbreakaway.com/index.php?pageStewardLink=5589

Enjoy - Josts is a great spot to spend your day, be sure to visit Foxy in Great Harbor too!

If you decide to spend your day on STT, if you're not familiar with the beaches I would look at Sapphire, great beach with just enough "stuff" and gorgeous water and island views. But do contact Breakaway to see what you need to make the BVI trip work as the islands of the BVI are gorgeous. Daydreamers also has a shorter trip to Josts. You will need current passports, of course.

What I don't like about Secret Harbor is if you're not a guest at the hotel, they limit you as to where you can set up chairs, and that area is very tiny. It's not a welcoming atmosphere, IMO. If you're OK with just a towel, it's probably OK to set up anywhere, but the ship towels immediatlty mark you as a cruiser. I guess that's why it's recommended for land vacationers, yet the same limitations would apply to everyone.

I agree with you on that, but it was really empty and we had no issue with the "assigned" area. Towels are a dead giveaway for most, but noting says you cant set up a towel anywhere.

Scott

We wouldn't recommend Secret Harbor but some folks like it there because it's very calm. We looked at condos there and after visiting other bays we much prefer Sapphire for the beach, water, snorkeling and views (and condos). But that's our opinion.

Coki is the nicest beach on STT, although Lindquist is pretty and very quiet. But for a cruise stop on STT our pick would be Sapphire. Again, just our opinion. Of course the beaches of STJ and the BVI are even more gorgeous if one has the extra couple hours to go there.

Archived