Mariners Tiles

LeanneLand

I have a question about this. Do you have to attend the mariners lunch in order to receive a tile? Or can it be requested after boarding? This is my second time returning on a HAL cruise, and I'm excited to start my tile collection.

Thanks!

Thanks, Melodie! That puts my mind at ease. We're sailing with first-time HAL sailers so we didn't want to leave them behind while we went to the lunch without them.

Have your friends sailed on any of the Carnival Family of Ships? Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Costa, HAL, Seabourn? If so, they are Mariners and can go to the Brunch.

Have your friends sailed on any of the Carnival Family of Ships? Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Costa, HAL, Seabourn? If so, they are Mariners and can go to the Brunch.

Ahh, yes they have! Both, actually sailed their last cruise together on a Carnival ship.

Thanks for the info! We'll look into that, that's great!

Sometimes they have handed tiles to us as we left the brunch, other times they were in the room, varies.

This has been discussed, but the brunch quality has varied, too. On Noordam a few years ago, it was lovely with nice food, wine and gracious service. A bit special. The captain and cruise director spoke, presenting awards to most senior Mariners.

The last one we attended on Ryndam was rushed ...not even as nice as just a regular main dining room lunch on a sea day. Food was sub-standard...waiters brought food randomly not waiting a few moments for the full table to eat their courses at the same time. Wine stewards splashed some wine in a glass for first arrivals and dashed off never to appear again. No presentation by an officer, just eat and leave. Really disappointing.

The budget staff cut issue again I guess...but it created a poor impression. Not sure it would convince someone to be a Mariner.

Sometimes they have handed tiles to us as we left the brunch, other times they were in the room, varies.

This has been discussed, but the brunch quality has varied, too. On Noordam a few years ago, it was lovely with nice food, wine and gracious service. A bit special. The captain and cruise director spoke, presenting awards to most senior Mariners.

The last one we attended on Ryndam was rushed ...not even as nice as just a regular main dining room lunch on a sea day. Food was sub-standard...waiters brought food randomly not waiting a few moments for the full table to eat their courses at the same time. Wine stewards splashed some wine in a glass for first arrivals and dashed off never to appear again. No presentation by an officer, just eat and leave. Really disappointing.

The budget staff cut issue again I guess...but it created a poor impression. Not sure it would convince someone to be a Mariner.

And the tiles may be handed out at the tables during the Mariner's Brunch! ;) I have also seen the tiles stacked on tables just inside the MDR so one could, if so desired, help themselves to more than one tile! :eek:

I do agree with you that the brunch is nothing really special anymore.

You are rushed in, food is quickly served, which we think has gone down in quality, you get ONE HALF glass of either a wine or champagne (depends on the ship). The wine stewards then run out of the dining room.

Does anyone know if there is anyway I might be able to a tile from the cruise we went on August 2011 on the Veendam?. We didn't attend the lunch and completely forgot about it as we were scrambling to get packed and hurry off the ship due Hurricane Irene closing in as we were arriving in port a day early....:(

We really enjoyed the Mariners' Brunch on the Westerdam in 2009. The food was terrific, and the wine stewards came back to our table several times to refill our glasses. This month on the Westerdam, the brunch was just OK. The food was not exceptional. Each place was set with a glass of sparkling wine. No refills. The only good thing about the brunch was that we enjoyed the company of two of our evening tablemates plus met a nice couple from Mexico City.

Due to concerns with DH's dietary limitations, and the already limited menu of the brunch, we have chosen not to attend during our last two cruises.

1) July, Amsterdam 14-day Alaska -- completely forgot about the tiles. I contacted the Mariner's Society by email, and I received our two tiles by mail within a week.

2) December, Nieuw Amsterdam 7-day Western Caribbean -- received the invite to the lunch... (noticed there was no RSVP area on the card)... I wrote a note to our stewards that we will not be attending, and I requested that our tiles be left in our stateroom. One tile was there when we returned. Raised eyebrows. An additional tile arrived later in the cruise. (disembarked yesterday, Sunday, December 30)

Last April, while aboard the Zuiderdam, I missed the Mariner's Brunch, but let the Concerige know, and they were delivered to our suite that evening. Low and behold, they were a generic HAL tile from the previous (2011) year. I called the Concerige about it, and she said the new, (2012) tiles would be sent directly to my home. Around four weeks later, sure as their promise, two of the new tiles showed up at our doorstep.;)

I do agree with you that the brunch is nothing really special anymore.

You are rushed in, food is quickly served, which we think has gone down in quality, you get ONE HALF glass of either a wine or champagne (depends on the ship). The wine stewards then run out of the dining room.

At the Mariner's Brunch on the recent Amsterdam Panama Canal Cruise, the champagne was already in the glasses on the table when we arrived and there was not a Wine Steward in sight.

Every Mariner Brunch we have attended, we have had all the wine we wished. Actually how much does one really want at 11:00? If there are many Mariners on a given cruise, they have two Luncheons and the first (to which we are always invited) is early. :D

This just goes to show you what you can learn from other people's questions.

We are going on our first HAL cruise this Saturday and I think the tiles are a lovely idea. But I thought we wouldn't get any because it's our first. BUT we are past cruisers on Princess and we do have Mariner numbers so YAY! I'm so happy about my tiles.

This just goes to show you what you can learn from other people's questions.

We are going on our first HAL cruise this Saturday and I think the tiles are a lovely idea. But I thought we wouldn't get any because it's our first. BUT we are past cruisers on Princess and we do have Mariner numbers so YAY! I'm so happy about my tiles.

If I may add.......

Go to the Front Office early in your cruise and tell them you are looking forward to your first Mariner's Brunch. Give them you name and cabin number and confirm you will get an invitation. "Head off" disappointment.... :)

Enjoy......

Yes.

You can call Mariners Society and they likely will mail it to you.

800-547-9139

Thank you sail!! I gave them a call and they should be here within a week or so!

Again......appreciate your knowledge & advice!:)

Happy New Year!!!!

Wow, it's unfortunate to hear how the luncheon has diminished over the years, that's too bad. I appreciate everyone's feedback though and I now have a few other questions.

What day is the mariner's luncheon usually held on? I was under the impression it was on the day of embarkation but maybe I've misunderstood.

Also, if you have sailed before as a guest on a sister cruise line but never on Holland America and attend the luncheon, are you entitled to receive a tile?

Thanks so much everyone for your help. We're leaving in just four more days, I'm so excited! :)

Wow, it's unfortunate to hear how the luncheon has diminished over the years, that's too bad. I appreciate everyone's feedback though and I now have a few other questions.

What day is the mariner's luncheon usually held on? I was under the impression it was on the day of embarkation but maybe I've misunderstood.

Also, if you have sailed before as a guest on a sister cruise line but never on Holland America and attend the luncheon, are you entitled to receive a tile?

Thanks so much everyone for your help. We're leaving in just four more days, I'm so excited! :)

From experience, the date varies, but is usually on a day when the ship is 'At Sea', and not in port.

I think you have to be a Mariner to qualify for a tile; that is, you have to complete a voyage before you can be a Mariner. I am not sure if there is a reciprocal program with another Carnival Company line; my cruises on Cunard have never been added to my Mariner total.

I hope you have a great voyage!

Archived