happy to be home!

Ians Grandma

To all our cruise critic friends who were so kind to my son, Greg and our dear friend, Annie, after my son and I had to leave the ship in Nuku Hiva..., a great big thank you :-) Things were difficult for Steve and I in Tahiti as far as getting good medical care. We finally made it back to Seattle at midnight on Friday and he was in surgery at 6am. He is doing well. We have a new appreciation for our wonderful hospitals here in the US. Wishing you all a very merry Christmas.

I don't believe I read about your trials, but I am glad to read that things are headed in the right direction.

I have been to Nuku Hiva, and know it is a place where I would never want to be stranded and in need of medical attention.

Welcome home, and best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery.

Glad Steve is doing well! We missed he and Annie on our Nuku Hiva tour and were sad to hear about you both leaving the cruise early. Had a great time diving with Steve in Bora Bora and on Patricks Tour also. We all tried to stay in contact with Annie and ensure she and Gregg had any help they needed

Hopefully Steves recovery will be quick and you and your family can enjoy a wonderful Holiday! Karen.

Welcome home, glad things are going well now for you and your son. We had a similar expierence with my DH but he got excellent care at the Tahiti hospital.

Was your husband admitted to the hospital? My son was not properly diagnosed in Tahiti. We had huge problems with communication as very few people in the hospital spoke English. I didn't understand that they don't provide pillows, blankets,and towels, for instance, until I noticed other patients bringing theirs from home. My son needed to get an ultrasound but they weren't able to give him one for reasons that I never understood. He had to spend 7 days in pain until we got home then within 6 hrs he was diagnosed and in surgery, thank goodness!!!!! I am happy that you had a good experience but it was very different for us:(

• 5 weeks later...

I just came across these posts and am so very happy to know that Steve is doing well. We loved our Bora Bora adventure with him and Annie and were all so worried about you both. Sorry to know of the rough time you had getting him treatment. We send thoughts and prayers as he recovers and hope you all have many more cruises to look forward to.

Jan and Bud

Was your husband admitted to the hospital? My son was not properly diagnosed in Tahiti. We had huge problems with communication as very few people in the hospital spoke English. I didn't understand that they don't provide pillows, blankets,and towels, for instance, until I noticed other patients bringing theirs from home. My son needed to get an ultrasound but they weren't able to give him one for reasons that I never understood. He had to spend 7 days in pain until we got home then within 6 hrs he was diagnosed and in surgery, thank goodness!!!!! I am happy that you had a good experience but it was very different for us:(

Yes my DH was omitted into the hospital there in Tahiti. Yes it was a little difficult because of the language barrier but they manage to find some people who spoke some English. He went through getting an MRI and found out what the problem was. Luckily he didn't need surgery just a few day worth of IV antibiotics.

I have to agree it was strange the way they let people stay in their street cloths instead of grown's, but I think they tried really hard to make us feel comfortable there. I would have to say, all in all we were happy with the treatment he got.

I had a motel near the hospital that was like oh maybe a mile away and I was going to walk back there on the first night. A lady from admissions who spoke some English wouldn't let me. She insisted on driving me there. How great was that........:)

Archived