Carribean Cruise in August

hova

I have cruised a few times before, but it has always been during the winter. This August, for our summer vacation, we are looking at spending a couple days in New Orleans and then taking a cruise to Cozumel. Normally I would like to do this during winter, but we are taking a student with us, and this is the only time we can go.

So…. Is this a good idea? Is the weather normally good, or will it be so hot/humid that we would not be able to enjoy ourselves outside. Also… if there is a threat of a hurricane, are the cruises cancelled, or are they re-routed to another destination? I would consider a cruise out of Florida or California as well.

I haven’t booked anything yet, as I a little unsure as to what to expect.

hova

We have cruised plenty of times in the summer months, you do run the risk of hurricanes - in ten years we have only been affected once I would recommend trip insurance just in case.

The ships will do their best to avoid the weather which means you may miss a port

If you go the end of August you will have less kids, most of the South will be back in school

In the winter, you can worry about flight cancelations due to storms.

In the summer, you can worry about hurricanes.

In the winter, you can worry about temperatures being too cool.

In the summer, you can worry about temperatures being too hot.

Guess I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort to worry so much!

Enjoy your cruise!

It's hot as hell down here in NOLA in August with heat index running well over 100 degrees. That means you have to drink more fluids and there's no better city to do your drinking in than New Orleans! :D We did a 4 day cruise one year in August and other than the heat, the weather was great. Just understand that it is hurricane season and there is a chance that you could run into obstacles from it. We were on the Dream for Sandy and spent an extra day at sea before pulling into Port Canaveral. Schools down here usually start in the beginning to mid August so there won't be as many kids on the ship. Hope you plan to come a day or two early to see the sights and enjoy the great food down here.

the end of august is the worst of the hurricane season, Katrina hit on the 29th. it is hot, humid and just this close to miserable all up and down the gulf coast. cruise lines cut their caribbean cruises in half during july, august, and sept. sailing the med, instead. i wouldn't take a cruise then.

We have 2 school age kids and have to go in the summer every year. We've been cruising this way since my youngest was 3 and she will be 14 on our next cruise. Is it hot? Yes, but not while you're out sailing on the ship,there's always a cool ocean breeze and the temps are perfect.:) But while you're in port it does seem pretty hot sometimes. But we just do snorkeling, beach time, or anything else that's fun and includes water. ;) We have never had a hurricane during the last couple weeks of August (usually between august 13-25 depending on what year) when we have gone. We usually sail out of texas or florida. I'm in Texas and school starts on the last Monday of August so cruise prices drop drastically the week before that which is usually when we cruise. I would do it, like the previous poster said, in the winter there's the risk of snow storms and flight cancellations plus you have to pack winter clothes and jackets. :( whenever you go there's always going to be a negative but just work it out the best you can and enjoy your cruise. :D

As cruisinqt said, the ocean breeze when you are at sea generally makes things quite comfortable while you are sailing. Ports can be hot but the ocean is always refreshing and in town you can always slip into an air-conditioned store.

Hurricanes are a risk, and you'd face a similar risk sailing out of FL or CA. So long as you are not fixed on any particular ports of call the most you likely have to worry about is your departure being moved forward or back a day or two and missed ports.

If budget is not a big issue, August is prime time for Alaska cruises.

Hmm.... seems like its about a 50/50 split on August cruising (out of Florida or New Orleans). I have noticed that prices for the end of August are very cheap, so that looks like a good option. Its a bonus for us if the kids are back in school, as the ship would be quieter. No desire for an Alaskan cruise (I am from Canada, and I have seen enough snow & ice this winter that I don't want to see it again in the summer).

New Orleans is on my bucket list, so I think this is a good opportunity to do both... a day or two on either end of the cruise. thank you hova

New Orleans in August?? whoa boy did we melt. That place was beyond hot and humid.

But that being said-- we always cruise the last week in August/ Begining of Sept.

Its some of the cheapest weeks available.

But booking those weeks do not base your decisions on what port to visit as that could change if a storm is brewing

Since we started cruising, we sailed once in July and I swore up and down that I would not do that again. It was so hot and miserable, that it was hard to enjoy myself. We now stick to cruising in the spring. I realize that some may want to avoid spring break cruising, but I teach so my window of choice is even smaller. Like others have, there will always be a "risk" of something unfortunately, just pick a time frame and book it. Good luck.:)

We have cruised plenty of times in the summer months, you do run the risk of hurricanes - I would recommend trip insurance just in case.

