What Should I Know About Alaska Cruisetours?

cruisinnorth

Hi All

We are taking a Alaska Cruisetour in June 2013 on the Island Princess.

What I would like to learn from the gigantic Cruise Critic knowledge base is, What do I need to know before sailing on this cruisetour? I am sure there are many things that I haven't even thought of yet and better be aware of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi All

We are taking a Alaska Cruisetour in June 2013 on the Island Princess.

What I would like to learn from the gigantic Cruise Critic knowledge base is, What do I need to know before sailing on this cruisetour? I am sure there are many things that I haven't even thought of yet and better be aware of.

This was our experience before a cruise on the Island Princess.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

If you're doing the cruisetour first, I'd recommend arriving the day before. The reason being distances are great and you will probably arrive late at night after a long day of travel. Getting up early the next morning to start a tour is a killer.

Distances are far greater than you think. Be patient.

Food is far more expensive than in the lower 48. Budget at least 50% more than you would pay at home.

Have a good camera that can zoom as well as capture shots quickly. You might see an eagle in a tree but it'll look like a pinecone and be meaningless unless you can zoom. When whale watching, the whales don't pose; they're there and then gone. Know your camera before you leave home. Figuring it out while on a tour is not the best idea.

You don't need heavy clothes. Bring layers that can be worn alone or with other clothes for wardrobe flexibility. Bring a lightweight fleece hat, scarf and mittens as they can pack into almost no space yet you'll need them when viewing the glaciers or on some tours.

Zip off pants are great to take, since they cover a lot of bases and dry quickly if it's wet.

Also, something I don't see mentioned here all that often, is that you should pay attention to the size of luggage you carry with you onto the train. If you go on the train. Your luggage has to fit under the seat, so it can't be too big.

Also, something I don't see mentioned here all that often, is that you should pay attention to the size of luggage you carry with you onto the train. If you go on the train. Your luggage has to fit under the seat, so it can't be too big.
You can send a bag on to the ship for your cruise. You don't have to drag everything with you. It's best to pack either two bags or pack a duffel in your bag for your flight and re-pack the duffel with what you'll use on the cruise tour, sending your main bag on to the ship.

You can send a bag on to the ship for your cruise. You don't have to drag everything with you. It's best to pack either two bags or pack a duffel in your bag for your flight and re-pack the duffel with what you'll use on the cruise tour, sending your main bag on to the ship.

Hi Pam,

I meant the small bag you carry onto the train with you. We paid head to the sizes in the Princess lit, but our tablemates didn't. Took them considerable time and considerable effort to coerce a couple of wheeled suitcases partway under their seats. They didn't enjoy it, and they didn't enjoy having to sit funny to accomodate the bags sticking out. So, having seen somebody doing it wrong like that ....

I meant the small bag you carry onto the train with you. We paid head to the sizes in the Princess lit, but our tablemates didn't. Took them considerable time and considerable effort to coerce a couple of wheeled suitcases partway under their seats. They didn't enjoy it, and they didn't enjoy having to sit funny to accomodate the bags sticking out. So, having seen somebody doing it wrong like that ....
Yup. How much do you want to bet they booked online directly and never did any research. :(

You make a good point: read the literature from Princess and make sure you understand it.

If you're doing the cruisetour first, I'd recommend arriving the day before. The reason being distances are great and you will probably arrive late at night after a long day of travel. Getting up early the next morning to start a tour is a killer.

Distances are far greater than you think. Be patient.

Food is far more expensive than in the lower 48. Budget at least 50% more than you would pay at home.

Have a good camera that can zoom as well as capture shots quickly. You might see an eagle in a tree but it'll look like a pinecone and be meaningless unless you can zoom. When whale watching, the whales don't pose; they're there and then gone. Know your camera before you leave home. Figuring it out while on a tour is not the best idea.

You don't need heavy clothes. Bring layers that can be worn alone or with other clothes for wardrobe flexibility. Bring a lightweight fleece hat, scarf and mittens as they can pack into almost no space yet you'll need them when viewing the glaciers or on some tours.

I agree with Pam. We did the cruisetour first with time spent in Fairbanks Princess Lodge and Denali Princess Lodge. We also arrived a day early to get acclamented to time change. In addition, try the train part of the way. We enjoyed the train ride and being able to get up, walk around, go to the dining car -which had really good food. We rode the train from Denali to Whittier. After the cruisetour, you will appreciate just relaxing on the cruise. We enjoyed the Island Princess and her crew.

Also, I agree with others about doing reseach, layering clothes, and suggest that you do Denali Tundra Wilderness tour if possible. It takes you deeper into the park.

We thought Alaska was beautiful with the glaciers etc. You will appreciate her vastness and beauty. Enjoy your cruisetour.

Just to add some other need to knows. On the land portion of the cruise-tour you will only be allowed a single small suite case similar to the ones you roll-on/off of an airplane plus one carry on that can fit under a seat on both train and motor-coach. The large luggage will be stored by Princess until you need it. If you are touring first than your luggage will be in your ship cabin when you get on-board. We are doing a 14 day cruise-tour in May/June on board the Island starting in Anchorage and then picking up the ship in Whitter at the end of the land portion.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

We are also doing this trip this May. Look for the Alaska thread in the Ports of Call forum and it is full of great info. All my questions so far have been answered by people who have already done this trip.

Sue

Archived