Music on the Grand Princess

lovetocruisenow

I was on Grand Princess Dec 15-22 and I too would like to have know who was in charge of the musicians--the scheduling of which band played where and at what time was haphazard bordering on schizophrenic. Many nights there was no one playing "cocktail music" during the hour before second seating dinner. The Wheelhouse Bar--a great cozy place to sit back with a drink and listen or dance if so inclined--had a different band playing a different genre of music at irregular hours nearly every night. The Patter was no help; just listed "Music from our resident musicians" much of the time. (And before anyone else chimes in, I know CD Peter Tredgett was ill for most of the cruise, which is the likely reason for the Patter being so poorly constructed in general all week).

Since you asked for the names of the specific performers, here are my capsule reviews.

THE GOOD

Party band Latin Connection: six member band from Colombia with two excellent lead singers. Usually played sets in Explorers Lounge before and after the lame-o game shows or karaoke each night (which often ran over their allotted time, shortening the band's set). Did a good job backing "rock-n-roll dance party" in Explorers as well. Very adept at the whole gamut of dance tempos, and happily took requests.

Pianist Marguerite Nearing: Only true purveyor of "dinner music" onboard and IMHO was criminally underused. I managed to catch her one night in Crooners, the next night in Wheelhouse--played songs from the 1920s to today, no request stumped her. Sadly I did not see her name in the Patter the last two days--but happily managed to find her playing a set of Christmas songs in the Piazza at 6:00 the final evening (part of the "music by resident musicians program" I guess).

THE SO-SO

Caribbean Band Steele: Lots of Motown, lots of (softened) reggae sung by an impossibly tall and thin young lady. Had everyone dancing in the Piazza backing the Captain's introductions the first formal night and the new-years-eve-ish party a few nights later. Oddy played very little on deck; even replaced by steel drum guy on one of the sailaways. But did appear one night each in Explorers and Wheelhouse(!) where they did play squarer tempos and take requests from the more sedate dancers.

Steel Pan Player David Clarke: Competent enough in this very limited genre of music. Played with backing rythym tape, which malfunctioned during one set in the Piazza--he stopped and started the first verse of "No Woman No Cry" a half-dozen times before packing it in. Was out by the pool as often as Steele was; and yes, they had him take his turn during pre-diinner in Wheelhouse (!!) one night as well.

Resident Band Soundtrack: Woman vocalist, one man programming synthesizer behind her. Played one very-early evening set in either Wheelhouse or Explorers most nights and seemingly went to bed after. Perhaps if they were more energetic and/or popular the nightly lineup in Wheelhouse wouldn't have been so off-the-wall.

THE (REALLY, REALLY) UGLY:

Celebrated Piano Entertainer Maurizio: Yes, that is how his name appeared in the Patter. When you see a performer that (1) mandates superlatives be placed before his name; and (2) only uses one name to boot, consider yourself warned. He's no Sting or Bono. Or Madonna or Cher. (Or even Sonny). His "act" consists of sitting behind the piano but playing very little while encouraging the audience to clap their hands to the taped backing rythym he has cranked up far too loud. Reminded me of a kindergarten sing-along session. He wears very tatty clothes and desperately needs a haircut--does he think that look makes him "hip"? The poorest excuse for a piano bar entertainer I have ever seen.

I

Celebrated Piano Entertainer Maurizio: Yes, that is how his name appeared in the Patter. When you see a performer that (1) mandates superlatives be placed before his name; and (2) only uses one name to boot, consider yourself warned. He's no Sting or Bono. Or Madonna or Cher. (Or even Sonny). His "act" consists of sitting behind the piano but playing very little while encouraging the audience to clap their hands to the taped backing rythym he has cranked up far too loud. Reminded me of a kindergarten sing-along session. He wears very tatty clothes and desperately needs a haircut--does he think that look makes him "hip"? The poorest excuse for a piano bar entertainer I have ever seen.

Interesting comment. We were on a ship with him and Crooner's was packed standing room only. They had to move him out of Crooners and onto Deck 5, and the crowd was still packed every night, standing room only against the railings on all three deck and stairways. There have been lots of positive comments on CC about his 'different' kind of act. If you are looking for ballroom or soft background music, then I guess he isn't you type.

We are just off The Grand. Entertainment was a real disappointment, and agree that it was haphazard. We could never find live music worth listening to or dancing to either before or after dinner.

Maurizio was the only one who drew a crowd but his music was hardly contemporary so for us, not at all a draw.

We found the entertainment to be worst of any cruise we have been on over the past ten years. And the food was as well.

I posted a full review with details.

I assume you made the appropriate comments on the post-cruise survey Princess e-mailed to you.

Certainly. And the food issues were discussed at the time they occurred.

One thing I should have taken to management immediately was the lack of staff intervention when a man at the table next to us in Alfredo's Pizzeria took off his shoe, sock and proceed to use a scissor to trim his toenails. Disgusting and not one staff member intervened. This happened while we were there having lunch.

Interesting comment. We were on a ship with him and Crooner's was packed standing room only. They had to move him out of Crooners and onto Deck 5, and the crowd was still packed every night, standing room only against the railings on all three deck and stairways. There have been lots of positive comments on CC about his 'different' kind of act. If you are looking for ballroom or soft background music, then I guess he isn't you type.