So if a hurricane stops a cruise, does that mean everyone without cruise insurace loses out? CCL just pockets all the fares?

I thought cruise insurance was for if you, not Carnival, didn't make the trip. Can someone explain?

Personally I would not cruise in the caribbean in the summer - way to hot to enjoy it as much as in the winter months - hot and humid that's for sure :)

I completely agree. I just plain dont handle the humidity well so we plan around that. Last cruise we went in April and it was incredibly hot and humd, so I can only imagine how hot August would be. I guess only you can decide this. If you are someone like my dad who loves the heat then you are probably fine.

I would not let the risk of a hurricane keep you from booking, but I would plan to buy travel insurance since you just never know!

We have cruised plenty of times in the summer months, you do run the risk of hurricanes - I would recommend trip insurance just in case.

So if a hurricane stops a cruise, does that mean everyone without cruise insurace loses out? CCL just pockets all the fares?

I thought cruise insurance was for if you, not Carnival, didn't make the trip. Can someone explain?

if the cruiselines cancels-- you dont need the insurance- you get your money back.

BUT most times they do not cancel and just reroute the cruise.

Poor cruisers who thought they were going to the caribbean went to canada instead.

some think they were going to st thomas and went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

cruise insurance is for the person-- reading policies at insuremytrip you will see that some cover all reasons-- and some do not.

You would want weather related cancellation to be covered.

the end of august is the worst of the hurricane season, Katrina hit on the 29th. it is hot, humid and just this close to miserable all up and down the gulf coast. cruise lines cut their caribbean cruises in half during july, august, and sept. sailing the med, instead. i wouldn't take a cruise then.

Actually, the peak of hurricane season is the third week of September.

And summer cruises are hardly cheap. They get cheap right when the kids go back to school.

We cruises three times the last week in August... twice to Canada and once in the Caribbean.

The Canadian cruises were full of fog.. and rainy days in one port and bright sunny day in another.

The Caribbean cruises were HOT but yet lovely... UNTIL>>> the last day, where we sailed back on the outskirts of Hurricane Irene going up the east coast.

We would prefer NOT to sail then either, but often times with kids, that is when we could go.... without those crazy July prices!

Catrin

Actually, the peak of hurricane season is the third week of September.

And summer cruises are hardly cheap. They get cheap right when the kids go back to school.

oh thank you for correcting me. i'll let all those people who were affected by hurricanes at other times know that it was just a fluke of nature and that it won't happen again. by the way, wasn't the southern gulf coast hit by another major tropical storm this last august, too. guess mother nature doesn't read the calendar very well.

oh thank you for correcting me. i'll let all those people who were affected by hurricanes at other times know that it was just a fluke of nature and that it won't happen again. by the way, wasn't the southern gulf coast hit by another major tropical storm this last august, too. guess mother nature doesn't read the calendar very well.

No problem.

But a hurricane can hit anytime during those 6 months. Those people affected by Sandy didn't see that one coming either. 2 cancelled Carnival cruises in the end of any October is vitually unheard of.

Hmm.... seems like its about a 50/50 split on August cruising (out of Florida or New Orleans). I have noticed that prices for the end of August are very cheap, so that looks like a good option. Its a bonus for us if the kids are back in school, as the ship would be quieter. No desire for an Alaskan cruise (I am from Canada, and I have seen enough snow & ice this winter that I don't want to see it again in the summer).

New Orleans is on my bucket list, so I think this is a good opportunity to do both... a day or two on either end of the cruise. thank you hova

Not trying to push Alaska on you but everyone I've talked to who has done an Alaska cruise has loved it. Snow is not that prevalent in the panhandle where most of the cruises go. Well if you discount the glaciers. :)

NO in August will certainly evoke all those novels of sweat stained detectives.

I'm a southerner and am quite used to the heat and humidty. We will go on our first cruise in April so I don't know about the Caribbean. However, I have been to NOLA many, many, many times and I can tell u it is flat out miserable in the summer. NOLA in and of itself has a stinky smell. It just kinda stinks (so sorry if I've offended anyone I didn't mean to). Add tremendous humidity and heat to the stinky smell and you will think NOLA is the "rear end" of the earth. It is just terrible. If you go in the spring time or late fall..... It is just lovely and you really will enjoy the city and all its charm.

Archived