Mini Bar Person

joe6666

Who remembers to tip the mini bar guy?

Never use the mini bar ever.

But, on Explorer, we were charged two times. As many others have posted, it seems to be standard operating procedure for the mini bar person to charge for items never used.

Maybe on my next cruise I will tip the mini bar guy ..... leave a note with a ten dollar bill telling him thanx but no thanx, we do not use the mini bar, do not bother to come here, and please do not charge us for anything.

I actually saw the minibar person for the first time on our last cruise. He was dressed like a bar server, and knocked on our door to check the stock. We had used a bottle of the Evian that they leave out on the vanity, and told him we didn't need any more; he said he "had to" keep four there at all times. No problem.

Teddie

the only time I have seen said person, was when I asked for extra gingerale for the room. Actually I've not been charged for the rare soft drink I have used, and we don't ever drink any of the little bottles of liquor.

the only time I have seen said person, was when I asked for extra gingerale for the room. Actually I've not been charged for the rare soft drink I have used, and we don't ever drink any of the little bottles of liquor.

Certainly you don´t, as there aren´t any.

I think the Mini Bar person deserves as much of a gratuity as the Room Service person.

Everyone seems to want to give the Room Service guy a buck or two, why not the Mini Bar guy? He has to work hard all day for little recognition, trying hard to keep your Mini Bar stocked.

Would you tip the Mini Bar person if he gave you extra special service?

I think the Mini Bar person deserves as much of a gratuity as the Room Service person.

Everyone seems to want to give the Room Service guy a buck or two, why not the Mini Bar guy? He has to work hard all day for little recognition, trying hard to keep your Mini Bar stocked.

As I don´t use the mini bar and don´t ask for it to be emptied I don´t feel the need to tip the mini bar person.

Now if I´d use the mini bar a 15% gratuity would be added automatically just like with all bar Services, so a tip would be provided.

If I´d ask the mini bar person to empty the mini bar, I would tip him/her for this Service, just I have done in the past when I asked the cabin attendant to do so.

The mini bar person is most likely a cocktail server by night in the main dining room or some other position. Our cocktail server on the AOS this month was Valarie from Brazil. During the day that was her job...to fill the mini bars of 100 cabins. They have to work fast. Mistakes are inevitable. We LOVED her! I wouldn't have tipped her for refilling the mini bar though if we had used it.

If it is a sevice I do not need or use, and if I never remove anything from or open the mini-bar, or ever see the mini-bar person, why - or how -should I tip him? It is not only not necessary, IMO, it makes no sense. Not sure why I would tip for a service I did not use. Not a matter of how hard they work, its a matter of not tipping for something I did not receive.

And to be clear, I tip for all the suggested sevices (and often above the amount suggested), as well as the DL and CL concierges, and bartenders.

Well, lots of people think they need to tip the wait staff in the MDR when they eat at a specialty restaurant.

They tip the wait staff when they are not using the service of the wait staff.

Isn’t that tipping for no service, sort of like the Mini Bar guy when you don’t use the Mini Bar?

Well, lots of people think they need to tip the wait staff in the MDR when they eat at a specialty restaurant.

Isn’t that tipping for no service, sort of like the Mini Bar guy when you don’t use the Mini Bar?

I do tip the wait staff at the MDR even if I would have a dinner at a specialty restaurant. One meal out of the week is not worth deducting when I benefit from their direct service the rest of the week. I never use the minibar so there is no service I am benfiting from as nothing is used or replaced. And as pointed out by another post, if I did use something their is a tip added to the cost.

To me your argument makes no sense and I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Can I have all the items removed from the mini bar when we board? Just wondering. Traveling in 2 adjoining cabins Grand Suite and balcony for my son and his friend. I don't want them buying stuff out of the mini bar that I will have to pay for:cool:

I tip the mini bar person when I don't use the mini bar, the same amount I tip the pool bartender when I don't order a drink.

You can ask to have the Mini Bar stuff removed......

But most of the time they will simply stuff the under the bed and continue to inventory your Mini Bar.

What, with all the suitcases and drawers under the bed ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1754087

How could they find room to put the mini bar stuff there? :confused:

It is my understanding that you can make this request of your room steward.

It depends on the cabin attendant. We've had it emptied on some ships and others told us just to put it up on a shelf so the mini-bar person can see it.

Oh, and no, we don't tip for a service we don't use.

We ask the room att. They will either get the mini bar people to do it or they have removed it and put it into the closet, under the bed etc. We have met the mini bar people and they don't come into our room they said, they have it marked on their book we are empty.

Archived