We enjoyed Maurizio and felt privileged to have him on board. We were fortunate to get seats twice during his very packed performances.

Sharon and Talman

If you are looking for ballroom or soft background music, then I guess he isn't you type.

We were not looking for soft or background music. After dinner, we enjoy dancing and there was rarely other live music when we left the restaurants, which was around 10pm.

He was very popular and talented. It was just not our music taste.

We were on the Grand, Dec. 8-22. Latin Connection was very good. They did a variety of music, something for most everyone. IMHO, the best band we have ever had on a cruise ship.

Marguerite was really good. We enjoyed listening to her. Good piano player.

Mauretizio (or however he spelled it). Not to my taste at all. But, he had SRO every night. A lot of people enjoyed his schtick. Good for them. If I never have to hear him again, that's fine with me.

Listen to Latin Connection. You will enjoy them.

Ohiodoglover

We had so much fun at his shows, and evidently lots of other folks did too. Packed every evening, and lots of singing, laughing, and dancing. We would be thrilled to have him booked when we're sailing.

We are currently on the Grand. Maurizio played in the atrium for New Years Eve. There was also 2 other parties with other music but the atrium had a very good crowd. This is the 3rd time we have sailed with him aboard and he always has had big crowds. I like him but my wife is not that impressed.

Tonight there will be a lot of rock and roll music/activities.

• 2 weeks later...
I was on Grand Princess Dec 15-22 and I too would like to have know who was in charge of the musicians--the scheduling of which band played where and at what time was haphazard bordering on schizophrenic. Many nights there was no one playing "cocktail music" during the hour before second seating dinner. The Wheelhouse Bar--a great cozy place to sit back with a drink and listen or dance if so inclined--had a different band playing a different genre of music at irregular hours nearly every night. The Patter was no help; just listed "Music from our resident musicians" much of the time. (And before anyone else chimes in, I know CD Peter Tredgett was ill for most of the cruise, which is the likely reason for the Patter being so poorly constructed in general all week).

Since you asked for the names of the specific performers, here are my capsule reviews.

THE GOOD

Party band Latin Connection: six member band from Colombia with two excellent lead singers. Usually played sets in Explorers Lounge before and after the lame-o game shows or karaoke each night (which often ran over their allotted time, shortening the band's set). Did a good job backing "rock-n-roll dance party" in Explorers as well. Very adept at the whole gamut of dance tempos, and happily took requests.

Pianist Marguerite Nearing: Only true purveyor of "dinner music" onboard and IMHO was criminally underused. I managed to catch her one night in Crooners, the next night in Wheelhouse--played songs from the 1920s to today, no request stumped her. Sadly I did not see her name in the Patter the last two days--but happily managed to find her playing a set of Christmas songs in the Piazza at 6:00 the final evening (part of the "music by resident musicians program" I guess).

THE SO-SO

Caribbean Band Steele: Lots of Motown, lots of (softened) reggae sung by an impossibly tall and thin young lady. Had everyone dancing in the Piazza backing the Captain's introductions the first formal night and the new-years-eve-ish party a few nights later. Oddy played very little on deck; even replaced by steel drum guy on one of the sailaways. But did appear one night each in Explorers and Wheelhouse(!) where they did play squarer tempos and take requests from the more sedate dancers.

Steel Pan Player David Clarke: Competent enough in this very limited genre of music. Played with backing rythym tape, which malfunctioned during one set in the Piazza--he stopped and started the first verse of "No Woman No Cry" a half-dozen times before packing it in. Was out by the pool as often as Steele was; and yes, they had him take his turn during pre-diinner in Wheelhouse (!!) one night as well.

Resident Band Soundtrack: Woman vocalist, one man programming synthesizer behind her. Played one very-early evening set in either Wheelhouse or Explorers most nights and seemingly went to bed after. Perhaps if they were more energetic and/or popular the nightly lineup in Wheelhouse wouldn't have been so off-the-wall.

Thanks for the music info. We are still on the grand starting the second week of our b2b and thank goodness someone got the music and scheduling things straight before we got onboard. The music has been terrific and the patter reliable. I vote with you on the Maurizio thing;)

Debby

Sro means standing

room only . one of the reasons for this is because there aren't a lot of seats in the coroners bar . another reason he draws a crowd is the volume of his music is really loud and attracts People . he uses a very loud soundtrack . you hear his playing very little . he sings in his native language _ not very well and does a lot of gettin

g the audience to clap and sing sometimes . some people love Jon

We were on the Grand for Thanksgiving week cruise and the entertainment (aside from Sarge) was terrible...we are Elite on Princess and I must admit that this was a very disappointing cruise...I believe the Cruise Director (Billy London) should shoulder most of the blame...not only were the entertainers poor quality..but the use of the MUTS screen was practically nil......

You are right. The entertainment is the sole responsibility of the CD The music director even has to answer to him. We had London on the Emerald in September and he is not very good. The Grand now has Peter Tredgett and he's somewhat better. The patter was NEVER reliable with London and is much better now. the entertainment is not that bad. The music is actually very, very good. I wish more people would take time to complete their surveys and/or contact Princess and share their thoughs.

debby

Archived