Traditional Dining Etiquette

Stuartm

We are sailing on the Dawn Princess next week and this will be our first experience with Traditional Dining. I'm just curious about how it works. For example, does the waiter wait for everyone to be seated before taking orders? If we are going to dine in an alternative venue one night do we tell our waiter and/or our fellow diners that we won't be joining them?

For all I know we may be a complete table of novices so I guess we'll just work it out as we go along.

In the unlikely event that after the first night we decide that we are not going to enjoy the company of our fellow diners, how easy is it to be moved to another table?

Any help appreciated.

cheers

Stu

Yes - you should advise your waiter or table companions if you plan to dine elsewhere the next night.:)

The waiters wait a reasonable time for everyone to arrive before taking orders, then they ask those seated if they would like to order now, or wait until the others arrive. Then they would wait a bit longer before going to the kitchen to pick up the first course for those who have ordered. The obvious result is, unless you have advised that you won't be coming, you will hold everyone else up unnecessarily.

If you think you won't enjoy the company of your table companions, just ask the Maitre d' for another table. I will mention that on a couple of cruises, we have commented to each other after the first night that "it's going to be a long cruise" because we felt we wouldn't have much in common with our table companions. Every time we were proven wrong, and had a great time after we got to know our table mates better. First appearances can be deceiving.

You are being very thoughtful and considerate by even asking these questions.

We are sailing on the Dawn Princess next week and this will be our first experience with Traditional Dining. I'm just curious about how it works. For example, does the waiter wait for everyone to be seated before taking orders? If we are going to dine in an alternative venue one night do we tell our waiter and/or our fellow diners that we won't be joining them?

For all I know we may be a complete table of novices so I guess we'll just work it out as we go along.

In the unlikely event that after the first night we decide that we are not going to enjoy the company of our fellow diners, how easy is it to be moved to another table?

Any help appreciated.

cheers

Stu

The waiter will wait for a little while for everyone but you have to realize that the later they get your order in the later you will be waiting for your food.

You should tell them if you are not going to be there. That way they will not wait for you.

If you do not like your table or your table mates see the maitredee and he or she will accommodate you. There is nothing worse than not feeling comfortable

With anything on a cruise. If something is wrong the staff will do their best to

Rectify it.

Just relax and enjoy.

Two things annoy me re traditional dining in the MDR. (We always take 2nd sitting traditional in MDR - better assistance re my Gluten Free tucker, I have to order it the night before.)

1. I hate people turning up 15 minutes late to the table and having to wait to order.

2. I hate people not turning up at all at their assigned table, without letting the MDR staff or us their table mates know, leaving us feeling like lepers.

I like the ships that shut the MDR doors, 10 minutes after sitting starts.

Ah, I feel better now.

I agree its bad manners to show up late for tradtional dining...we always warn tablemates that we probably wont show up on port days...usually just want to veg out after a busy day...we much prefer late dining too. Who wants to ear at 5.15!!

Sue

People on early dinner don't eat at 5.15 or even at 6.15pm. Maybe you were exaggerating to make a point. :D

We always go to early dinner, whether it is traditional dining or anytime. If we arrive in the dining room somewhere between 5.45 and 6pm, and place our orders (say) 15 minutes later, the first course doesn't arrive until after 6.30pm.

I agree its bad manners to show up late for tradtional dining...we always warn tablemates that we probably wont show up on port days...usually just want to veg out after a busy day...we much prefer late dining too. Who wants to ear at 5.15!!

Sue

That's the reason I prefer anytime dining, you don't have a schedule you have to follow. We normally don't eat at home till 8:30pm but I'm sure we will manage to be on time at 7:45. Just means we hit the Wheelhouse Bar at 7pm to fit in the cocktails. On second thoughts make that 6:45.:D

cheers

Stu

People on early dinner don't eat at 5.15 or even at 6.15pm. Maybe you were exaggerating to make a point. :D

We always go to early dinner, whether it is traditional dining or anytime. If we arrive in the dining room somewhere between 5.45 and 6pm, and place our orders (say) 15 minutes later, the first course doesn't arrive until after 6.30pm.

The Sun Princess has early dining at 5.30pm. If you arrived at 5.45pm, everyone else would have ordered and our table was out the door by 7.15, even with coffee, if not earlier.

The Sun Princess has early dining at 5.30pm. If you arrived at 5.45pm, everyone else would have ordered and our table was out the door by 7.15, even with coffee, if not earlier.

Well, that is very early.

Other lines are often around the 6 p.m. mark which as Aus Traveller has you eating from around 6:30 which isn't too bad.

Well, that is very early.

Other lines are often around the 6 p.m. mark which as Aus Traveller has you eating from around 6:30 which isn't too bad.

Times seem to vary. The last time we were on the Sun Princess, early dinner was stated to be 5.45pm. That was the time they opened the doors and people drifted into the dining room over the next 10 to 15 minutes. On our next Princess cruise, early dinner is 6pm.

On Diamond Princess they used one of the four Anytime Dining Rooms , Vivaldis, as a Traditional First Sitting Dining Room, and then opened it up for Anytme at 8 pm.

The "Earlybirds" usually vacated promptly and that allowed them to reset and open the room at 7.45pm.

I like around 7.30 as a dining time and that means you can count on starting to eat at 8.

Archived